Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is insisting on exterior prep that will cost me more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m taking delivery of a new MS on Monday. I plan on having a local company apply a ceramic coating. The company that does this tells me to ask Tesla NOT to do an exterior prep because it does more harm than good. They say they will have to do a color match to fix swirls and micro scratches that they see after a Tesla prep. If they have to color match, there is an additional charge.

I got back the following from Tesla after requesting no prep.

Unfortunately we cannot accommodate this request. We at Tesla hold ourselves to a very high standard and it is against our policy to deliver an non-detailed vehicle

Does anyone have a similar experience?

I suspect that it's a liability issue. When people are wanting this level of protection, they are going to tend to be pretty anal about any imperfections. If you don't go over the car at sale, then Tesla would have to insist that any issues were made by the detail shop.

I picked up my new MS–which was detailed–and immediately took it to have Xpel Prime Ultra PPF over the entire car. The installer did not see any swirls, and the PPF went on perfectly well. You can express your concern to the delivery team and ask that they be careful not to create swirls. It's not that hard.

Reactions: Saxgod