Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is buying back my lemon plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with a similar experience? I am currently driving a 2022 Model S plaid after replacing my 2021 Model S plaid due to a long list of problems. Began with a bad battery, no antenna connection, doors sticking, just a long list. Tesla approved the buyback at the end of March 2022 (they approached me about it, I had a loaner X and was content but they didnt see the vehicle being repaired). Still no buyback and I have been annoying to my local service center. I believe they've hit a ceiling and are waiting on big Tesla to make it happen but they wont give me any numbers or info to handle it myself.

Any advice? Any thoughts on how to escalate it? I do have a personal lawyer but I would rather not go that route.

Reactions: sewing1
Whoa. Would like to hear more about your experience. Each state has different lemon laws, and think my (June 28 2021 very early delivery) '21 Model S may qualify here in CA. How did you get to lemon status?

I had a '98 Jeep that was a lemon in NY a while back - had to file a bunch of paperwork, and basically take Chrysler to court. Won and got them to buy it back. Considering this for the MS.

Honestly I don't think its been declared a lemon. I'm in Florida for reference. Tesla themselves suggested the buyback after the second major repair. I took it in and they called me the next day saying they swapped what they thought was wrong and now more things were malfunctioning and it was going to take them a while to figure it out. I think I got very lucky to be honest on that part. I've emailed 2 different people today at Tesla just asking for an update on my situation as it was approved in March and still not finished. If Tesla could communicate more it would prevent a lot of the problems in these situations.

• Informative
Reactions: nilesborg
I'm no expert, but CA requires several attempts at failed repair before it's declared a lemon. I am very happy to hear that Tesla seems to be proactive with the OP to buy back. They shall bend over backwards so you get a new no defect Plaid. The endless list of error codes they've discovered must be telling them that a buy back the only fix.

Reactions: m3injax
I almost ran into California Lemon Law limits on a 2017 Model S I had. There are a few different types of criteria. Some of them are for multiple attempts to repair the same fault (I think it is the third attempt for something "potentially life-threatening if it fails" and five attempts for other repairs). Another criterion is total time in service within a given period of ownership. I believe it was 30 days (cumulative) within the first 18 months of ownership, which was the category that applied to me.

When I was at 25 days or so, I spoke to the manager at my service center about the lemon/buyback situation that was imminent, and we had a fair conversation. I didn't end up hitting 30 days, but that conversation was sufficient. I did not have to escalate it to legal action, and they were prepared to engage me on a Tesla-based buyback.

Update: After posting this thread Tesla sent me a contract over to finalize the buyback. They're paying me back for everything including FSD and taxes. I'm getting way more back than I was anticipating. I will update once more when I finally get the check. Any questions post here or inbox me!

Nice. I went through a similar process, - bad battery etc (among a million other things), and had my car bought back, so I did the stupid thing and bought the same car again. A fool and his money, I guess!

I’m right here with you, two service visits a month since I bought the car in December 21.

Just initiated contact with the service manager yesterday as the car is in for another 6 day stay this week.

Do you mind telling me where in Florida you are?

Anyone with a similar experience? I am currently driving a 2022 Model S plaid after replacing my 2021 Model S plaid due to a long list of problems. Began with a bad battery, no antenna connection, doors sticking, just a long list. Tesla approved the buyback at the end of March 2022 (they approached me about it, I had a loaner X and was content but they didnt see the vehicle being repaired). Still no buyback and I have been annoying to my local service center. I believe they've hit a ceiling and are waiting on big Tesla to make it happen but they wont give me any numbers or info to handle it myself.

Any advice? Any thoughts on how to escalate it? I do have a personal lawyer but I would rather not go that route.
Look at your local lemon laws online. I hope you can get it settled without a lawyer!

I’m right here with you, two service visits a month since I bought the car in December 21.

Just initiated contact with the service manager yesterday as the car is in for another 6 day stay this week.

Do you mind telling me where in Florida you are?
It was surprisingly easy tbh. I'm STILL waiting to be paid but the process thus far was easy just incredibly slow. I'm a bit shocked at why its taken so long. We have signed contracts from Tesla so not worried about it actually happening or not. Just sucks to have to wait but could be worse I suppose.

It was surprisingly easy tbh. I'm STILL waiting to be paid but the process thus far was easy just incredibly slow. I'm a bit shocked at why its taken so long. We have signed contracts from Tesla so not worried about it actually happening or not. Just sucks to have to wait but could be worse I suppose.
Did you ever get your money? I'm in a similar process, signed a letter from Tesla but then my service manager told me they need additional forms. When asked to clarify they basically ghosted me and are not answering.

Did you ever get your money? I'm in a similar process, signed a letter from Tesla but then my service manager told me they need additional forms. When asked to clarify they basically ghosted me and are not answering.
Not yet. We had our lawyer send a threatening letter to Tesla which actually yielded results. We have signed everything including power of attorney for titling. Still no check though. At the end of the day, the check is all that matters. I will post here whenever I get it due to the lack of resources on this topic online.

Edit to add:

My advice to you would be get the service managers name, the one who runs the entire department and make it a point to make contact with them regularly. That includes popping up at the service center as well. Make your presence known.

Not yet. We had our lawyer send a threatening letter to Tesla which actually yielded results. We have signed everything including power of attorney for titling. Still no check though. At the end of the day, the check is all that matters. I will post here whenever I get it due to the lack of resources on this topic online.

Edit to add:

My advice to you would be get the service managers name, the one who runs the entire department and make it a point to make contact with them regularly. That includes popping up at the service center as well. Make your presence known.
I have the service supervisor's name and phone number. I just signed everything, handed over the title and power of attorney and they said to expect a check in 10-15 days. How many days have you been waiting after signing?

Nice. I went through a similar process, - bad battery etc (among a million other things), and had my car bought back, so I did the stupid thing and bought the same car again. A fool and his money, I guess!
Would you mind telling me how long after you signed the paperwork you got the check? I am going through a buyback and signed all the things they wanted and turned over the title, they say check will arrive in 10-15 days but from my experience thus far and reading this forum I am doubtful.

Would you mind telling me how long after you signed the paperwork you got the check? I am going through a buyback and signed all the things they wanted and turned over the title, they say check will arrive in 10-15 days but from my experience thus far and reading this forum I am doubtful.
It was pretty quick, honestly. The rep I worked with was pretty speedy about things. I can’t remember exactly, but I never felt like it was a particularly slow process after they had my car back.

I have the service supervisor's name and phone number. I just signed everything, handed over the title and power of attorney and they said to expect a check in 10-15 days. How many days have you been waiting after signing?
I signed everything back in August and still no check. We have borderline harassed our service center over it. If anyone here has additional tips on this process for anyone please post them.