Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is SOOOOO BAD at their job!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, I love their cars, this is my 3rd (Model 3 SR+, upgraded to Model Y LR, upgraded to Model Y Performance)

But they are HORRIBLE at doing their job.

Somewhere in the buying process of the Y Performance there was an option to get new plates or transfer my old plates. I figured I would transfer my old since it might save me a few bucks. Well fast forward a couple weeks later to when I'm *RUSHED* to get the car because one suddenly showed up. I literally had 3 business days from being notified about it to being told I would lose it. I had to organize my financing (which amazingly took less than 24 hours and all remote!) and do Tesla's job by calling no less than 10 times to get them to finalize the payoff quote so I could finalize my financing so I could take the car, all while I was getting text messages telling me to make final payment or they would yank the car.

Amazing work on my part. I clearly could work as a Tesla sales advisor. Anyway. I have everything ready and I go pick up the car and drop off my Y as the trade. Totally forgot I had said I would transfer plates. The Tesla sales guy prints off his little thing and tapes it in the rear window of the car and cleans up a couple tiny marks that we weren't sure were scratches or not. Literally turns his head to verify my trade is a Model Y, says "you're good to go... wow, that thing looks brand new." Then asks if I need anything else before I go. I ask if they need to do a walk around on my trade or anything and he says "Nah, that thing is clean, you're fine" and I drive away.

Fast forward to me finally getting my documents in the mail for the new car... but no plates. OH *sugar*. I said I was going to transfer them... well a quick trip down to my local licensing office in eastern WA where I live (so four hours away from Tesla Renton where I got the car) and $70 or so out of pocket and I have a new set of plates. Well, there goes any saving any money! The licensing office suggests I contact Tesla to have them pay for the new plates... these guys obviously have never tried to get ahold of a person at Tesla.

Well today I get a WSDOT bill in the mail for a toll fee on August 17th. It's not big, $5.50, but I'm annoyed that Tesla, or someone drove my car with my old plates on across a toll road, TWICE. I'm going between disputing the charges (I have signed documents with Tesla showing I traded in my car on August 9th) or just paying the $5.50. I also vaguely remember there is an online service with WA that you can report you've sold a car. Turns out you have to pay $13 to do that! Well whatever, I don't want someone with my plates murdering 12 people and them coming after me, the WA web site clearly states I can be responsible for it if my plates are being used and the new person never registered. Guess what. I can't report it sold. When I type in my VIN it can't be found. When I type in my old plates it shows my NEW car's VIN. So I guess my plates could be floating around out there being used and in the system it'll show my NEW 2022 PERFORMACE VIN! This is exactly what I DO NOT want. Oh, it also says on the site I'm on the hook for GoodToGo (Toll) fees until I report it sold.

So now I get to call someone to figure out how the hell to fix this so the feds don't show up at my door one day saying they have my license plate outside the white house in a suspicious way or something. Also I'm out $75.50.

How are these people so horrible at their jobs? Is this just the younger generation? Everyone I've talked to at Tesla have been like 22 to 26 and they've all been literally the worst at their jobs.

• Funny
Reactions: Hank42 and JDEWD250
Um, you're the one who forgot to transfer your plates.
Wouldn't have needed to if the dealership told me to take my plates off, or took them off for me.

Wouldn't have needed to if the dealership reported the car sold, or reminded me that I needed to.

How often do I buy/sell cars vs how often do they do it?

Would the average person likely remember if they buy a car once every five or ten years, or should it be part of the protocol with Tesla that might deliver a hundred cars a week?

so I agree with you on the fact that Tesla isn’t as thorough when it comes to getting everything done. They are basically using a new system of doin 99% of the work up from and you just “sign and drive”. I noticed the same thing when trading in my Ford Fusion where I said “don’t you even need to open it up and look at it?” I guess when you think of how cars are bought and sold at auction sight unseen, that’s why they do that since that’s where it’s going anyhow.

As far as your complaint though, I think you should take part of the blame (like really it’s 90% of the blame). I always make sure they switch my plates wherever I get a car.

I can understand your frustration but the limited number of times things like this happen compared to the convenience of 15 min at a dealership vs 4 hours at a regular dealership, I still think Tesla is ahead.

Reactions: nate704 and TesraY
So you didn't apply for financing early enough. Didn't remove your plates. and this is Tesla's fault.
Hate to say it, but This is all your fault. Lack of planning makes for bad outcomes.

Eh, I put the financing thing on Tesla.

No one should feel like they need to either keep on risking hard checks to their credit by applying with no VIN. Heck if you're financing third party, they require MVPA for the the loan which requires VIN.

So I put the rushing with financing on Tesla's BS you will take delivery on their schedule or lose the car. It's BS and everyone knows it.

