Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is delivering on its Supercharger promise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know Tesla gets a lot of grief in this areas for failing to deliver on Autopilot and FSD promises. As well as build quality and service experience. But I have to admit that Tesla is truly delivering in its Supercharger promise in California. As of today, two 40 stall SC stations went live in Kettleman City and Baker. In Bay Area (and vicinity) alone, they have expanded like crazy the last few months with new SCs coming online in San Mateo, Concord, and new SCs under construction in Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Fremont, Sacramento, Lake Tahoe etc.

Good job Tesla and keep the SC ball rolling.

Tesla has often promised to "double the number of Superchargers" by a certain timeframe indicating the rate of installations would increase. In reality it has been pretty linear in North America at least.

2014 - 100
2015 - 113
2016 - 99
2017 YTD - 109

Obviously there is still a month and a half in 2017 and there is an unusually high number under construction, but so far the promises have been about six months to a year late every year.

I know Tesla gets a lot of grief in this areas for failing to deliver on Autopilot and FSD promises. As well as build quality and service experience. But I have to admit that Tesla is truly delivering in its Supercharger promise in California. As of today, two 40 stall SC stations went live in Kettleman City and Baker. In Bay Area (and vicinity) alone, they have expanded like crazy the last few months with new SCs coming online in San Mateo, Concord, and new SCs under construction in Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Fremont, Sacramento, Lake Tahoe etc.

Good job Tesla and keep the SC ball rolling.
Tesla made no “promises”. They do make, and announce their goals.
They are doing a great job with SCs, however, they have missed their stated goals, by a lot.

Please stop spreading the misinformation that Tesla’s goals are “promises”.

They are doing a great job with SCs, however, they have missed their stated goals, by a lot.

Charging Is Our Priority

As Tesla prepares for our first mass-market vehicle and continues to increase our Model S and Model X fleet, we’re making charging an even greater priority. It is extremely important to us and our mission that charging is convenient, abundant, and reliable for all owners, current and future. In 2017, we’ll be doubling the Tesla charging network, expanding existing sites so drivers never wait to charge, and broadening our charging locations within city centers.

No they didn't say "We promise to double the Tesla charging network" but they also didn't say "We hope to double the Tesla charging network."

This statement of we will be doubling the network has been said multiple times in multiple venues (Quarterly earnings reports, shareholder meetings, product launches, etc).

Reactions: croman and David99
The goal was to double the stalls. While they are most likely not hit that goal (by the end of the year as they said) I think they are still making great progress. Some people say California gets special treatment in terms of Superchargers. It might seem like that if you just look at the number of Superchargers. What people forget is that California accounts for almost half of all Tesla cars sold in the USA, yet it is far from having almost half of the Superchargers. On top of that, many Teslas are registered in other states yet driven in California. It is actually a big problem for California (missing out of vehicle registration fees). So if it seems that California gets more love, it's because this is where the majority of Tesla miles are driven.

You are arguing semantics here. Does it matter whether it was a promise or a goal ? (tbh, a public company announcing a goal publicly will be construed as a promise. And people will make purchasing decisions based on that "promise) At the end of the day, Tesla said it will increase the number of Supercharges significantly and they are doing exactly that in CA.

Tesla has often promised to "double the number of Superchargers" by a certain timeframe indicating the rate of installations would increase. In reality it has been pretty linear in North America at least.

2014 - 100
2015 - 113
2016 - 99
2017 YTD - 109

Obviously there is still a month and a half in 2017 and there is an unusually high number under construction, but so far the promises have been about six months to a year late every year.

Is the number of stalls documented somewhere?

You are arguing semantics here. Does it matter whether it was a promise or a goal ? (tbh, a public company announcing a goal publicly will be construed as a promise. And people will make purchasing decisions based on that "promise) At the end of the day, Tesla said it will increase the number of Supercharges significantly and they are doing exactly that in CA.
Granted, it is a fine line, but a very important one.
Tesla is aggressive with their goals, which is good as long as you understand they are aggressive goals and not “promises.
Tesla often gets knocked for not delivering on those “promises”.
Breaking a promise carries the connotation of a willfully malign act. Failing to reach a goal isn’t nearly as ‘evil’.

Granted, it is a fine line, but a very important one.
Tesla is aggressive with their goals, which is good as long as you understand they are aggressive goals and not “promises.
Tesla often gets knocked for not delivering on those “promises”.
Breaking a promise carries the connotation of a willfully malign act. Failing to reach a goal isn’t nearly as ‘evil’.

They did not use the word promise, nor the word goal. They said 'We will double the stalls by the end of the year'. It neither says goal nor promise, so I'm not sure how you can say it's one but not the other. For example if the president says 'I will do this' and then doesn't do it, the press and public will rightfully say he did not keep his promise.

A goal is something you are aiming for without knowing if you can reach it or not. If someone says 'I will...' that is as much of a promise as it gets without using the actual word. There is no 'maybe', or 'we are trying' in "I WILL..."