Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Is Finally Updating Its Autopark Feature by The End of This Month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk has just announced on Twitter that the Autopilot/AI team at Tesla will be working on Tesla's Smart Summon and Autopark features, as well as its humanoid robot, Optimus.

Autopilot is widely used by many Tesla owners worldwide while Autopark and Smart Summon are much lesser-used, due to being "too slow" or "won't detect a parking spot," among other issues. As more car manufacturers are making their own "autopark" systems, many parking features that Autopark lacks such as 360 camera view and better angling for parking are on the road right now. In order to compete with this, Tesla is eager to update their own Autopark system, and it is promising to know that there is a hard deadline for an update by the end of this month. Autopark would certainly be useful for tasks such as backing into parking spaces at Superchargers, and if Tesla has been focusing on it as much as they have on FSD Beta, it may change significantly how many owners decide to use it regularly.

Tesla's AI Day 2022 is at the end of this month, so the new Autopark, Smart Summon, and Tesla Bot progress/features will most likely be announced then.

0x0-Charging_01.jpg

(Featured Image Courtesy of Tesla, Inc)

OMG it came up this morning and worked like a champ! I haven’t see this for about 4 years. Didn’t realize there was a special way to get it to even offer. Wish someone had just posted a link to a good one above. I’m on 36.6 2021 Plaid

The biggest problem I encounter with Autopark is the impatience of other drivers around you...it takes a little longer for Autopark than a human. I get yelled at a few times a week ;-)) and I'm seeing more haters every day.
The biggest problem is it doesn't work. At all. In any way shape or form. It is not fit for purpose. Feels like a pet project given to one of the interns to do when they aren't busy. If it works for you great but for me, it is a joke

The biggest problem is it doesn't work. At all. In any way shape or form. It is not fit for purpose. Feels like a pet project given to one of the interns to do when they aren't busy. If it works for you great but for me, it is a joke
Thats an obvious lie. Afterall you are responding to someone who uses it all the time (apparently).

When I used to commute to work, I would use it all the time.

I've a lot of videos of it working in my car ... but I'll just like to a random video on youtube.

MYLRToon: Tell me what's not working for you. I'm interested and curious about your experiences...
I've had great results with both parallel and perpendicular parking. It may be a bit slow in completing the maneuver, but it works every time.

Reactions: Dewg
I do use it at times, both parallel and 90 degree backwards. It works for me for more than 90% of the times. Detects empty spaces quite reliably too. Only failed once to detect space so far.

I welcome any improvements to the current auto parking system, but far from being useless.

How does it fail for you?

I just find it to slow to use. It also confuses people walking in parking lots. They think I’m waiting for them to go past, but it’s just the car pausing. Then it goes, scares the person, I tap the brakes and the car jerks to a stop with a number of beeps. I look like an idiot.

I just find it to slow to use. It also confuses people walking in parking lots. They think I’m waiting for them to go past, but it’s just the car pausing. Then it goes, scares the person, I tap the brakes and the car jerks to a stop with a number of beeps. I look like an idiot.

You're driving a Tesla, they already think you're a jerk

Thats an obvious lie. Afterall you are responding to someone who uses it all the time (apparently).

When I used to commute to work, I would use it all the time.

I've a lot of videos of it working in my car ... but I'll just like to a random video on youtube.

"Obvious lie" I clearly said it doesn't work for me and if it works for you great. Do not be so pious my opinion is as valid as yours

MYLRToon: Tell me what's not working for you. I'm interested and curious about your experiences...
I've had great results with both parallel and perpendicular parking. It may be a bit slow in completing the maneuver, but it works every time.
It detects a space fine and the "P" appears. After that it gets confused. This may be down to the streets I park on. In the UK there are narrow roads which only allow 1 car at a time. This was not a problem for the BMW's we have (M3/M5). I admit I have not tried in larger car parks many time due to the fact that it is very slow again in comparison to other vehicles. Is it down to the USS and teslavision I don't know

Elon Musk has just announced on Twitter that the Autopilot/AI team at Tesla will be working on Tesla's Smart Summon and Autopark features, as well as its humanoid robot, Optimus.

Autopilot is widely used by many Tesla owners worldwide while Autopark and Smart Summon are much lesser-used, due to being "too slow" or "won't detect a parking spot," among other issues. As more car manufacturers are making their own "autopark" systems, many parking features that Autopark lacks such as 360 camera view and better angling for parking are on the road right now. In order to compete with this, Tesla is eager to update their own Autopark system, and it is promising to know that there is a hard deadline for an update by the end of this month. Autopark would certainly be useful for tasks such as backing into parking spaces at Superchargers, and if Tesla has been focusing on it as much as they have on FSD Beta, it may change significantly how many owners decide to use it regularly.

Tesla's AI Day 2022 is at the end of this month, so the new Autopark, Smart Summon, and Tesla Bot progress/features will most likely be announced then.

View attachment 854591
(Featured Image Courtesy of Tesla, Inc)
😂 that was 9/22. Still waiting. What a goal post move, lie and misinformation. Same playbook as…🤔

Reactions: 2101Guy
AutoPark does not work. Smart Summon does not work. Summon does not work. But EAP which “includes” these cost $6000.00. 60% of EAP doesn’t work. And I no longer can trust or feel safe with Navigate on Autopilot and Auto Lane Change. All because no radar and no uss, aka cheapening the vehicle. It’s sad that his hubris leads to this.

AutoPark does not work. Smart Summon does not work. Summon does not work. But EAP which “includes” these cost $6000.00. 60% of EAP doesn’t work. And I no longer can trust or feel safe with Navigate on Autopilot and Auto Lane Change. All because no radar and no uss, aka cheapening the vehicle. It’s sad that his hubris leads to this.

All I can say is that all of the above work for me on a daily basis, except for Smart Summon which I've never used and Summon, which is simply a parlor trick for me. My car is a 2022 M3 LR EAP, and I believe it has USS. What year and model do you drive?

😂 that was 9/22. Still waiting. What a goal post move, lie and misinformation. Same playbook as…🤔
The standard Elon playbook.
Fail to deliver something then start talking about something else new and interesting that will be coming soon, for real this time.
Sad thing is that improving the child like auto park was a "look here instead" distraction from the original FSD V11 BS that started months before. The next thing is HW4 being used to hide that HW3 can't meet their goals and that V11 is about to break highway AP and will be months/years away from matching the capability of the existing stack.
Yet here we are, still waiting for an improved auto park that performs no better than it did in 2015 while the rest of the world has already surpassed it.
Along with still not delivering a finished L2 highway driver assist while the competition has caught up and according to some surpassed it.
Sure, FSD might, some indeterminate time in the future, might, almost meet a cut down version of what was promised back when AP1 was announced.
Just look up the comparison videos, BMW, Mercedes, Ford etc all can park a car in half the time and more accurately than Tesla.

I'd just love one "finished product" that can be improved upon later, but all we get it promises of some nirvana while Elon keeps trying to boil the ocean of a true full self driving.

All I can say is that all of the above work for me on a daily basis, except for Smart Summon which I've never used and Summon, which is simply a parlor trick for me. My car is a 2022 M3 LR EAP, and I believe it has USS. What year and model do you drive?
2023 MYP. So has no uss. I agree though, I don’t really need Smart Summon, but have used Summon and AutoPark a lot in my MX.

Reactions: PVia