Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is an AWFUL software company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You seem to be an expert in looking at histrionics but looks like you have missed the Tesla’s service issues shenanigans? This forum is filled with lots of service complaints.
But almost by definition a forum such as this is filled with people who want to vent (which is fine), and so is not a representative sample. People dont post "had a fine service appt last week" any more than newspapers print "dog bites man" stories.

I've had my M3 for 3 years now. It's had two service appts. The first was for a new 12V battery (requested by me as a precaution). The mobile service tech turned up on time and changed the battery in 20 mins, also checked tire pressure and stuff, everything went smoothly. The second was for creaky suspension at the local SC, which they fixed under warranty in 4 hours with no fuss or bother.

Am I more typical or are you? I've no idea .. but nor do you, so extrapolating from your limited experience to everyone else's is invalid.

The ipace is physically smaller in every dimension but it feels larger to her. I think it's because I have the model y steering on the highest boost level. I wonder if lowering the steering boost will make her feel different.

Also having a steering effort selector is good software. Now they need to add it for deceleration/regen.

About two years into my 2021 Model Y LR:
1. I STILL can't get rid of the visualization. It takes up the most visible part of the display, distracting me as I drive.
2. The autopilot software STLL can't even get the visualization right. Flickering, bouncing images of vehicles? That bus next to me is sliding back and forth even though we're both dead stopped. That pickup? It's a minivan. No! It's a sedan. No! It's a pickup.
3. The UI NOW HAS a bit of customization. The speedo STILL needs to be larger, for instance, but I cannot modify anything. But I can put favorites at the bottom. Lame!
4. I want to turn on my heated steering wheel. STILL have to go through HVAC controls. At least now I have multiple levels, I guess.
5. I have not had the car fail to open or start in ages. That's good.
6. The charge port is still a pain in the butt with anything but a Tesla charger.
7. The UI is STILL a total fustercluck. Confusing, tiny icons all over that are difficult to hit while driving. It's too bad that the S3XY buttons are so poorly integrated with the car's everchanging software.
8. The settings menus STILL have no discernable logic. I have to go through several items to find the settings I want.
9. The screen HAS NOT blinded me for no reason in ages. That's an improvement.
10. The auto-bright headlights STILL turn off when signs shine back at them, and STILL don't consistently notice the oncoming car.
11. Autopilot is STILL only good for relatively slow and sedate traffic on a closed highway, and it STILL gets me head bobbing too much.
12. The software FINALLY stopped switching to Tidal every time I start the car.

Tesla is STILL an awful software company, but they're less awful having softened some of their blunders. Here's to less awful!
People keep saying that Tesla is such a great software company, but their software is AWFUL. Bad words carefully avoided but thought loudly:

1. I can't get rid of the visualization. It takes up the most visible part of the display, distracting me as I drive.
2. The autopilot software can't even get the visualization right. Flickering, bouncing images of vehicles? That bus next to me is sliding back and forth even though we're both dead stopped. That pickup? It's a minivan. No! It's a sedan. No! It's a pickup.
3. The UI has no significant customization. The speedo needs to be larger, for instance, but I cannot modify anything. Elon knows best?
4. I want to turn on my heated steering wheel. Not under car settings. No way to hit a button directly on the main screen. Hitting the electric seats button doesn't do it. Nor does holding down on the seat button. Looked it up in the manual on built into the car, and it doesn't even list the feature. Finally searched on the internet and found a screenshot about the feature existing that shows it's in the HVAC screen. Click on HVAC. Look around. Find the button. I'm supposed to do this while driving? I no, I have to memorize where every single unintuitive and undocumented control is. That assumes the control actually exists.
5. The time the car wouldn't open for a few minutes. Then it opened but wouldn't start. Then it finally all turned on 10 minutes later.
6. The time the entire interior electronics were dead, including AC, speedo, and so on. But then they magically turned on 10 minutes later.
7. The charge port that doesn't want to let go, even though charging is done. No button to do it either. Gotta unplug the charger from the adapter then the adapter from the car. I love pointless extra steps. Yes, this is software.
8. Back to the UI: it's a total fustercluck. Tabs at the bottom with tiny icons. Tabs that have no discernable meaning (A circle with stars? Wut?) and then jumble a bunch of unrelated ideas together.
9. The settings menus have no discernable logic. I have to go through several items to find the settings I want, but only when they actually exist. And yes, sometimes I have to search up the location as I tire of searching through tabs.
10. Thanks, Mr. Screen, for blinding me at full brightness when I got in the car at 10:15PM last night.
11. The auto-bright headlights that turn off when signs shine back at them, but that don't notice the oncoming car.