Reactions: Hank42
Eh, I put the financing thing on Tesla.

No one should feel like they need to either keep on risking hard checks to their credit by applying with no VIN. Heck if you're financing third party, they require MVPA for the the loan which requires VIN.

So I put the rushing with financing on Tesla's BS you will take delivery on their schedule or lose the car. It's BS and everyone knows it.
I applied for financing right off the bat when purchasing my Model 3 and everything went exceptionally smooth. If you can't afford a couple credit check runs on your credit report, maybe that should be something separate an individual should be working on.

So you didn't apply for financing early enough. Didn't remove your plates. and this is Tesla's fault.
Hate to say it, but This is all your fault. Lack of planning makes for bad outcomes.
Tesla told me the car would be ready between mid October and mid December. I ordered at the start of August. My financing would not have been valid for that long. I'm not going to keep taking hits on my credit because I keep getting approved for financing. Tesla called me 10 days later and asked if I could take delivery THAT DAY for the car. That started my count down clock and they offered to push it out up to five days, two of those days were a weekend. My financing actually wouldn't have been a mad dash if Tesla had provided me a trade in quote (I had everything submitted in the app, they just needed to do their job). Not sure how I'm supposed to finance the car if I don't know how much Tesla will give me on trade in. Also not sure how I'm supposed to take delivery of a car before Tesla gives me a trade quote. Tesla (like usual) needs to get their *sugar* together before they start to rush customers to take delivery.

If THEY had done everything they needed and then gave me 3 to 5 days I would have been golden with zero stress. It's the fact that I contacted them Thursday about the trade quote, they said someone would take care of it Friday, I wanted till mid afternoon Friday (my lender on the east coast was already closed) and complained to Tesla again that the quote wasn't showing. Finally Monday morning a trade quote came through and I worked with my lender and they wired the funds to Tesla on Tuesday which was the last day for me to pick up my car. I think I busted ass to make things happen... Tesla... not so much.

I would also suggest Tesla provide us a guide on how to trade in a car and take delivery since their lazy gen z sales guys clearly don't provide any guidance.

Oh, also even the instructions that Tesla provides are *sugar*. I sweet talked my bank into doing a wire transfer even though they wanted to mail a check (ZERO time for that) and then Tesla said that the payment doesn't apply to my vehicle because "no one" uses wire transfers and their system isn't set up to see that normally. They recorded the transfer but they didn't credit it against the vehicle price, so even hours before delivery it showed $30k due even after showing a $30k bank wire. Had to call them to get that fixed too. Maybe don't put "preferred method" in your financing instructions if you literally don't have your computer system programmed to recognize and apply wire transfers.

Tesla employees are a *sugar* show, you know it and I know it. They don't need anyone standing up for them, they seriously need to improve because that will be the only thing slowing them down as more options for EVs come on the market.

Reactions: Nubo
besides blame, best bet is to get new set of plates and mark current ones as stolen.
more money but you'll release all liability from yourself.
Unfortunately if I report them stolen then my 2022 Model Y could potentially get picked up. My NEW VIN is tied to my OLD plates. No online system is letting me fix that, so I get to go somewhere in person to fix this or call someone. Would be wonderingly if I could call Tesla to have them help me, but I'm sure that would work perfectly...

Also, my car totally was a reject. I inspected everywhere and was confused why it popped up so quickly. Forgot to inspect the trunk (because I hate being one of those assholes that is measuring everything and using a flashlight to look everywhere and nitpick) and guess what... the left cubby thing near the front of the trunk... bare metal, didn't put the carpet in there and apparently even after someone rejected it (and likely pointed that out) they didn't fix it. So I'll have to mobile service that.

Yes, he obviously should have applied much sooner.
Well... I didn't even have a trade quote yet. Do I apply for $70k or only $30k?

If Tesla tells me between mid October and mid December and their trade quotes are only good for 30 days, I'll submit a trade quote around the start of October. Get the quote and then submit with my 3rd party lender for financing. When I get a text message about 9 days after I order checking if I can pick up the car THAT day. Well... not sure when I should have applied for financing.

I applied for financing right off the bat when purchasing my Model 3 and everything went exceptionally smooth. If you can't afford a couple credit check runs on your credit report, maybe that should be something separate an individual should be working on.
I probably could have afforded it, but why should I have to? I was a little annoyed I was going to need a credit check again in the first place since it was with my same lender and was for $2,000 LESS than the loan I had with them that I was closing out (the car I was trading in) and my income had increased a significant amount in the last two years.

But here's the thing, if they're going to make up the rules to the game, I'm going to expect businesses follow them in a logical way. Penalize me every time I want to be approved, well then you better have your *sugar* lined up so I only need approved once, or understand that you need to wait a few business days because I'm going to need approval.