TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla is doing the seatbelt recall at supercharger!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Korben, Nov 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Korben

Korben Member

Tejon ranch... Amazing thoughtfulness by Van Nuys SC.

Is this happening anywhere else?

2. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

They have a Service Center employee just waiting for people to randomly show up? Pretty smart way to do it without inconveniencing people, actually.

3. robertvg

robertvg Active Member

Yes, they are doing this in The Netherlands as well. Not at all supercharging locations though.

4. Korben

Korben Member

They outsourced the check to some very nice guys. Don't get too creeped out if you get approached as they are not Tesla employees. I called the SC to confirm and suggest that confirmation for anyone if you feel uncomfortable.

FWIW, the guys showed me how to do it. A pretty easy check for looseness and symmetry underneath the latch.

@Robertvg it is nice to hear the plan is global. My respect for Tesla and Elon just went up about 3 notches.

5. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

It's brilliant.

6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Redonda beach too apparently.

7. Korben

Korben Member

For the check there is no wrench required. Not sure of the procedure you refer to?

8. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

Your respect scale goes to more than eleven?

9. Kratus

Kratus Member

It would be nice if you could make a little video, or illustrated how-to, so that those living far away from a service center could check it themselves.

10. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

11. Korben

Korben Member

I love spinal tap as much as the next person. However, my respect level is just like the scale at consumer reports. Whenever it gets broken I just reset the bar. This means that, in all practicality, my bar is ∞. Or, if precision is required, a sliding scale based on the amount of maximum respect achieved previously.

:smile:

It was a pretty smart move, or lucky move, doing this in the US during Thanksgiving. There is sure to be more supercharger traffic than usual.

12. Korben

Korben Member

What I saw them check for the pre-tensioner

For those who asked. I should first note that this is just a recollection of a very brief conversation. This should not substitute for Tesla or their agents doing your check.

The first picture below is of the pre-tensioner. Just pull your seat all the way forward and look at the pillar between the front and rear doors (each side).

Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 3.18.03 PM.png

You need to pull down the little sleeve so that you can feel and see the bit that attaches the tensioner to a steel cable in the floor. I put lightning bolts indicating where it is.

Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 3.18.14 PM.png

That black piece should be centered and should show no evidence of separation. Feeling it with your fingers on both sides and then pulling on the end of the tensioner to ensure it is not loose.

13. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Echoes what my Service Advisor told me verbally today.
    * Move rubber cover to reveal the area of interest
    * Confirm seatbelt assembly is centered
    * Confirm no looseness or wiggle room in seatbelt attachment

What I saw:
    * Move front seat forward
    * Open rear door to inspect
    * Repeat for other side
    * Restore driver profile
    * Get signature on completed worksheet

14. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Yes. Salt Lake City's supercharger is located at the service center.

Stopped by there yesterday with no appointment and they took care of the inspection while I raided their customer lounge's refridgerator. :)

15. Gabzqc

Gabzqc Member

At random superchargers in Norway too

16. saladman

saladman Member

Bellevue guys are doing an open Clinic on Sunday in Bothell. They'd re taking this seriously and pushing to get everyone through in record speed.

17. JMG

JMG Member

I can attest to their willingness to make it as pain free as possible. I had a regularly scheduled service appointment yesterday at the Dallas service center to something small repaired (that was no one's fault). As I pulled in, before I even slowed to 5 mph two guys burst out of the doors directing me to just park right out in front, with pens and paper in hand. They said, "You here for the seatbelt recall?"

As I was waiting for my car to be finished, they had these two guys sitting inside just waiting on cars to drive up. They would immediately go outside and greet them before they even parked to get them in and out in less than 3-5 minutes. And they told me they haven't found a single one that failed aside from the original one (north of 7,000 or so far)

18. bart513

bart513 Member

My drivers side seat belt does not lay flat, which I'm sure is a different issue. Basically the strap that sits on my lap is twisted....

19. snellenr

snellenr Member

It'll be interesting to see whether Tesla releases any progress numbers this week...

20. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

I think it would be a mistake for them not to.

They have done an excellent job of being extremely proactive and doing just about everything possible to make the recall as painless as possible for us--the customers. They are communicating well, and spending some money. The results of that are that a large number of cars are being checked and cleared quickly. It would be really impressive if on Friday Tesla was able to make an announcement along the lines of, "Since announcing this safety recall less than a week ago, we have inspected more than 10,000 cars--well in excess of 10% of all the cars affected by the recall--and have yet to find one that actually has the problem."