Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is doing the seatbelt recall at supercharger!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have a Service Center employee just waiting for people to randomly show up? Pretty smart way to do it without inconveniencing people, actually.

They outsourced the check to some very nice guys. Don't get too creeped out if you get approached as they are not Tesla employees. I called the SC to confirm and suggest that confirmation for anyone if you feel uncomfortable.

FWIW, the guys showed me how to do it. A pretty easy check for looseness and symmetry underneath the latch.

@Robertvg it is nice to hear the plan is global. My respect for Tesla and Elon just went up about 3 notches.

Your respect scale goes to more than eleven?

I love spinal tap as much as the next person. However, my respect level is just like the scale at consumer reports. Whenever it gets broken I just reset the bar. This means that, in all practicality, my bar is ∞. Or, if precision is required, a sliding scale based on the amount of maximum respect achieved previously.

:smile:

It was a pretty smart move, or lucky move, doing this in the US during Thanksgiving. There is sure to be more supercharger traffic than usual.

What I saw them check for the pre-tensioner

For those who asked. I should first note that this is just a recollection of a very brief conversation. This should not substitute for Tesla or their agents doing your check.

The first picture below is of the pre-tensioner. Just pull your seat all the way forward and look at the pillar between the front and rear doors (each side).

Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 3.18.03 PM.png

You need to pull down the little sleeve so that you can feel and see the bit that attaches the tensioner to a steel cable in the floor. I put lightning bolts indicating where it is.

Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 3.18.14 PM.png

That black piece should be centered and should show no evidence of separation. Feeling it with your fingers on both sides and then pulling on the end of the tensioner to ensure it is not loose.

That black piece should be centered and should show no evidence of separation. Feeling it with your fingers on both sides and then pulling on the end of the tensioner to ensure it is not loose.
Echoes what my Service Advisor told me verbally today.
* Move rubber cover to reveal the area of interest
* Confirm seatbelt assembly is centered
* Confirm no looseness or wiggle room in seatbelt attachment

What I saw:
* Move front seat forward
* Open rear door to inspect
* Repeat for other side
* Restore driver profile
* Get signature on completed worksheet

I can attest to their willingness to make it as pain free as possible. I had a regularly scheduled service appointment yesterday at the Dallas service center to something small repaired (that was no one's fault). As I pulled in, before I even slowed to 5 mph two guys burst out of the doors directing me to just park right out in front, with pens and paper in hand. They said, "You here for the seatbelt recall?"

As I was waiting for my car to be finished, they had these two guys sitting inside just waiting on cars to drive up. They would immediately go outside and greet them before they even parked to get them in and out in less than 3-5 minutes. And they told me they haven't found a single one that failed aside from the original one (north of 7,000 or so far)

It'll be interesting to see whether Tesla releases any progress numbers this week...

I think it would be a mistake for them not to.

They have done an excellent job of being extremely proactive and doing just about everything possible to make the recall as painless as possible for us--the customers. They are communicating well, and spending some money. The results of that are that a large number of cars are being checked and cleared quickly. It would be really impressive if on Friday Tesla was able to make an announcement along the lines of, "Since announcing this safety recall less than a week ago, we have inspected more than 10,000 cars--well in excess of 10% of all the cars affected by the recall--and have yet to find one that actually has the problem."