Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is either extremely incompetent, or extremely dishonest, or both.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unbelievable! People would get quite upset if they returned something even as small as a phone, TV,... and not get refunded promptly, or at least be kept in the loop as to what's going on. Tesla went dark after receiving a car costing $63,000????? How much slack can the public cut them, and for how much longer?

I did get a response today. It made me hopeful that there'll be progress soon, but of course, I'll see it when I believe it. Still, it was good to get a response.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
I did get a response today. It made me hopeful that there'll be progress soon, but of course, I'll see it when I believe it. Still, it was good to get a response.

Sorry to hear your story. To answer your question they are incompetent and they lie all the time. I have an issue I have been battling with them for more than six months and I have everything in writing yet they deny all their commitments, lie and insult you at the same time. The Tesla front line support people are mostly good but the delivery people and managers will do anything to burry the truth.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
Sorry to hear your story. To answer your question they are incompetent and they lie all the time. I have an issue I have been battling with them for more than six months and I have everything in writing yet they deny all their commitments, lie and insult you at the same time. The Tesla front line support people are mostly good but the delivery people and managers will do anything to burry the truth.

Well, actually in the last few days more bad things happened, again about Tesla being incompetent and inconsistent, and resulting in me yet again being hugely disappointed. I am just so exhausted at this point that I don't even wanna discuss it all here, because it's depressing. I just wanna get my money back and run away as fast as I can.

Well, actually in the last few days more bad things happened, again about Tesla being incompetent and inconsistent, and resulting in me yet again being hugely disappointed. I am just so exhausted at this point that I don't even wanna discuss it all here, because it's depressing. I just wanna get my money back and run away as fast as I can.
Uncalled for level of stress.

Just hand it over to a lawyer and let him/her deal with it.

Unbelievable.

Uncalled for level of stress.

Just hand it over to a lawyer and let him/her deal with it.

Unbelievable.

I agree, Tesla will ignore anyone even it they are 100% correct and the only way is legal action. They must have many people doing this and they literally do not seem to care the least. In fact rather than do something simple and low cost they would rather risk legal action. Saying they are incompetent is an understatement. I have never dealt with a more incompetent company of this size, they have the worst customer service possible when it comes to resolving issues that result in them tacking any corrective action.

Update: No update. Nobody is responding to me. It's been a month since I gave them the car back and I still don't even have a timeline on any part of the refund. Meanwhile I still don't have a car and I have no means of getting one.

Ouch - that's horrid. With the amount of capital tied up and being held (and generating interest, I'm sure) I'm sure that would leave anyone with a hatred towards Tesla. Honestly, it seems much faster to do a Lemon Law case versus a return in some of these situations I've seen. When we had to Lemon my XC90 T8 in December, it took less than 36 hours to get a response after the attorney lodged the complaint with Volvo, and, we just had to schedule a drop off for the vehicle, and were provided a check right then and there.

Wow, that sucks. But you there is no reason to pay $ you don't owe on a credit card. Just dispute it with your CC company. Shouldn't be a problem. That's why we use credit cards after all!

Disputes were entered with AmEx yesterday as duplicate charges, so, hopefully it will be resolved soon...

• Informative
A while ago (like 10 days) they requested a payoff quote for my loan which made me hopeful that this nightmare was going to end. They even said it would be paid off before my next payment on the loan was due, but of course it wasn't, so today an automatic payment went out for the loan - I don't know much about this stuff, but it likely rendered the payoff quote invalid. And to top it off, nobody has been responding to me for the last 8 days, their last email being "I'll get back to you tomorrow afternoon" on June 17. Of course I emailed them several times in the meanwhile, warning them that my next loan payment was approaching, but no response.

They'll probably try to pay it off with the original quote at some point, and it'll exceed the payoff amount by the additional payment I've made, that money is probably going to be returned to Tesla by the bank and Tesla will have to give that to me separately... and I am 100% sure they won't, and I will have to beg and plead them for weeks if not months. This nightmare will never be over because Tesla is the most incompetent billion dollar company in the world.

I'm not even sure why I'm writing all this down here, I guess this is like a journal now...

A while ago (like 10 days) they requested a payoff quote for my loan which made me hopeful that this nightmare was going to end. They even said it would be paid off before my next payment on the loan was due, but of course it wasn't, so today an automatic payment went out for the loan - I don't know much about this stuff, but it likely rendered the payoff quote invalid. And to top it off, nobody has been responding to me for the last 8 days, their last email being "I'll get back to you tomorrow afternoon" on June 17. Of course I emailed them several times in the meanwhile, warning them that my next loan payment was approaching, but no response.

They'll probably try to pay it off with the original quote at some point, and it'll exceed the payoff amount by the additional payment I've made, that money is probably going to be returned to Tesla by the bank and Tesla will have to give that to me separately... and I am 100% sure they won't, and I will have to beg and plead them for weeks if not months. This nightmare will never be over because Tesla is the most incompetent billion dollar company in the world.

I'm not even sure why I'm writing all this down here, I guess this is like a journal now...

The forums are a good place to vent and document your situation - I went through hell with my previous vehicle which was bought back in February (I just purchased the X to replace it)... On those forums (Volvo related), I had a thread going on that ended with about 252 posts, 100+ pages of e-mails back and forth with Volvo (before the Lemon Law attorney was involved), and a LOT of lost hours.