1. I STILL can't get rid of the visualization. It takes up the most visible part of the display, distracting me as I drive.
2. The autopilot software STLL can't even get the visualization right. Flickering, bouncing images of vehicles? That bus next to me is sliding back and forth even though we're both dead stopped. That pickup? It's a minivan. No! It's a sedan. No! It's a pickup.
3. The UI NOW HAS a bit of customization. The speedo STILL needs to be larger, for instance, but I cannot modify anything. But I can put favorites at the bottom. Lame!
4. I want to turn on my heated steering wheel. STILL have to go through HVAC controls. At least now I have multiple levels, I guess.
6. The charge port is still a pain in the butt with anything but a Tesla charger.
7. The UI is STILL a total fustercluck. Confusing, tiny icons all over that are difficult to hit while driving. It's too bad that the S3XY buttons are so poorly integrated with the car's everchanging software.
8. The settings menus STILL have no discernable logic. I have to go through several items to find the settings I want.
10. The auto-bright headlights STILL turn off when signs shine back at them, and STILL don't consistently notice the oncoming car.
11. Autopilot is STILL only good for relatively slow and sedate traffic on a closed highway, and it STILL gets me head bobbing too much.

Tesla is STILL an awful software company, but they're less awful having softened some of their blunders. Here's to less awful!

All the small things
True care, truth brings
I'll take one lift
Your ride, best trip

All the small things
True care, truth brings
I'll take one lift
Your ride, best trip
1679258442812.png

The auto- high beams are about as good as other brands at this point. The rain sensors suck at night, which you forgot to mention. The UI though, is far better than any other vehicle I have ever drive IMO. I don't find it confusing at all. I suggest reading the manual to familiarize yourself with how the UI works. It's quite intuitive.

Reactions: kayak1
The auto- high beams are about as good as other brands at this point. The rain sensors suck at night, which you forgot to mention. The UI though, is far better than any other vehicle I have ever drive IMO. I don't find it confusing at all. I suggest reading the manual to familiarize yourself with how the UI works. It's quite intuitive.
True about the UI being better than most of the computation, unless you actually include physical controls being part of the UI experience. Or if you compare it against the Tesla UI before the 2020 Holiday Update. They have still not even cough up with their past selves, but the last few months finally have brought some progress...

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
I had better auto-brights with other brands. I should not need a manual to use a car, and I'm not going to memorize every menu's items anyway. I haven't really had an issue with the rain sensors, but I tend to manually choose a wiper speed anyway.

Reactions: OxBrew
My software crashed while driving and did complete reset, lost everything. Driving at night in the rain and barely managed to get safely stopped. The hvac went full blast right in my eyes, I thought I lost headlights but I think it was just fog lights turned off. wipers stopped, it was complete chaos. Trying to block the damn hvac, steer and mash the damn stalk for wipers. My wife full on horror movie screamed. I don’t think it’s possible for any other car to fail this dangerously. Spent like a half hour getting everything back to how it should be, *sugar* is so hard to find. Then of course couldn’t get in my house because garage wouldn’t open and why would I carry key. Put me down as yeah the software sucks.

I'm not saying this to crap on anyone's opinion. I completely understand all of these frustrations and have some myself. But just as another point of perspective, I love my M3. I come from a place where before my M3, I had a prehistoric (2016) Subaru. The M3 is just so much better. Autopilot has been a godsend to me, drastically reducing stress on my daily long drives. I can't imagine my life without my Tesla. So for all the software/UI/programming warts, to me, they're still doing a LOT right. Just my $.02, YMMV, etc.

Oh, and regardless of any software gripes, have you stepped on the go pedal lately? Man, is that fun. I know that's not related, but, just saying.

Until the steering wheel disappears, it is unsafe to take your eyes off the road to search the glorified Ipad for wipers, fan, temperature, etc. Tesla has no valid argument here. It is just cost savings at the expense of safety. Love everything else about the car, but doesn’t change this fact. If it was safe, we wouldn’t be fining people $500(Aus) for looking at their phone whilst driving

Until the steering wheel disappears, it is unsafe to take your eyes off the road to search the glorified Ipad for wipers, fan, temperature, etc. Tesla has no valid argument here. It is just cost savings at the expense of safety. Love everything else about the car, but doesn’t change this fact. If it was safe, we wouldn’t be fining people $500(Aus) for looking at their phone whilst driving
Hyundai agrees with you (as do I): Hyundai pledges to keep physical buttons in its vehicles for safety reasons