Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is either extremely incompetent, or extremely dishonest, or both.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • I put down a $2,500 deposit for an inventory vehicle. It goes through, I get the 'welcome to Tesla, thanks for your order' email.
  • 2 days later, I get an unrelated call from a Tesla salesperson I had been working with, because they found a car they think I might like
  • When I tell him I already put down a deposit for a car, he says "weird, I didn't get that"
  • He looks into my order and tells me the order I put in yesterday was canceled the moment I put it in. I can't buy this car.
  • (While we're on the phone, I get an email from Tesla enthusiastically titled "Next steps on your Model S Delivery!")
  • I ask him to cancel the order then and get me a refund on my deposit.
  • I was lucky that I received this random call! Otherwise I had no indication my order was canceled.
  • Later that day I check to see the status of the deposit (I know it can take a few days for CC refunds to process). The refund isn't there, but miraculously, there is a second $2,500 charge.
  • I tell this to the salesperson and he says he has no idea.
  • This morning I look in my account - the refund isn't there, the second $2,500 charge is still there, and now there is a third $2,500 charge. For a total of $7,500. On a car that I won't get!

I am just really running out of words describing how incompetent Tesla has been to me. They're now holding onto the $63,000 I paid for a car that I returned to them, still haven't refunded me for the deposit I put down for an order that they canceled without telling me, and charged me an additional $5,000 for reasons completely unknown. It's like a giant black hole that sucks my money in, because I am very dumb.

In the same boat as you... I placed an order for an X, which was cancelled about an hour later (because of being outside my region)... I was charged twice, one ended up getting refunded after the quarter close... Still have an outstanding charge on it that's due..

2019-07-08.png

And then, for the X I ordered last week, again, two charges to the card... No refund on that.

The credit card cycle just closed yesterday, so, paying an extra $5k on the card this month for no reason. Yay.

In the same boat as you... I placed an order for an X, which was cancelled about an hour later (because of being outside my region)... I was charged twice, one ended up getting refunded after the quarter close... Still have an outstanding charge on it that's due..

2019-07-08.png

And then, for the X I ordered last week, again, two charges to the card... No refund on that.

The credit card cycle just closed yesterday, so, paying an extra $5k on the card this month for no reason. Yay.

That is ridiculous! You and I are in the Tesla took our $7,500 for no reason club. I’m sorry!

What does this mean? Outside your region? Just curious what region your purchase was from that made them cancel? Like Hawaii??

Nope. Anything outside of 200 miles to your delivery location. I’m serious.

Nope. Anything outside of 200 miles to your delivery location. I’m serious.

That can't be right.....how about the $2,000 shipping fee....that makes no sense.

And I'm sure tons of people here have traveled out of state to make there purchase.

Maybe another example of inconsistencies, dependant on who you deal with...

That is ridiculous! You and I are in the Tesla took our $7,500 for no reason club. I’m sorry!
Thanks - it's definitely annoying. They really have to work on their website and backend... Every time I've tried to place a deposit, I get "Something went wrong" - a few months ago, I tried, then, I gave up (no charges).. This time, though, I get double charged both times - oh, and I still got a "Something went wrong" when I tried with these two, so, didn't even think I got them until I checked my account.

That can't be right.....how about the $2,000 shipping fee....that makes no sense.

And I'm sure tons of people here have traveled out of state to make there purchase.

Maybe another example of inconsistencies, dependant on who you deal with...
Near the end of the quarter, they won't let you go out of region because that vehicle can be purchased by someone local to that region (which would be a "faster and easier sale")... Had that told to me by more than one advisor (including a call from where the first X was and my local advisor), on subsequent calls to inquire about another X I saw, and a local test drive event last weekend. It might be different during the first part of the quarter, but, they'll definitely cancel your order without even letting you know (even if you intend to go get it).

It worked out better for me in that the second X cost less, and was in my ideal color (exterior and interior), versus the first one.

2019-07-08.png

Wow, that sucks. But you there is no reason to pay $ you don't owe on a credit card. Just dispute it with your CC company. Shouldn't be a problem. That's why we use credit cards after all!

Wow, that sucks. But you there is no reason to pay $ you don't owe on a credit card. Just dispute it with your CC company. Shouldn't be a problem. That's why we use credit cards after all!

It's a company credit card, so, was trying to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt - reached out to the advisor (online chat said send a message to customer support) and his weekend is Sunday/Monday, so, he said he'll check tomorrow.. If nothing gets done, then, I'll tell the accounting people to do the dispute for the first X, but, don't want to mess with the second one yet.

Still haven't had anyone reach out to me for the X I am actually supposed to be getting - wanted to make sure there weren't any issues with a CC dispute and things going awry with that order. If it does, I guess I'm going to get the Kia Telluride (my Volvo XC90 T8 was bought back a few months ago, and, haven't really found a decent replacement vehicle, so, just stuck in various company cars).

That first cancelled X still shows up in my account - I just can't complete any of the steps anymore (nothing will save)...

So, decided to have accounting take a look at the charges.. Turns out that those extra charges are for two Reservation Numbers that can't be located in their system (according to the advisor I work with - he couldn't see them)...

I'm guessing that their website has major bugs, so, in some cases, multiple charges occur. Each charge generates a new Reservation Number. The problem is, since those charges are attached to non-existent RNs, they can't figure out what to do about it. It needs to be escalated. The Delivery Advisor just asked me to send him the information from American Express so he can see if it can be escalated through the back end.

Fun indeed... In other news, it looks like my X will be delivered to the office, rather than us having to head up to the SC to pick it up... Saves a trip.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I'm guessing that their website has major bugs, so, in some cases, multiple charges occur. Each charge generates a new Reservation Number. The problem is, since those charges are attached to non-existent RNs, they can't figure out what to do about it. It needs to be escalated. The Delivery Advisor just asked me to send him the information from American Express so he can see if it can be escalated through the back end.

Yet FSD in 2020, right? Riiiiight...

Update: The situation with the unauthorized charges has been resolved.
Update 2: I still have no word on the $63,000 refund for the car I've dropped off 3 weeks ago. I keep hearing it's being 'expedited' but I don't think I can honestly say any part of not receiving any portion of your 3-part to-be-refund in 3 weeks can be called expeditious.

I still have no car and no means to get one.

[Thumbs up emoji]

Update: The situation with the unauthorized charges has been resolved.
Update 2: I still have no word on the $63,000 refund for the car I've dropped off 3 weeks ago. I keep hearing it's being 'expedited' but I don't think I can honestly say any part of not receiving any portion of your 3-part to-be-refund in 3 weeks can be called expeditious.

I still have no car and no means to get one.

[Thumbs up emoji]

They would solve so many problems by just providing customers with tracking numbers for these deposits. At least you would know its in the mail and on its way. Would save so much angst and phone calls, emails, online chats, etc. Such a simple thing to do.

Reactions: maximizese
Update: No update. Nobody is responding to me. It's been a month since I gave them the car back and I still don't even have a timeline on any part of the refund. Meanwhile I still don't have a car and I have no means of getting one.

Update: No update. Nobody is responding to me. It's been a month since I gave them the car back and I still don't even have a timeline on any part of the refund. Meanwhile I still don't have a car and I have no means of getting one.

Unbelievable! People would get quite upset if they returned something even as small as a phone, TV,... and not get refunded promptly, or at least be kept in the loop as to what's going on. Tesla went dark after receiving a car costing $63,000????? How much slack can the public cut them, and for how much longer?