Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is breaking EU law for "other Europe" sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Top questions I have regarding validity of this line of thought:
Do the EU regulations regarding free trade between member states only apply to companies located in EU member states? (Seems like yes)
Is Tesla considered an EU based company (esp if you are ordering new from Fremont on-line)? (Seems like no)
Even if I am wrong on the first two parts, does Tesla have a justifiable business reason for staging the roll out of the vehicles? (Seems possible)

Reactions: MP3Mike
To answer your 2nd question, should be yes, because the US Tesla has always local subsidiary for each EU country. AFAIK the invoice is issued by a local Tesla company and the payment is going to a local account, therefore Tesla's subsidiaries must obey local EU laws. Nevertheless, a local subsidiary or US entity, both must follow EU consumer rules while selling goods within EU to EU citizens.

Anyway, it is not about staging the roll out, it is about not allowing some customers to purchase their vehicle based on location where they live in EU. This is the discrimination.

Reactions: matija
I completely agree with this activity. A few months ago I suggested the notion of Tesla breaking EU free market regulations on Reddit, and I was downvoted into oblivion :)

If at least the delivery estimator got updated, or some official statement explaining the situation to us 'Eastern Europeans' (I'm located in Czechia, geographically more to the west than large chunk of Austria...) was provided, I could sleep better. Not Elon's 'soon' or 'later this year' :-(

Even in Model S and X we are not equal to the rest of EU - our 'Other EU' page shows wrong prices (inflated by VAT) since beginning of April, and when I asked Tesla Vienna personnel about ordering an S, they told me that they mainly sell inventory cars to Other Europe, and provided me with a list of old S75Ds :-\

The wrong prices for Other Europe region (increased by 20%, double counting the VAT) have been present in the web ordering system of Tesla already since the begining of March. Nobody cares, even in Vienna they say we can’t do anything about it. It looks like that Tesla left the old ordering web pages for Other Europe whereas all the other European countries already have the new design of the web order (for all models - S X 3). Unfortunately, Tesla is a mess in Europe...

Reactions: matija
It would be better for Tesla if small countries like Slovenia would be cover by closet Tesla store/service and they can make delivery also for Slovenia, rather than far away Tilburg or even not possible to deliver. At the end is Tesla which is losing.

In Slovenia we have incentives for electric car 7500 euro, no other taxes, registration is free (only insurance need to pay). I think we have most convenient incentives in Europe. But if people can not buy a car or is difficult to buy, they simply buy BMW, VW, Mercedes,.. which is much more simple to buy. At least that sales guys are happy to sell you a car and don't tell you that you can not buy a car like Tesla do:(

If we wait Tesla store/service in Slovenia, this will happen maybe in 10 year. In mean time could be cover by Tesla in Graz and Tesla in Padova.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you want to buy an electric car if you don't have Superchargers in your County or Service Center. ???
Loool. We have dozens superchargers in our country for years as well as service center and Tesla is giving us a big middle finger. I cannot buy TM3 after 3 years of waiting in queue. I already canceled my reservation and wish Tesla the worst for treating us like a trash.

No, I cannot do that except as a second-hand i.e. used vehicle.
Tesla Stores in German do not take orders from non-german customers. Same with austrian stores, italian stores, etc.
This is not true. Tesla Stores in Germany will sell a vehicle to a non-German customer if delivery is to take place in Germany and the vehicle is to be registered with German license plates. You are, in some manner, not accepting this. Please show us where the EU regulations demand that all suppliers deliver all products to everywhere in Europe.

This is not true. Tesla Stores in Germany will sell a vehicle to a non-German customer if delivery is to take place in Germany and the vehicle is to be registered with German license plates. You are, in some manner, not accepting this. Please show us where the EU regulations demand that all suppliers deliver all products to everywhere in Europe.

This red underlined part is against the EU laws & regulations. Check first post.
Nobody demands that all suppliers deliver all products to everywhere in Europe, but they have to deliver to every EU citizen at the same location as they always do. Either Berlin, Aachen, Düsseldorf, Wien, Paris or wherever their delivery centers are. And than it is up to the customer to legally get the product to their home country, with temporary export licence plates or on a trailer.

Again, this is valid only for members of EU states, not entire Europe, and we are right in this case, as already proven by accepting many orders from Slovenia.

BTW I already scheduled a delivery date this month!