Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is hiking prices and keep half of the showroom open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla changed plan again. I just heard CBSN news that Tesla is hiking prices for most of its electric vehicles so that it can keep most of its showrooms. The $35,000 Model 3 will remain, but prices for other models will be raised by 3 percent by March 18th of 2019.
What the hack? Is this means that I have to order one and put deposit down by March 18th of 2019? My plan is purchase before June 30th of 2019. I guess this price hike will cancel out the Federal Tax credit.

I am talking to one today. He said yes only for new custom car and not inventory car. You want to get delivery by end of June so you can get the $3750 for Federal Tax credit end. I will put deposit down on Friday for sure so l can lock down the price.

Some feature has been removed for this year model x when Tesla reduce the price. One thing I find out, there is not longer have high 72 amp charger on board, only 48 amp charger on board. This mean that if you have HPWC at home, you can only charge maximum of 40 amp only. Sucks they don't tell you this thing, we only see reduction of price but it remove some feature on the car.

Some feature has been removed for this year model x when Tesla reduce the price. One thing I find out, there is not longer have high 72 amp charger on board, only 48 amp charger on board. This mean that if you have HPWC at home, you can only charge maximum of 40 amp only. Sucks they don't tell you this thing, we only see reduction of price but it remove some feature on the car.

Well, technically, you can charge at 48 amps if you have the HPWC connected to a 60 amp circuit. Regardless, it is too bad that they don't come with the 72 amp charger anymore. They should have kept it as a option for people who wanted to install on a larger circuit.

The charger change happened before the reduction in price. Late 2018 or very early 2019. Change in price was just a few weeks ago.

Do you have a car, or one on order? If so when was it built, or ordered?

Agreed. Not sure what else they taken out to save cost. 2018 model still has the 72 amp charger on board.

Tesla does not have year models. They make changes when they have the change. For example, MCU 2.5 went in Mid March 2018. Update processor sped up interface and added the capability used in traffic cam. So a car made week x in 2018 did not have the feature, but a car made week x + 1 did. Same thing with paint and interior colors which come and go, and which features are default and optional. Such as the old Premium package that was $5,000 upgrade and rolled in as standard with a $3,000 base price increase in June 2018.

Reactions: jerry33
Tesla changed plan again. I just heard CBSN news that Tesla is hiking prices for most of its electric vehicles so that it can keep most of its showrooms. The $35,000 Model 3 will remain, but prices for other models will be raised by 3 percent by March 18th of 2019.
What the hack? Is this means that I have to order one and put deposit down by March 18th of 2019? My plan is purchase before June 30th of 2019. I guess this price hike will cancel out the Federal Tax credit.
Tesla actually said they were closing the ones in low traffic areas (I take this to mostly mean the ones that are attached to service centres because there was little store traffic there in the first place, plus a few low traffic malls). Most other stores will be turned into galleries. They later said that the pace would be slowed. The big thing to note here is that the media does not like Tesla for both political and economic reasons (Tesla doesn't advertise, so no media revenue). So almost everything you hear from mainstream media will have as negative a slant as is possible.

Tesla does not have year models. They make changes when they have the change. For example, MCU 2.5 went in Mid March 2018. Update processor sped up interface and added the capability used in traffic cam. So a car made week x in 2018 did not have the feature, but a car made week x + 1 did. Same thing with paint and interior colors which come and go, and which features are default and optional. Such as the old Premium package that was $5,000 upgrade and rolled in as standard with a $3,000 base price increase in June 2018.
How do you now this MCU changes? Do you think l should order inventory 2018 car or custom 2019 model X if l want the latest features but l will not get the 72amp charger on board? I am undecided have to place one soon by 18th..

How do you now this MCU changes? Do you think l should order inventory 2018 car or custom 2019 model X if l want the latest features but l will not get the 72amp charger on board? I am undecided have to place one soon by 18th..

On the car "about screen" there is a version number

I would order the latest one they way I wanted it. But, that is just me.

Maybe you tell us about the criteria that mean most to you (i.e. cost, certain features, etc)?

So will 2018 model X should have MCU v 2.5? I like to have 72Amp charger on board so l can charge faster at home with HPWC if need to. Any other hardware changes do you know between last year?

No guarantee a 2018 will have MCU 2.5. But, it if was manufactured after mid March 2018 it should. There are threads here that have pictures of the screen showing the 2.5 version number

From 2018, there are a number of other changes like the options packages which are now standard, color combinations, etc.

Also, I understand the desire to have 72 A charging, but is that something that really makes a different in your expected usage?

Do you often drive 200+ miles between charging? If you have a more normal commute, say 60 miles, and power in a garage, the time savings will be less than 15 minutes since you charge ever night and wake every morning with the car "topped off". This is one of the great things about EVs!

See this chart on JJGunn's post and do some calculations. Charging speed on New model X | Tesla

So this is long way of me saying, that before you go through a lot of hoops to get a car with 72A charging. Make sure you will take advantage of it.

Thanks for advice. I just put deposit down on Inventory car P100DL 2018 with 72amp charger for $42K showroom discount. For current 2018 more like $24K discount. The car has 2100 miles. They just lowered all the inventory car price today for additional $10K. Good time to buy it before price goes up after 18th of March.