TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla is "no apple of the car industry"

Discussion in 'News' started by Dutchie, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

:confused:

Tesla is no , say Chinese state-owned carmakers | South China Morning Post

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Ha ha ha ha ha.... Sorry, couldn't help it.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Good luck to them. 'Unveil' means show off prototype most likely. Who knows when production would follow.

Hadn't heard of Atieva battery company started by a former Tesla VP before. Wonder which VP.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I hope he is right, I always like seeing companies competing.
    However, I had a chance to test drive a BYD electric vehicle last week. It is the only electric vehicle that made me wish I was driving an ICE:eek:
    The next Chinese made EV has a long way to go.

5. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Yeah, it's so simple and easy, and hardly costs anything, that's why there's so much competition. Oh wait, there is NO competition, and I wouldn't expect anything remotely competitive out of China... Teslas's battery pack technology was chosen for low cost, which still hasn't been beaten.. large format batteries have lots of other issues, and are not low enough in cost. I say "STFU" and show us what you've got :) talk is cheap, actions are what count.

6. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

So it looks like China Auto Makers are still in the "Ignore" stage of the Ghandi process.

Quote: "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
    Mahatma Gandhi

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Or "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they try and copy you, then you win" :)

They would have to be testing the car already if a late 2015 launch was going to be met. If it launches in 2016-2017 then Tesla will be close to Gen III and Model S should be much more refined and may even have a bigger battery pack.

8. franklandfield

OK
    We will see
    Time will tell
    In the meantime
    No shortage of customers for Tesla, model S, and model X
    And Leaf sales continue to break records
    Not seeing too many other 100% electric cars on the road
    Saw a honda fit with a driver cursing it's slow charge up rate, other than that, he LOVED it, lease and all
    Sounds like, "catch me if you can"
    Meanwhile, spaceX delivers to the ISS...
    :)

- - - Updated - - -

110 kW due soon

9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

10. wts13

wts13 Member

Because Chinese OEMs are totally killing the iPhone...

...what's that you say?

11. aventineavenue

That not a true Gandhi quote, but never the less it applies and I agree! :)

12. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

I sense a bit of disregard for "anything made in China" in this thread. I think a bit of wider perspective is required.

Chinese built EVs for the domestic market don't need to compete with a Model S. They don't need to appeal to Californian premium vehicle buyers. All they need is provide viable transportation for China's rapidly expanding middle class. So there's no point in comparing a BYD to a Model S.

Tesla's warm reception in China was netted to the fact that Tesla honored Chinese mentality by acknowledging them as partners at eye level.

I expect the first real competition for Tesla to come from Asia. There is a huge market where new entrants can learn to make cars, scale up production, refine the technology, and then deliver top notch cars to the global market.

IOW: When Elon Musk states Model S as best car of the world, cheerio. When BAIC aims for a car with decent specs, it's defamed as hubris. We should do better than that or face the "fanboy" label.

13. liuping

liuping Active Member

"unveil a new electric car whose performance will transcend that of Model S by the end of 2015" is not "aiming for decent specs". The Model S exists, the BAIC is just boisterous talk at this point of "unveiling" a car in the future. Some amount of skeptisim is in order regardless of fanboy label.

I expect China will produce some good EVs at some point, but by hyping it this way, they loose some credibility.

14. Pate

Pate Member

I guess that also depends on their exact definition of "performance".

I also think that it is understandable that they want to have their future car be better than a current existing car of a competitor. It would be a bit silly for them to announce "Our best future car will be worse than the currently available car of our competitor". :)

15. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Many products that I've used all my life were moved to production facilities in China. Each and every one was ruined, and not corrected. Nothing even close will come out in 2015 or the near future.

16. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Well said.

VolkerP's point is taken though. Auto makers in China and even India are the most likely to want to get off gas.

17. richkae

richkae VIN587

We are in a period of rapid improvement in battery technology.
    After 6 years ( the Model S was "unveiled" in 2009 ) the battery choices available will have vastly superior energy density and cost characteristics.
    If your newly unveiled car doesn't transcend the old ones in some way, you have failed.

18. Username

Username Member

But they will tear apart a Tesla, study it, and make a comparable version at half the price and it will hurt Tesla's sales worldwide.
    I think going after the Chinese market was a mistake.

19. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

I agree with VolkerP, look at what happened with Japanese products in the US. They started out producing cheap, shoddy products but in the end Japan earned a reputation for top quality. I expect Chinese manufacturers will follow a similar path. By then the cheap labor will be in India or someplace else.

20. alexkiritz

alexkiritz Member

By then everything will be made by robots.