Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is offering double cash offer and 10000 miles supercharger credit than when I got my Model Y. I feel I Got ripped..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JImmyW

Dec 24, 2022
CA
I got my Model Y delivered on 12/8 with $3750 cash offer. But now Tesla is offering $7500 cash offer and 10000 mi Supercharger credit if taking delivery between 12/21 - 12/31.
I’m pretty sure Tesla already had this all planned. I felt I got totally ripped off when I found out about it on News.
Will Tesla do price match? Is it worth of trying to fight for it?!

I got my Model Y delivered on 12/8 with $3750 cash offer. But now Tesla is offering $7500 cash offer and 10000 mi Supercharger credit if taking delivery between 12/21 - 12/31.
I’m pretty sure Tesla already had this all planned. I felt I got totally ripped off when I found out about it on News.
A few people have complained about this .. but seriously why? Prices go up and down all the time, especially on technology products. Enjoy your car .. at some point they will raise the price above what you paid .. do you expect them to call you up and demand more money from you? If not, why would you expect them to send you a refund if they lower the price after you buy it?

Upvote 1
Manufactures do this all the time to clear out old inventory. Tesla most likely raised the discounts because the cars weren't selling fast enough. Tesla could offer massive discounts the week after New Years to get rid of left over 2022s. Some Legacy Dealers are send new vehicles to auction because they aren't selling on the lots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A few people have complained about this .. but seriously why?

Perhaps because of the sales process of a tesla being mostly transparent as far as pricing goes, people have been whi.... err.. complaining about this as long as I have been visiting this website (and way before I became a mod here).

Even though they know (or should know) that if they purchased a vehicle from a traditional dealer and their neighbor paid 5k less for the same spec vehicle on the same day, from the same dealer, there would be nothing they could do, they think for some reason that they are entitled to refunds in this case when the price goes down / incentives are offered.

Its not like when the price goes up people volunteer "you know, the price went up, so ill just give you the extra money", but they always feel the reverse should be true, especially for tesla because everyone knows what everyone else is paying.

Whenever this point is brought up over the years, the rebuttal is usually some variation of "Well I thought Tesla was different!", or some other side stepping / ignoring that they were happy with the price they paid when they bought the car, and what someone pays after them is irrelevant.

It doesnt matter though, there are always thread(s) (multiple) created when there is an incentive or price reduction with exactly this "I feel ripped off!" sentiment, and there likely will continue to be, regardless of what the actual situation is.

Upvote 0
When dealing with local dealerships (like a Honda dealer), I would think no two people pay the same price for the same model.
Yep. There’s people that just earlier this month paid full pop for an i4.

So far I’ve disposed of two 40e’s on loser deals after Tesla started their instant rebate.

Upvote 0
When dealing with local dealerships (like a Honda dealer), I would think no two people pay the same price for the same model.

They typically dont, unless they are doing something like using one of the buying services that promote a certain price, or the dealership is touting itself as one of those "one price" dealerships (and people fall for that).

The difference is the transparency. In a traditional dealer transaction, no one really knows what another person pays. I mean, family members / neighbors sometimes talk about this kind of thing, but many people tend to exaggerate / hide info about the transaction, to make theirs look better ("my monthly payment is only XXX" when they omit the fact they put down a large down payment, or didnt qualify for lowest interest rate, or paid a few thousand dollars in window etching, tire warranties, rust prevention treatments, etc).

Upvote 0
That's unfortunate of course. Maybe you haven't thought about this, but there are surely people out there that bought the car before your $3750 offer became available, so from their perspective, you got a deal and they didn't. I am not saying it is right. Just that things change. Some benefit and some don't

Upvote 0
Three now.

Will be four once I figure out someone for a Sunset Orange on Cognac (Tomato). 🤪
(yes I realize this is OT)

Someone order that one and stick you with it? Sounds like the superman 4 Series enthusiasts used to order (estoril over red). A large BMW dealer by me used to not require any sort of deposit on orders, and sometimes ended up with individual M3s on the lot in funky colors for sale.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0
I sympathize; yes, you could have received a lower price if you had waited. Or maybe not, all the cars could have been sold or the ones with your option choices might be gone. So if you would have waited, maybe your car as-is wouldn't have been available. My suggestion is to just enjoy the car and the free SC miles. It will be a whole new experience for you if you've never owned an EV before. Life-changing, actually...Most people never turn back or look back to a gas powered vehicle.

Not that this might make you feel any better, but everyone buying a car at a regular dealership pretty much pays a different price for it (and that system has been in place forever). Some get better pricing, either due to their negotiating skills or the time of the month or quarter that the purchase is made. Some people don't negotiate and pay more. And you as a buyer have no way of knowing what other people are paying (and most buyers are happy with what they paid). At least with the Tesla system, you know that everyone pays the same price at the time the purchase is made...

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 1
(yes I realize this is OT)

Someone order that one and stick you with it? Sounds like the superman 4 Series enthusiasts used to order (estoril over red). A large BMW dealer by me used to not require any sort of deposit on orders, and sometimes ended up with individual M3s on the lot in funky colors for sale.
Was an order and buyer is so flipped (10K negative) on their trade now that the deal no longer made sense even structuring it on a lease and discounting it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0