Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is dumping Mobileye???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: newtman and msnow
Who initiated this move? Intel/BMW? Mobileye because of the bad press? Tesla because they can recreate what Mobileye is doing? Did this really happen when Elon made a big call for software engineers? Just lately?

This is certainly one way to make sure Tesla stays a generation behind in autopilot starting ~2018 when eyeQ4 comes out. It feels like BMW was in big trouble and paid Mobileye for an exclusive on eyeQ4.

Not good in my view. Mobileye was the path of least resistance to full autonomy.

There was a rumor in April that relationship was over. Musk visit to MBLY was probably to get Tesla back on-board - obviously did not succeed.

Going with MBLY eteQ4 solution was never in the cards because Tesla would loose the spot as a leader and would be dependent on eyeQ4 delays which are likely.

My guess is that Tesla was planning to continue using eyeQ3 for front facing camera combined with Tesla/Nvidia silicone (Tesla hired Apple chip designer) and more sensors. After confusing trailer with sky fiasco Tesla maybe moving away from the MBLY platform altogether.

I hope that is the case and Tesla is the party that decided to end the relationship.

I also hope this was already in the works instead of being a reaction to Joshua Brown's tragedy.

There are two threads about this. As I wrote elsewhere Tesla likely ended relationship in April. Apparently Musk's recent trip to MBLY HQ was to decide between doing it alone or sign up for eyeQ4.

Considering that MBLY said they need one year to come-up with a solution for detecting cross traffic it may have rubbed Musk a wrong way as well.

• Informative
Reactions: newtman
Tesla because they can recreate what Mobileye is doing?
That would be my guess. I think it is clear that Elon recognizes just how important autonomous driving is. He has authorized hiring a big team to make it happen, and the head of that team reports directly to him. He wants Tesla to have an autonomous system that is second to none. It would be advantageous if Tesla totally controlled such a system and did not have to rely on outside sources for hardware or software.

I doubt that Mobileye's decided to end its relationship with Tesla. They are are valuable, high profile client. It is more plausible that Elon decided to end the relationship with Mobileye so that Tesla has full control and ownership of all aspects of Tesla's autonomous driving system when it becomes a reality, which Elon has stated he believes will be in two or three years (but regulatory approval will take longer).

I think it was Tesla that made the move. Mobileye said that they need one year to detect cross traffic - that's a lifetime in EM years.

EDIT: It's also possible that MBLY is reserving some of the features for eyeQ4 and Tesla, having invested heavily in hybrid eyeQ3 saw no other way as doing it alone (probably with Nvidia's help).

Last edited:
This is exciting news as it confirms that Tesla is developing their own system.
Agreed. I think it is clear that Elon recognizes just how important autonomous driving is. He has authorized hiring a big team to make it happen, and the head of that team reports directly to him. He wants Tesla to have an autonomous system that is second to none. It would be advantageous if Tesla totally controlled such a system and did not have to rely on outside sources for hardware or software.

I doubt that Mobileye's decided to end its relationship with Tesla. They are are valuable, high profile client. It is more plausible that Elon decided to end the relationship with Mobileye so that Tesla has full control and ownership of all aspects of Tesla's autonomous driving system when it becomes a reality, which Elon has stated he believes will be in two or three years (but regulatory approval will take longer