Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is officially ghosting early Solar Roof orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a call from a Tesla Solar rep who told me quite clearly that based on the price that Tesla offered me (and which I accepted years ago) that I should not expect the install to move forward. I quote: "It looks like you have had a solar roof project on hold for nearly 800 days, based on the price agreed on that project you can expect to wait another 800 days, I would recommend you consider a 3rd party installer"

I pointed out that Tesla could contract out the install to a 3rd party installer at the price at which we agreed. And I noted that I have been a long-time customer since 2014 and treating early-adopters like this is pretty messed up. Obviously that made little difference.

It was weird. He was clearly trying to get me to cancel but made a point of saying that Tesla could cancel at any time based on the contract. He stated that after I said I would likely pursue arbitration.

Why doesn't Tesla just cancel my project like they have done with so many others?

I'm currently inclined to shout from the rooftops about how garbage Tesla Solar is but I figured I would turn to TMC instead before I do that in case anyone has some sage advice.

• Informative
Reactions: cali8484
Sounds like you ordered somewhere around here....

I'm currently inclined to shout from the rooftops about how garbage Tesla Solar is but I figured I would turn to TMC instead before I do that in case anyone has some sage advice.

That already exists in that 50+ page thread I linked above. There isnt anything we can suggest here other than waiting, or canceling.

Just got a call from a Tesla Solar rep who told me quite clearly that based on the price that Tesla offered me (and which I accepted years ago) that I should not expect the install to move forward. I quote: "It looks like you have had a solar roof project on hold for nearly 800 days, based on the price agreed on that project you can expect to wait another 800 days, I would recommend you consider a 3rd party installer"

I pointed out that Tesla could contract out the install to a 3rd party installer at the price at which we agreed. And I noted that I have been a long-time customer since 2014 and treating early-adopters like this is pretty messed up. Obviously that made little difference.

It was weird. He was clearly trying to get me to cancel but made a point of saying that Tesla could cancel at any time based on the contract. He stated that after I said I would likely pursue arbitration.

Why doesn't Tesla just cancel my project like they have done with so many others?

Tesla doesn't need early adopters anymore, so those things that you did to get the company off the ground are great and probably part of why I own a Tesla.

They are also clearly large enough to eat a few tens of K in losses to honor their promises but won't because the bad publicity won't cost them anything. I am glad that we never tried to install the SolarGlass roofs, though they look really nice.

Your only hope IMO is to tweet the head twit and somehow get his attention to take care of his money-making companies, good luck with that.

Tesla doesn't need early adopters anymore, so those things that you did to get the company off the ground are great and probably part of why I own a Tesla.

They are also clearly large enough to eat a few tens of K in losses to honor their promises but won't because the bad publicity won't cost them anything. I am glad that we never tried to install the SolarGlass roofs, though they look really nice.

Your only hope IMO is to tweet the head twit and somehow get his attention to take care of his money-making companies, good luck with that.
why anyone would want to spend lots of money with a company like this is, .........

I've owned 3 teslas. We have 2 powerwalls. Hell, I'm wearing a tesla solar roof shirt right now. If they came to me and said, "listen, we screwed up the original price, but we could make it work for a 25% increase" I would strongly consider that. Don't know why they have to be so dumb about it.
Sorry for your troubles, but how often does a company run by the "head twit" excel at customer service? If it were me, I would follow the advice the thread linked above. This isn't wine, or cheese and I think that it won't get better with age.

Any legal options? I don't follow the solar roof stuff other than knowing about the price increases, then they backed down after legal threats, but I guess if they just drag their feet and never install it, that's the same as raising the price since the result is the same (not getting it done).

I would be willing to pay about 25-30% more with a 3rd party installer. I would welcome working with someone that responds rapidly to issues, etc (ie not tesla). The problem is that the quote from RENU is for more than double the cost of what Tesla quoted me. Tough to swallow...

Did you ever pursue anything? I am in the exact same situation with a order from 2020.

I filed for arbitration and they said they would lose more money installing it at the price they had agreed to vs. fighting it in arbitration.

So now going to arbitration. I figure they weren't going to install it anyways, so might as well.