Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is finally going to start charging for Mobile Internet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the USB issues? I plan to use this functionality as well.
Multiple threads on this site, if you do a little search. Basically, inconsistent performance. Random re-loads of USB drive contents; random “file not recognized”-type errors when playing; lack of shuffle mode that actually shuffles songs; sometimes meta-data is displayed (artist/album artwork) and sometimes not; that sort of thing. I have also had GPS issues where the car can’t figure out where it is sometimes, which throws off scheduled charging and Homelink functionality, and the phone support folks tend to blame whatever is plugged in to the USB ports when that happens. Eventually I stopped using my USB stick due to the GPS problems, which does seem to have helped, so now I just use the streaming audio in the car.

I haven’t heard much about USB functionality in the 3, so maybe they have these issues fixed and the fixes just haven’t worked back into older cars yet. I also haven’t used my USB stick for a few months, so it’s possible a recent update fixed these and other issues and I just don’t know about it although my assumption is that any fixes would soon be broadcast all over this site as it seems many people have the same issues.

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum
I don't know anyone that uses the in-car navigation. I know people do use it, but most people that have used it for any length of time end up switching to their phone and something like Waze.

I use the in-car navigation!

I don't like waze at all. I'm not a turn by turn person, I need to see the spatial map. and i don't want to look at my phone. (maybe waze lets you do that but it was just way too busy for my taste...)

Life is far to short to be skirting around every corner to make sure I save 5 minutes...

Then again, I don't drive in traffic very often.

I use the nav to plan supercharging on long trips or to route to unfamiliar addresses.

I'm lucky and I planned life that way, that I never commuted more than 5 miles. :)

I dont find waze saves any time. It says it saves you time, but if you actually test it a few times, you will find tesla and google navigation is more accurate. The exiting and using random roads does not work most of the times. Red lights and traffic on streets usually amount to more time than just staying on the freeway. I find this to be true in SoCal.

Some guy actually did hundreds of tests and found google maps to be more accurate. I started testing it myself after I read that and find it to be true.

My buddy and I were driving last week and he was using waze. I told him "trust me dont follow it! Stick to google maps and ill show you its not accurate". Google maps route actually got us there quicker than waze did and he was pretty surprised.

As I said in the Model 3 version of this thread... I'm so disappointed in Tesla for this... They've cheapened the interiors and now charging for this??? You're essentially getting a Kia now from an interior standpoint, and that's actually an insult to the top of the line Kia interiors which are vastly superior than anything Tesla is doing and again, now this???

Tesla is making it harder and harder for me to want to get another Tesla when my Model S lease is up...

Jeff

As I said in the Model 3 version of this thread... I'm so disappointed in Tesla for this... They've cheapened the interiors and now charging for this??? You're essentially getting a Kia now from an interior standpoint, and that's actually an insult to the top of the line Kia interiors which are vastly superior than anything Tesla is doing and again, now this???

Tesla is making it harder and harder for me to want to get another Tesla when my Model S lease is up...

Jeff

Then get a Kia

Not to take away from all those who think Tesla navigation, etc. etc. SUCKS -- if you are actually looking for information here, then I'd take those posts with a grain of salt.

Lots of us use the new navigation, and I have found it to be great! It is lots easier than pulling out my phone when I'm on the go, and unlike the previous version, my routes are now very good and reliable. Certainly very useful for far more than just "finding a supercharger".

Likewise, I am not a power user, so I have found USB audio play, and the like to be fine.. not great as the UI is not very flexible, but fine for the more casual user (I have 2 USB sticks, probably total of 1000 songs).

I usually only use the Tesla nav for supercharger placement. I use google maps for routing (and let them fight each other, lol). Also use EVTO (great app) for general Supercharger/Charger planning since I can do it easily on my phone.

Idiot question which I should know the answer to: anyone know why/what causes Tesla nav to freeze? Is it if you drag the map off the nav’s center point? Google maps has the ‘recenter’ button to have it take over again.

Is there something I can’t see for this or what else is messing it up. It locked up several times on a trip this weekend. (One more reason to not depend on it!)

