Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Is Officially Selling A Used Model 3 With Serious Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If someone will buy it why not sell it?
I feel like a broken record. Theres nothing wrong with selling a used car with rust. BUT it diminishes their prestige by doing so. Not to mention it diminishes the prestige of all of our cars to put that rust bucket on display on their website. We realists actually agree with you fan boys, we think. that Tesla is too good to showcase a car in that condition. if I knew nothing about Tesla and saw that on their website, I would surmise that the cars are all rust prone battery powered rust buckets (lol).

i’m a fan boy because i think if you can sell a car, sell it? I think being able to sell a car with bad paint and rust for 50K says something different than you think it does.

Premium car brands typically only sell "certified" used vehicles, AKA not cars in this type of shape. Sure it will sell, but that's when you go to CARMAX to find something like this - not the OEM. Tesla should auction it and let the buyer sell it on a used car lot.

It's a USED car being sold as a USED car with all damage clearly shown. Is the price a little much? sure but i have no idea how people correlate this to prestige. Are we saying no high end cars ever look bad? Tesla makes cars but also facilitates the sale of cars. They are selling a car that runs but has visual damage. Not that big of a deal.

There are lots of things you can poke Tesla about .. this isn't one of them.

Reactions: MP3Mike
My question here is, was the car delivered like this new or did it get damaged by the first owner and traded in?

it’s a poor showing on the used market either way and if they expect to move it they should really consider throwing a bigger discount at.
Search threads for sandblasted rocker panels. It's what happens in some northern climes, Canada, Finland, etc., where there's lots of sand or salt or road grit that gets blasted at the rockers during the winter months.

It's due to the aero design. Most cars, are slab sided. Very vertical behind the front tires, to prevent road dirt from flying up from the front tires hitting the rockers. The Model 3 is undercut for aero, exposing the rockers to that dirt.

No paint job can survive that amount of intense sandblasting. They should have offered people in northern climes a set of mudflaps, like they do now. Or they should have PPF'd that part. The mudflaps are cheap, maybe unsightly, but sandblasted rockers are even more unsightly.

Premium car brands typically only sell "certified" used vehicles, AKA not cars in this type of shape. Sure it will sell, but that's when you go to CARMAX to find something like this - not the OEM. Tesla should auction it and let the buyer sell it on a used car lot.

you are conflating now things used to be done with how they should be done. Tesla has rolled without dealships and has worked out thus far. I’d say rolling without auctioneers taking 20-30 percent of what the car sales for and skipping two middle mans seems almost reasonable.

you are conflating now things used to be done with how they should be done. Tesla has rolled without dealships and has worked out thus far. I’d say rolling without auctioneers taking 20-30 percent of what the car sales for and skipping two middle mans seems almost reasonable.
It’s worked because they were at best a niche automaker until the Model 3 was released for mass consumption. Going forward.....well...they really need to catch up when it comes to sales support as contact is touch and go with advisors either ghosting or contacting diligently (as they well should, we’re not buying popsicles here.)

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Sure, consumers can choose to not buy a $52,000 rusted 2 year old car, especially with the distance that's on it. It's completely ludicrous. However Tesla knows someone will, because fanboys.

$52,000 Canadian. That's $37,500 USD.

Get a grip. They're selling used car with some defects. They're disclosing them. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

Get a grip. They're selling used car with some defects. They're disclosing them. If you don't want it, don't buy it.
Has the $CAD really fallen that much? Yeesh...

Haven’t seen the listing but at that price there’s no way it comes with FSD (but if it does, then it’s in range for the condition)

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110

Yes. I know. I'm from Canada, and I know what I paid for a new 2019 AWD (roughly $65k before taxes). The car in discussion already has 70,000+km and rust that will only get much worse if it's that present already. I think I addressed the "don't want it, don't buy it" point. I just don't like that Tesla is the type of company perfectly fine selling a car in this condition at this price just because they know it will sell. It's a bit disappointing.

Reactions: Toppatop55
If anything, seeing those photos makes me happy that i put have flaps on mine to prevent that.

calipercovers.jpg
IMG_0112.jpg

Reactions: Toppatop55