Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is offering free supercharging if I take a delivery in September

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of your co-workers also ordered the M3? Why did you defer your VIN assignment?
1. 42 :)
2. The lease on my Leaf ends in December and I want to collect $7500 as well. So, when I saw that leading time to submit the order become 2-4 month - I pulled the trigger. To mi surprise I’ve got a call that the car is ready to pick-up in a week. That was not according to the plan, so I pointed out that I want the car in originally estimated timeframe (as was posted on the Tesla site - late October till early December)

I would wait unless you need one right away.. Tesla is desperate right now to make money as they are jacking up the prices like crazy. Too many RWD's are in stock and they have to sell them. If "free supercharging" offer is for a year then it could be worth $150- $250 max as you can't really super charge daily unless you want to wreak the battery and that too only if you have chargers near by. At this current inventory level, they should offer $2500 discount (min 5% on MSRP) or so even with the $7500 federal credit. so they might offer better discount in Q4 is my guess.. others might disagree. If they offer you free supercharing for life then it is at least worth considering.

Wow- Where did you come up with all that nonsense. Supercharging for life is worth thousands for many people. Supercharging daily is not going to harm the pack and if you need to do that daily you would be getting many thousands of savings over the life of the car. Tesla has never offered discounts on their cars and you won't see any this quarter. Anyone would be nuts not to take free SC even for resale alone.

I'm actually surprised there is a glut of RWD M3s. What is this attributed to? Tesla releases the AWD and the P and suddenly everyone who had ordered a RWD wants to reconfigure/wait for an AWD/P instead? Sorry I am a lil late to the M3 party here.

I'm actually surprised there is a glut of RWD M3s. What is this attributed to? Tesla releases the AWD and the P and suddenly everyone who had ordered a RWD wants to reconfigure/wait for an AWD/P instead? Sorry I am a lil late to the M3 party here.
I guess it’s because the increased demand on the east coast, where AWD makes sense, and desire to have a different car then other 5 M3s in your culdesac on the west coast.

1. 42 :)
2. The lease on my Leaf ends in December and I want to collect $7500 as well. So, when I saw that leading time to submit the order become 2-4 month - I pulled the trigger. To mi surprise I’ve got a call that the car is ready to pick-up in a week. That was not according to the plan, so I pointed out that I want the car in originally estimated timeframe (as was posted on the Tesla site - late October till early December)
The joys of leasing a car! At least you don't have to worry about that with the M3

Got email form Tesla, I don’t know how to call him - delivery scheduler. Deal is I can get free supercharging on my RWD M3 if I take a delivery in September. Should I take the offer or should I wait till the end of the next quarter for a better one?

If the incentive is worth it to you, I'd go for it. That said, with all the delivery delay and quality issues being shared, I would not give them the money until you've seen, inspected and driven the car. I would also not accept a car with flaws under the assurance they'll be corrected in a timely manner. This is the standard reasonable expectation of delivery satisfaction one should assume for any automobile purchase from any car company.

Wow- Where did you come up with all that nonsense. Supercharging for life is worth thousands for many people. Supercharging daily is not going to harm the pack and if you need to do that daily you would be getting many thousands of savings over the life of the car. Tesla has never offered discounts on their cars and you won't see any this quarter. Anyone would be nuts not to take free SC even for resale alone.
You are obviously not keeping up. You can buy discounted Model S and X units right now with zero miles. Test drive units with a few thousand miles are discounted even more. Go to EV-CPO.com to see the numbers and availability. Tesla offered huge discounts this time last year as well. That was how Jon McNeill blew out about 6,400 older inventory units between August and December.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
If the incentive is worth it to you, I'd go for it. That said, with all the delivery delay and quality issues being shared, I would not give them the money until you've seen, inspected and driven the car. I would also not accept a car with flaws under the assurance they'll be corrected in a timely manner. This is the standard reasonable expectation of delivery satisfaction one should assume for any automobile purchase from any car company.

My biggest concern, Tesla may postpone the delivery to early October, which is quite sub-optimal for me. I will have to postpone it till December then.

Your entire post is even wrong. Even your punctuation usage is wrong.

