Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is either extremely incompetent, or extremely dishonest, or both.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've already emailed him that screenshot in my initial email this morning... his response to the screenshot showing the charges was that there were no charges.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think about what else Tesla might have charged me for... which is a hilarious thought since I don't even have a Tesla anymore and it's THEM who owe me $63,000.

At this point, I'd do the only thing that gets Tesla's attention: hire a lawyer and sue them for the money they owe you.

But you'll get your $2500s back quicker by disputing the bogus charges with the credit card company.

At this point, I'd do the only thing that gets Tesla's attention: hire a lawyer and sue them for the money they owe you.

But you'll get your $2500s back quicker by disputing the bogus charges with the credit card company.

You're right. I've already disputed the transactions.

Even after the P90DL fiasco I was still wanting to buy a Tesla (after having driven one for 2.5 years), but this is just too much.

• Disagree
Reactions: WdstockWizard
Maybe this is just my conspiracy theory, but I think they are freezing these refunds and even double charging until the quarter is ready in a couple of days. I was double charged the $2,500 reservation fee and now keep getting the run around on getting it refunded.

Additionally, I’m trying to get my $1,000 back from my Model 3 reservation and the site will not finish the refund process and just stalls. I called and they said they are having a website issue and should be fixed by...Monday. Coincidence that all this is before the end of quarter?

Makes me wonder if they want to show investors how much cash they have for the 2nd quarter. If this is true, it’s immoral and they better hope it doesn’t become an issue that ends up in the media.

Makes me wonder if they want to show investors how much cash they have for the 2nd quarter. If this is true, it’s immoral and they better hope it doesn’t become an issue that ends up in the media.

This is just SNAFU by a company growing at an incredible rate, not some conspiracy to commit fraud. That's not going to get Tesla where they want to go (and Tesla knows it).

There is zero evidence this is being done on purpose, just wild, unsupported speculation. Tesla could not hold enough double and triple payments to even put a bump on a balance sheet the size of Tesla's and investors focus more on production/delivery than any payments Tesla might illegitimately put on their balance sheet.

It wouldn't surprise me if Business Insider or some other Tesla foe tried to use these few reports to tarnish their reputation but I think investors have become desensitized to this kind of sensational "what if" or "some people believe" kind of reporting. It's just not credible to anyone with half a brain.

This is just SNAFU by a company growing at an incredible rate, not some conspiracy to commit fraud. That's not going to get Tesla where they want to go (and Tesla knows it).

There is zero evidence this is being done on purpose, just wild, unsupported speculation. Tesla could not hold enough double and triple payments to even put a bump on a balance sheet the size of Tesla's and investors focus more on production/delivery than any payments Tesla might illegitimately put on their balance sheet.

It wouldn't surprise me if Business Insider or some other Tesla foe tried to use these few reports to tarnish their reputation but I think investors have become desensitized to this kind of sensational "what if" or "some people believe" kind of reporting. It's just not credible to anyone with half a brain.

The options are unbelievable incompetency or unbelievable sleaziness.

While I agree with you that it's much more likely to be the former, I'm not sure how good of a thing that is.

My lease runs out in August. I have been looking into buying a used 90D. The "norm" may not be incompetence but damn, Tesla sure has pissed off an awful lot of owners. I am hesitant at buying sight unseen because I just don't trust Tesla the company to be truthful or communicate properly.

I think buying sight unseen in general is not a good idea, and you just have to trust the person/entity a lot to be able to do it. Tesla is the opposite of trustworthy, at least just because of how unreliable and inconsistent they are.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by mere incompetence.

True, true. Although the level of incompetence, at least in my case, is so high that you can't help but think, especially when Tesla has all of your money and you don't have a car and there seems no solution in sight...

Like the Chopr147, my lease ends out in Sep and I am looking for a Used Tesla. I have noticed the price of the same car fluctuate throughout the day as well. Besides asking for the pictures, any other way to have a look at the car before purchase? If the car is located in the same region as you, can you drive to a location and see it? Trying to understand the process.

Damn, and people make fun of "legacy" car makers. I've never heard of anything this outrageous from other carmakers. Tesla, Lol.
Oh I have. 20 years ago I went through hell similar to this on a BMW. I'm hoping they are better by now and maybe my experience was one of the few. So now you have heard it about another car maker. You won't need to state that claim again :D

Tesla owes me:

1. $2,500 credit card refund for my original purchase in May (the car that I've returned)
2. $2,500 credit card refund for my deposit on a new car on May 26 (the one they they've told me I can't get)
3. $2,500 credit card refund for the unauthorized charge they've made on May 27
4. $2,500 credit card refund for the unauthorized charge they've made on May 28
5. Repayment of the financed part of my original May purchase to the bank (the car that I've returned)
6. A big check for the rest of my original May purchase (the car that I've returned)

I am owed all of those, and don't have a car, and can't buy a car.

===

Update: The bank told me there appears to be one $2,500 refund initiated by Tesla. Now, since they owe me 4 separate $2,500 refunds, I have no idea which one, and the bank can't tell me what it is for either. But yeah, yay. I'm gonna get 1 out of the 4 separate $2,500's, and when it goes through Tesla will have repaid me $2,500 out of the $70,500 they owe me! Great progress.

The person I'm working with responded to my email yesterday saying he can't see any charges or anything so he'll contact customer service 'and let me know'.

None of the other emails I've sent (to 8 addresses in total, a combination of customer service email addresses and individual people) have been responded to.

OP - try to be less of a drama queen you can get this sorted out.

Your situation is a bit unique in that you got a car, and you chose to return it, put a deposit on another one, but something happened and that car was not assigned for you, yada yada.

I am sure they could have been more efficient, but trying to raise the noise level by throwing some calculated malice from Tesla in all these will get you some quick hits and TSLAQ follows in twitter, and a call from vultures like Lopez and Mitchell and your 10 days of internet fame.

Your situation is a bit unique in that you got a car, and you chose to return it, put a deposit on another one, but something happened and that car was not assigned for you, yada yada.

I am sure they could have been more efficient, but trying to raise the noise level by throwing some calculated malice from Tesla in all these will get you some quick hits and TSLAQ follows in twitter, and a call from vultures like Lopez and Mitchell and your 10 days of internet fame.

If Tesla was holding $70k of your money hostage ($5k of that unauthorized charges), how would you feel?

Who talked about TSLAQ and stocks and all? I guess you're one of those ones who are convinced there's a giant Tesla conspiracy and anybody who's having a problem with them must be a short seller throwing FUD around.

You clearly haven't read the last few items on my post. This is not just about me not getting 'assigned' a car, and not about 'efficiency'. This is literally about Tesla taking $5,000 of my money without my knowledge or authorization and consent (for no reason - that $5,000 is connected to absolutely nothing) and then not responding to me at all apart from denying anything of the sort took place.

This is not about stocks. This is not even about cars!! They have taken my money without asking me and I want my money back! You really have to see Tesla as a religion to be able to call me a drama queen based off that.

Jesus H Christ (or should I say Elon H Musk since apparently you worship him), the guy got royally screwed and has literally no one to speak with about it. Tesla apologists and Elon worshipers like you are the reason they can keep getting away with this complete and utter BS.

Honestly though, I'm kind of envious that you can just ignore all of this and still think the company is the second coming of....uummm....wait, maybe you're on to something. You heard it hear first, folks...Elon is the second coming. The blue pill bliss must be super strong.