Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is losing me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bugs are so numerous now... It's impossible to call them all out... TACC is now a total mess with this new "speed reset feature", the media player can't remember anything (not to mention the constant tunein skips and the lack of radio.com support), my car wakes up in jack mode every time now, prior to V9 I NEVER had the green "systems are powering up" crap and now I get it all of the time, moving the cold weather UI to the HVAC controls was so far beyond stupid, the lack of control on when the mirrors unfold, I could go on...

Point is, Tesla is regressing from my perspective and it's pretty clear this is by design. Elon simply doesn't care about software issues, he just doesn't. He's more focused on stupid easter eggs that give Tesla free advertising which is the entire point of the easter eggs from my perspective...

I'm VERY negative on Tesla right now and have talked at least two people now out of buying one. I refuse to recommend such a incompetent company to my friends\family\neighbors. I keep hoping for someone, anyone, to build something equivalent (including the supercharging network) but sadly, it has yet to even come close to happening... When it does, and someday I know it will, I'm gone unless Tesla makes some very profound changes starting with proper car\software QC and something as simple and stop lying to customers.

Jeff

Indeed Tesla does not seem to care about Model S/X anymore. That is why people with Model 3 do not get how Model S/X have regressed. Internally Tesla is probably working on the next-gen Model S/X interiors and UIs anyway so the oldies are left to languish as usual.

It would not be so bad if they just left things as they are but the poorly thought out forced updates to the new world have messed up the Model S/X experience...

It’s also really hard to imagine buying a Bolt over a Model 3. Sure people do it but I bet they regret it after seeing how much sexier the 3 is. And then if they test drive a 3... The Bolt is one the most meh cars out there, styling wise. Come on GM, WTF?

I'm not a Chevy fan, but I don't think the Bolt is hard to look at. The Model 3 costs some $10,000 to $25,000 more I believe.

I read a web page of a guy in Texas I think who is exploring how far he can travel in his Bolt. Every time they install a new DC charger someplace he can reach it's a big deal for him. I also met a guy the other day when I was using a Tesla Destination charger who was charging his Bolt on the Clipper Creek unit which seemed to be only 30 amps. He was testing it to see if he could find some faster units. This was only 208 volts so only about 6 kW. I think he was looking for 16 kW units which would be around 60-70 amps I believe. He can charge at home, but never does. He works in DC and commutes 40-50 miles each way and is using all the free charging he can get even though I pointed out it only costs $6 a charge which he knew. This is the guy who blows my theory that no one will wait in line to use the crowed Superchargers in California just to save $10. I even told him that. lol

The bugs are so numerous now... It's impossible to call them all out... TACC is now a total mess with this new "speed reset feature", the media player can't remember anything (not to mention the constant tunein skips and the lack of radio.com support), my car wakes up in jack mode every time now, prior to V9 I NEVER had the green "systems are powering up" crap and now I get it all of the time, moving the cold weather UI to the HVAC controls was so far beyond stupid, the lack of control on when the mirrors unfold, I could go on...

Point is, Tesla is regressing from my perspective and it's pretty clear this is by design. Elon simply doesn't care about software issues, he just doesn't. He's more focused on stupid easter eggs that give Tesla free advertising which is the entire point of the easter eggs from my perspective...

I'm VERY negative on Tesla right now and have talked at least two people now out of buying one. I refuse to recommend such a incompetent company to my friends\family\neighbors. I keep hoping for someone, anyone, to build something equivalent (including the supercharging network) but sadly, it has yet to even come close to happening... When it does, and someday I know it will, I'm gone unless Tesla makes some very profound changes starting with proper car\software QC and something as simple and stop lying to customers.

Jeff
I had no idea V9 was that bad. I wonder if they are working on fixing it. How do we find out? Tweet Elon? WTF

I had no idea V9 was that bad. I wonder if they are working on fixing it. How do we find out? Tweet Elon? WTF

In my view one of the biggest faults with Version 9 — aside from the much-discussed UI inconsistencies and bugs — is that it is unstable and slow to get started. The ”fart app update” seems to have made this worse. These days it seems to be a real risk that getting on the way is delayed as I have to wait for the MCU screen to become available to enter the PIN either due to it waiting a horribly long time to wake up (I don’t have any energy savings on) or because it reboots. There was one incident where I actually left in another car because of this.

Unfortunately as others have pointed out Tesla has had no history of fixing long-standing issues since the UI started going bad in Version 7. It seems to be all about whatever is the next big thing that sells cars not keeping the foundations solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: kavyboy
In my view one of the biggest faults with Version 9 — aside from the much-discussed UI inconsistencies and bugs — is that it is unstable and slow to get started. The ”fart app update” seems to have made this worse. These days it seems to be a real risk that getting on the way is delayed as I have to wait for the MCU screen to become available to enter the PIN either due to it waiting a horribly long time to wake up (I don’t have any energy savings on) or because it reboots. There was one incident where I actually left in another car because of this.

Unfortunately as others have pointed out Tesla has had no history of fixing long-standing issues since the UI started going bad in Version 7. It seems to be all about whatever is the next big thing that sells cars not keeping the foundations solid.
I have updated my iPhone in the past and regretted it because of new changes and it becoming less responsive. Sounds similar to this, but in a car, and much worse. Maybe Fred with Electrek could run an article about this and get Elon’s attention.