Your answer is partially correct. Other probable possibilities are

1.) Missing parts for AWD/P. Make RWD or line stays idle.

2.) Cars are made in batches so extra of every config is created.

3.) Better absolute production ratio of RWD vs AWD and P given one motor is needed.

4.) Better relative profits to sell two RWD versus one AWD.

There’s absolutely no demand issue as the US is not the entire market for Tesla’s.

There’s supply pressure to maximize Q3 deliveries but they are given up near zero margin to do so.

Reactions: neroden
Your entire post is even wrong. Even your punctuation usage is wrong.

My post is "even wrong?" Funny use of punctuation. Can't wait to see Tesla discounting cars this year. I'll let my friend who commutes 25K miles a year know that free SC is not a benefit and she should charge at home and pay her lowest rate of $.45 per kWh. Saving almost $3K a year sure has no value. Tesla has given perks and referral credits.

Last edited:
My post is "even wrong?" Funny use of punctuation. Can't wait to see Tesla discounting cars this year. I'll let my friend who commutes 25K miles a year know that free SC is not a benefit and she should charge at home and pay her lowest rate of $.45 per kWh. Saving almost $3K a year sure has no value. Tesla has given perks and referral credits.
.45 per kWh is a bit steep. More likely the rate is in .1x - .2x, at least in US during the night

There is no supercharging for life of car on RWD Model 3’s. Only P.

Supercharging beats the battery up because you are heating it up atmuch higher than 48amps at 240V. I’m buds with a battery engineer which I won’t call out but wonder if you’d listen to him?

There is no resale benefit for supercharging for any new Tesla sold after Feb 15th or so of 2017. It only stays with first owner.

I would like to know what utility. I live in the people’s republic of kommieforniastan and my electricity is not that high.

The big picture is Tesla should not sell a car to someone who would actually burn 3000 of electricity per year on “free” supercharging.

I understand they can’t control adverse selection, moral hazard, tragedy of the commons but I hope they don’t go bust offering energy policies to serial users.

There is no supercharging for life of car on RWD Model 3’s. Only P.

Supercharging beats the battery up because you are heating it up atmuch higher than 48amps at 240V. I’m buds with a battery engineer which I won’t call out but wonder if you’d listen to him?

There is no resale benefit for supercharging for any new Tesla sold after Feb 15th or so of 2017. It only stays with first owner.

I would like to know what utility. I live in the people’s republic of kommieforniastan and my electricity is not that high.

The big picture is Tesla should not sell a car to someone who would actually burn 3000 of electricity per year on “free” supercharging.

I understand they can’t control adverse selection, moral hazard, tragedy of the commons but I hope they don’t go bust offering energy policies to serial users.

Using an SC on a Tesla is not going to damage the pack unless you are charging many times a day at a high SOC and in high heat. The average customer SC use would not make any notable difference on pack degradation. Our business has done work on the SC for Tesla on some of their new high-power consumption SC products and there is plenty of pack data on high milage cars with moderate SC use and I have been in the EV charging industry more than 10 years. I am also aware of what cars get free SC for life and I never made a claim that AWD cars get that even though that is not completely true however not offered publicly. No, I would not listen to your engineer friend who claims that charging a Tesla at 11.5 kW is "much worse", this is a sweeping generalization. Heat and high SOC is the enemy but it is very conditional.

Check out PGE electric rates among others. Not everyone lives in areas with hydro power and low fixed rates. Most people never meet baseline and have high rates in these areas. If you own a home in the Bay Area and have an EV and no solar you are likely paying very high rates here and elsewhere in CA.

You are correct on one point, SC is not transferable on newer cars.

So, many people commute 100 miles a day here and that's actually 25K miles and far more than the $3000 savings for many. Are you saying Tesla should not sell to those people? That may be your opinion and one that is not shared by Tesla and their sales team on the P3 and previous cars. They have sold thousands of cars to people that do just that. I am glad SC is now more pay per use and this is being done to reduce crowding primarily. However this does not negate the fact that it is significant benefit and savings which was my original point not if they should or should not do it.

To SC a car for this use above it would be only a couple SC charges per week, nothing that would result in even a negligible difference on pack life.