Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Is Finally Updating Its Autopark Feature by The End of This Month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk has just announced on Twitter that the Autopilot/AI team at Tesla will be working on Tesla's Smart Summon and Autopark features, as well as its humanoid robot, Optimus.

Autopilot is widely used by many Tesla owners worldwide while Autopark and Smart Summon are much lesser-used, due to being "too slow" or "won't detect a parking spot," among other issues. As more car manufacturers are making their own "autopark" systems, many parking features that Autopark lacks such as 360 camera view and better angling for parking are on the road right now. In order to compete with this, Tesla is eager to update their own Autopark system, and it is promising to know that there is a hard deadline for an update by the end of this month. Autopark would certainly be useful for tasks such as backing into parking spaces at Superchargers, and if Tesla has been focusing on it as much as they have on FSD Beta, it may change significantly how many owners decide to use it regularly.

Tesla's AI Day 2022 is at the end of this month, so the new Autopark, Smart Summon, and Tesla Bot progress/features will most likely be announced then.

0x0-Charging_01.jpg

(Featured Image Courtesy of Tesla, Inc)

I used autopark on my 2022 MS one time where it miraculously detected a space. It was slow and awkward. It fails to detect 90% of spaces. Telling people to drive close to the row of cars to increase detection likelihood is ludicrous and rarely helps anyway. Maybe if the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

Much of what Tesla implements is very impressive. Autopark is a total fail in its current iteration. I don’t even think of using it.
I can get auto park to detect and work well 95%+ of the time. Clearly there is a learning curve involved …

I can get auto park to detect and work well 95%+ of the time. Clearly there is a learning curve involved …
Maybe my MS is a lemon in this regard. I wanted this to work and gave it every chance as this sort of automation would seem to be Tesla’s bag. I just have zero patience for a function that I have to twist myself into a pretzel to get it to maybe work while people around me wonder what the hell I am doing, just to have it fail or make a 5 point turn to excruciatingly slowly move into a basic perpendicular space. Happy to give it another go once it just works.

Well, end of Sept has come and gone, and no updated, improved Summon. Not that I expected it, but it would certainly be nice if Musk would consider implementing more realistic timelines, or at least not continue to validate his reputation for inaccuracy so often. I understand the software limitations, manpower commitments, etc required - so I'm not surprised - just disappointed. Throughout the 7 years I've had Tesla vehicles, the Musk's timeline hyperbole has only gotten worse. Add to that the frustration watching updates with new features going only to non-FSD Beta vehicles. At least consider updating FSD Beta vehicles to be current with the latest feature update for the fleet while we wait for the eventual baby step improvements to FSD suite we paid for years ago. Still love my car, and Tesla as a whole, so this is more of a hope for the future than a complaint for the present...

Maybe my MS is a lemon in this regard. I wanted this to work and gave it every chance as this sort of automation would seem to be Tesla’s bag. I just have zero patience for a function that I have to twist myself into a pretzel to get it to maybe work while people around me wonder what the hell I am doing, just to have it fail or make a 5 point turn to excruciatingly slowly move into a basic perpendicular space. Happy to give it another go once it just works.
Once you learn, getting parking spaces to show up is easy. I can imagine S taking longer to park - given it’s size compared to 3.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Once you learn, getting parking spaces to show up is easy. I can imagine S taking longer to park - given it’s size compared to 3.

What is there to learn?

You drive slowly down the line of cars and the “p” never shows up.

You drive close to the cars that have the open space you would like to park in (non-intuitive, because normally you would swerve away from those cars to be able to back in) - no recognition of parking spot.

You put the car in reverse just past the parking spot - no recognition of spot.

My car and the ultrasonics are kept very clean. I’d love for this to work and if there is a trick to it, please let me know. My car fails to recognize well painted wide single spots between other cars regularly. It might see 1 in 10 which drops it into the category of “why bother.”

I happily test FSD beta which I enjoy, and love the technology. But Autopark is a failure as implemented on my vehicle. It is the opposite of the convenience that it is supposed to be.

Looks like FSD Beta 10.69.3 is being released (2022.20.18), at the same time 2022.36.1 is going out...but those of us in the FSD pool still aren't getting any of the the updated features released since 2022.20.15 first went out....why does the FSD Beta software release fall so far behind the general updates regarding new features ?? That's 16 weeks difference in the release dates. It wasn't that way at the beginning, and it's getting more frustrating every time - I have accepted that I sacrificed money when purchasing FSD in the first place, but why are FSD users now sacrificing normal upgrade features, too ???

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
What is there to learn?

You drive close to the cars that have the open space you would like to park in (non-intuitive, because normally you would swerve away from those cars to be able to back in) - no recognition of parking spot.

My car and the ultrasonics are kept very clean. I’d love for this to work and if there is a trick to it, please let me know. My car fails to recognize well painted wide single spots between other cars regularly. It might see 1 in 10 which drops it into the category of “why bother.”

I happily test FSD beta which I enjoy, and love the technology. But Autopark is a failure as implemented on my vehicle. It is the opposite of the convenience that it is supposed to be.
Tesla’s auto park is not designed for a parking lot but when you are waiting at a traffic light 🤣🤣 You are looking to P in wrong spot.

What is there to learn?

Pull up next to the car that has a space behind it and put your turn signal on...
Instant P