I don't think my 6-year-old Model S has held it's resale value very well. But regardless, when Tesla issues an update that removes functionality that I've grown to depend on, that's just not acceptable. And that they've spent any resources at all on a fart app is just insulting.

How do you feel when Apple changes their phones...like removing the Home button or making software changes? It is possible when tech companies make changes it can actually benefit the end user if they give it a chance. I was skeptical when Apple removed the Home button and now I wonder why it ever had one.

Reactions: Evoforce
How do you feel when Apple changes their phones...like removing the Home button or making software changes? It is possible when tech companies make changes it can actually benefit the end user if they give it a chance. I was skeptical when Apple removed the Home button and now I wonder why it ever had one.

Apple has never forced a software update on me. I can keep using my iPhone as I've always used it, if I choose. Tesla has been known to force software updates during service. Tesla also refuses to requests to rollback software updates. Apple allows downgrades, at least for a time. Additionally, Apple has done a far more competent job with their software updates. No iOS update has taken away functionality that I depend on.

As for taking away the home button in recent hardware revisions, I don't see what that has to do with anything. I don't care so much if new Tesla models are lacking functionality that my current car has, because I'm not in the market for new car.

Reactions: Minecon_CA
Apple has never forced a software update on me. I can keep using my iPhone as I've always used it, if I choose. Tesla has been known to force software updates during service. Tesla also refuses to requests to rollback software updates. Apple allows downgrades, at least for a time. Additionally, Apple has done a far more competent job with their software updates. No iOS update has taken away functionality that I depend on.

As for taking away the home button in recent hardware revisions, I don't see what that has to do with anything. I don't care so much if new Tesla models are lacking functionality that my current car has, because I'm not in the market for new car.

Sounds like you should sell your car. Maybe you are in the minority and other owners like the upgrades? You can't make everyone happy.

• Disagree
Reactions: mxnym
Sounds like you should sell your car. Maybe you are in the minority and other owners like the upgrades? You can't make everyone happy.
Humans are inherently resistant to change. Some people will never be satisfied. Some like to drive down stock. Some just like controversy. Some are helping to make the product better. Some want to see the product fail. Some are scorned. Some are pressing for solutions. Some ask too much. Some work for the competition. Most couldn't be much happier with their car...

Last edited:

I'm not seeing any problems... so far. Once I quit fighting the newness of the layout changes, I actually prefer the new controls. They made it easier to reach the controls you need most the most easily.

Someone was talking about an earlier version that had controls that emulated the controls in a typical car. I never had that so I can't comment on it. That would certainly seem intuitive. I do know that trying to use the "Controls" as opposed to the various other windows is not something you want to do while driving really. While it may seem simple enough to touch the screen in a couple of places to adjust something, it requires you to take your eyes off the road and once you've done that it is very easy to be distracted long enough to have an accident.

Humans are inherently resistant to change. Some people will never be satisfied. Some like to drive down stock. Some just like controversy. Some are helping to make the product better. Some want to see the product fail. Some are scorned. Some are pressing for solutions. Some ask too much. Some work for the competition. Most couldn't be much happier with their car...

I love my car, but I could easily be happier with it. I was using Ludicrous mode the other day and heard the dreaded noise from the front end. Even with that, my biggest issue is with the total lack of space for storing the many things I want with me in a car while I'm driving. The center console is the worst I've seen in any car I've had including the ones with bench seats!

I'm not seeing any problems... so far. Once I quit fighting the newness of the layout changes, I actually prefer the new controls. They made it easier to reach the controls you need most the most easily.

Someone was talking about an earlier version that had controls that emulated the controls in a typical car. I never had that so I can't comment on it. That would certainly seem intuitive. I do know that trying to use the "Controls" as opposed to the various other windows is not something you want to do while driving really. While it may seem simple enough to touch the screen in a couple of places to adjust something, it requires you to take your eyes off the road and once you've done that it is very easy to be distracted long enough to have an accident.
Most of those adjustments can be done with the scroll wheel. What you want is to be able to read the instrument cluster in all light settings--this was possible with the early versions, but not possible with the "modern" low contrast screen. Why does "modern" have to lose functionality? On the map, you should be able to read the street name at a glance without staring for a few seconds (the fonts have always been too small, so I can't really blame the new versions for this.) If you want the map bigger, the older high contrast buttons were much quicker to find because they did not blend into the background the way the new ones do.

As a consumer, you have the choice. If you or anyone doesn't like the way Tesla makes changes and feels there is a better product out there, go buy it. If I ever feel that way that is what I will do. These are 1st world problems.

You presented a false choice. There are other choices than to be happy with the changes Tesla makes or sell my car. I will continue to lobby Tesla to return the functionality that was removed in V9, particularly the ability to have the camera on top with any other app on the bottom. In the meantime, I will be happy to continue running on V8, unless Tesla forces me to upgrade, as they've done to others.

As a consumer, you have the choice. If you or anyone doesn't like the way Tesla makes changes and feels there is a better product out there, go buy it. If I ever feel that way that is what I will do. These are 1st world problems.

Changing the product bought or used is one solution that can yield personally satisfactory results.

Engaging in feedback with the maker and/or the market is another that can yield personally satisfactory results.

If someone doesn’t like the way Tesla makes changes, they can make themselves heard.

The MCU crashing or waiting to wake up after Version 9 update is not something that I can really ”stop fighting”.

Reactions: jeffro01