I ended up writing a very long post going over the ins and out of how to proceed with a vehicle Lemon claim and whatnot, and I'm sure others have benefited from my experience, so, definitely keep updating with the happenings. There may be someone in the future that goes through your same situation, and/or someone that has, and can chime in with support.

If Tesla sends the bank more than the balance of the loan, the bank will send you a check for the overage.

@DontDoIt - sorry you’re going through all this crap. I’m a big supporter of Tesla and have been an owner since 2016. I have to say, they have some serious customer service issues that they need to fix. It doesn’t do them any good to turn off new owners such as yourself. Like I said, I’m a big supporter of Tesla and their mission, but my recent purchase of a Model X this past June is also a bad experience one. It’s supposed to have a free unlimited supercharging and they’re still trying to figure out how to enable it. :rolleyes:

The forums are a good place to vent and document your situation - I went through hell with my previous vehicle which was bought back in February (I just purchased the X to replace it)... On those forums (Volvo related), I had a thread going on that ended with about 252 posts, 100+ pages of e-mails back and forth with Volvo (before the Lemon Law attorney was involved), and a LOT of lost hours.

I ended up writing a very long post going over the ins and out of how to proceed with a vehicle Lemon claim and whatnot, and I'm sure others have benefited from my experience, so, definitely keep updating with the happenings. There may be someone in the future that goes through your same situation, and/or someone that has, and can chime in with support.

Thanks for your support of my pointless whining saga, my friend. :) I’m sure this sort of thing happens with every car company but I’m also sure that this exact level of incompetency only routinely happens with Tesla.

If Tesla sends the bank more than the balance of the loan, the bank will send you a check for the overage.

Wow! Are you sure? That’s seriously amazing news. I was so worried the bank would pay tesla instead. Thank you! That makes me feel so much better.

@DontDoIt - sorry you’re going through all this crap. I’m a big supporter of Tesla and have been an owner since 2016. I have to say, they have some serious customer service issues that they need to fix. It doesn’t do them any good to turn off new owners such as yourself. Like I said, I’m a big supporter of Tesla and their mission, but my recent purchase of a Model X this past June is also a bad experience one. It’s supposed to have a free unlimited supercharging and they’re still trying to figure out how to enable it. :rolleyes:

Believe me I’m the same. I’ve been a Tesla supporter and a shareholder since 2014 and a Tesla owner since 2016. It feels extra bad to be treated like this because of that.

Wow! Are you sure? That’s seriously amazing news. I was so worried the bank would pay tesla instead. Thank you! That makes me feel so much better.
Yes, the bank does not keep the extra money or send it back to Tesla. It's yours. No different then when you sell your house and an automatic payment is executed before settlement. They reconcile the account and refund your money.

Tesla owes me:

1. $2,500 credit card refund for my original purchase in May (the car that I've returned)
2. $2,500 credit card refund for my deposit on a new car on May 26 (the one they they've told me I can't get)
3. $2,500 credit card refund for the unauthorized charge they've made on May 27
4. $2,500 credit card refund for the unauthorized charge they've made on May 28
5. Repayment of the financed part of my original May purchase to the bank (the car that I've returned)
6. A big check for the rest of my original May purchase (the car that I've returned)

I am owed all of those, and don't have a car, and can't buy a car.

===

Update: The bank told me there appears to be one $2,500 refund initiated by Tesla. Now, since they owe me 4 separate $2,500 refunds, I have no idea which one, and the bank can't tell me what it is for either. But yeah, yay. I'm gonna get 1 out of the 4 separate $2,500's, and when it goes through Tesla will have repaid me $2,500 out of the $70,500 they owe me! Great progress.

The person I'm working with responded to my email yesterday saying he can't see any charges or anything so he'll contact customer service 'and let me know'.

None of the other emails I've sent (to 8 addresses in total, a combination of customer service email addresses and individual people) have been responded to.

This thread is turning into a “nag”

Thanks for your support of my pointless whining saga, my friend. :) I’m sure this sort of thing happens with every car company but I’m also sure that this exact level of incompetency only routinely happens with Tesla.

Believe me I’m the same. I’ve been a Tesla supporter and a shareholder since 2014 and a Tesla owner since 2016. It feels extra bad to be treated like this because of that.

Not sure why one would keep supporting Tesla after something like this. Hopefully you get your money and run for the hills after that.

• Love
Well, isn't this amazing. 14 days ago I got an email saying everything was set and I was gonna get my refund in 5-10 business days. And then radio silence. After many unanswered emails, I again escalated the situation to the only person I know (who doesn't even work at Tesla) who has been able to get any sort of response.

And I did get a response: Now apparently I have to wait for Tesla to call me in to sign paperwork (which I was repeatedly told was not going to be necessary) and from there "it is a process between them and finance" and that it would take 5-10 business days.

I am out of words - truly incredible.

• Informative
=====FINAL UPDATE =====

I am very happy to say that as of today the above nightmare scenario of having to wait another 8 weeks did not come to pass, and I have received all of my money back, including all refunds of deposits, loan repayment, etc etc.

I thank all of you for your support through this ordeal (which it truly was, I haven't had a car for almost... two months now?). I had created this account specifically to air my grievances about this particular purchase, and since it has all been resolved in the end, I will go back to my slumber.