Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is going to do a 100D and P100D...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ballpark. There are a lot of factors involved, for example, Tesla's preferential bulk pricing. I'm sure Peter's $36,000 wasn't meant to be an exact amount, just a ballpark. I would expect that Tesla can make a 90 kWh pack for significantly cheaper than $36k.

That was exactly my point. As a low volume hobbyist paying retail (which means I bought from a company that bought from a distributor that bought from a manufacturer) I can build the capacity of a tesla pack for 36000. Tesla can obviously do it much cheaper!

Ballpark. There are a lot of factors involved, for example, Tesla's preferential bulk pricing. I'm sure Peter's $36,000 wasn't meant to be an exact amount, just a ballpark. I would expect that Tesla can make a 90 kWh pack for significantly cheaper than $36k.

I'm always entertained when people mention the cost of components in the Model S. The Model S was supporting the creation of a massive company and distribution and R&D of the Model X and 3. You can't assume anything on cost unless you know the price of Tesla's raw materials going into the system, not percentages of retail markup at delivery.

Of course, Tesla being Tesla, they wouldn't call it 100D and P100D, but A0D and PA0D instead. OK, probably not :).

I think you meant to write 64D and P64D. But no, that wouldn't do at all from a marketing perspective....

update: Apologies to those who also pointed this out up-thread. I really should read the entire thread before posting.

Last edited: