Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is charging me $420 for a door rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have had my Model 3 for 1.5years/20k miles and there has been a rattle that started inside my rear driver side door in around August 2019. It’s a metallic rattle coming from the locking mechanism. The locks work fine. I had mobile service try to fix it in Nov 2019 and they did make it quieter they removed the door trim and tightened the bolts. Now that I finally brought it into service for HW3 and to get the rattle fixed they are telling me it’s not covered and asking for $420? Why isn’t this covered under warranty? Mobile Service tried to fix it and couldn’t and goodwilled the service.

See the attached breakdown.

Attachments

• 237D1D2A-C69B-4F85-98FA-F9ADD9075371.png
    237D1D2A-C69B-4F85-98FA-F9ADD9075371.png
    437.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Informative
Reactions: omegafiler
I’ve had many issues with rattles including 4(!) visits to the SC for a Dash rattle. They told me every time that they would only cover rattles that were repeatable and only in the first 12k miles. I would’ve given up but I’m approaching the “mileage cap” and so was forced to get my car back unfixed and immediately make a new appointment which was a huge PITA!

Early adopters are grandfathered to have noises fixed under warranty but for those who bought it later, Tesla has modified the warranty in writing and excluded noises and rattles.

Can you link to a place I could get the original warranty? That sounds correct. What if they say the new warranty supersedes the old one? They can’t do that for car purchases can they?

I would say that the build quality of all of my Teslas were not great by what I have owned in the past (mostly German). I was willing to give Tesla a pass because they are a newer company trying to find their footing, but on my MX I had just about lost it with them.

Reactions: Missile Toad
Can you link to a place I could get the original warranty? That sounds correct. What if they say the new warranty supersedes the old one? They can’t do that for car purchases can they?

Sorry. I was mistaken about the noise exclusion as something new. It's also excluded in the original 2012 warranty as well so it's not new.

Early adopters got the rattles/noises fixed for free in practice even though they are excluded in warranty but not anymore.

Usually, once you paid for the features/warranty, those are sealed and unchangeable.

However, Tesla can change for those who haven't bought, signed, and sealed the prior features/warranty.

An example is S/X didn't have battery capacity warranty so some were able to have their main battery replaced way over 70% capacity.

Now, the new S/X has a specific 70% battery capacity but only applicable for those who bought the car starting with that new date of warranty publication.