Yes, I have the new nav. It has some weird routing around here, still... and it doesn't account for traffic as well as Waze does, not by a long shot.
Wow your experience is totally different that mine. I run Waze and Tesla side-by-side. Estimates are usually within one minute of each other on my 40 mile commute in heavy traffic. And when there is a significant discrepancy, Tesla is usually the more accurate.

Lots of us use the new navigation, and I have found it to be great! It is lots easier than pulling out my phone when I'm on the go, and unlike the previous version, my routes are now very good and reliable. Certainly very useful for far more than just "finding a supercharger".
I also use the new Tesla navigation app but it does lack a number of features that I often need e.g. avoid the next 2 miles of the route and re-calculate the route (because something has just happened in front of me and it hasn't registered in the traffic data yet), multiple destinations/waypoints, use/don't use certain superchargers, the ability to choose from a selection of routes. I still find that the Tesla navigation sometimes chooses some questionable routes, where Waze and Google Maps make better choices.
I don't want to pull out my phone either - I would prefer to just access apps on my phone from the big Tesla screen, using Android Auto.

Reactions: NerdUno
Honestly, though - it's patently obvious any Premium option should also include a tier for Wifi Hotspot capability, or it's going to be viewed as a non-competitive feature. It just stinks that mediocre OnStar offers this on new GM vehicles and, as Elon has mentioned before, Tesla has the guts & gear right there built-into the car to offer it...and doesn't.
Why would I want a wifi hotspot in my car when any modern cell phone can do it better and cheaper.

Reactions: SSonnentag and jgs
I'm sure theres a 50/50 chance they will roll back the charging Model S/X owners for internet like they did with supercharging, like get free internet with a referral. At $100/year it wouldn't cost them much but it might help drive Model S/X sales which are Tesla's only profit maker at the moment (outside solar).

That's exactly what I thought too, except I thought the chances were better than 50/50. Tesla is a master of shaking the fence sitters to see who falls off. I don't think this one will get many to budge, but it will get some now, and then later it can be used again via referrals. I'd guess there's a 90% chance we'll see that play out but likely not for the 3, only for the S/X since there's no need to get more reservation holders when you're still working on a long backlog.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Why would I want a wifi hotspot in my car when any modern cell phone can do it better and cheaper.
Some possible reasons:
  1. Convenience of not having to plug your phone in (if you don't, hotspot function drains the battery fairly quickly)
  2. Convenience of not having to leave your phone in the car on trips with family, so that their WiFi devices can continue to work while you step out to go to the store or bathroom. Even if you don't need the phone with you, it's easy to forget and by the time everyone's streaming buffers empty you are too far to come back
  3. If implemented properly, a roof mounted cell antenna without size and power restrictions of a phone can perform better than your cell phone, i.e. better coverage (stronger signal, faster speeds, etc)
  4. Not running up you cell phone bill. Typically hot spot function has a limit and/or overage more more restrictive than your phone
  5. Dashcam connection - allows your dashcam to be accessible from your phone when you are not near the car. Extends the functionality of the phone app to being able to see what the car sees when parked.
  6. Dashcam connection reason #2, in an event of detected impact, stills and videos are uploaded to the cloud, so that if your car gets robbed and they steal your dashcams, you can still retrieve the images of the thieves from your cloud account

• Informative
Reactions: tranzndance
Haven't had one problem using the Tesla navigation in the Atlanta / metro area. No need to use a phone app of any sort. One thing do wish Tesla had was the ability to change the navigation on a particular trip though. Not because of somethin waze (or the like does better) but something like Apple maps does when you can select a different route regardless of traffic. We use this before leaving to see what traffic is like but not for actual navigation. There is on trip we take often that the Tesla navigation wants to take a route with a ton of slower MPH sections as well as turns and stop signs because its 8 miles less. Going the state hwy route is faster and less of a nuisance since it is full speed 90% of the way. It would be nice to b able to change or avoid a particular road / route. Our ancient 2009 BMW had that feature buried deep in the navigation menus.

Reactions: SSonnentag