Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is SOOOOO BAD at their job!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I applied for financing right off the bat when purchasing my Model 3 and everything went exceptionally smooth. If you can't afford a couple credit check runs on your credit report, maybe that should be something separate an individual should be working on.

It's not about can't afford it.

I am not going to take multiple hits to my credit for a freaking car. And I have very good credit and I am not going to lower multiple times just to get a Tesla.

Unfortunately if I report them stolen then my 2022 Model Y could potentially get picked up. My NEW VIN is tied to my OLD plates. No online system is letting me fix that, so I get to go somewhere in person to fix this or call someone. Would be wonderingly if I could call Tesla to have them help me, but I'm sure that would work perfectly...
i think u miss understood me, forget the other old plates for a moment
ppl get plates stolen all the time so imagine ur current ones u have, got stolen n u currently have no plates
go to dmv n say i want new plates as in New numbers n letters, other plates will get flagged as stolen

Reactions: Bp25
In Texas, the dealer has to immediately take off the plates upon trade in. They can’t have any car on the lot with plates (excluding temp or dealer plates). Period.
OP, please check with your DMV about laws in your state. If they have similar laws, Tesla will be on the hook to track down those plates. It is their fault that they let the plates stay on the car and let someone drive it. People here can blame you for forgetting the plates all they want, it does not release Tesla from their liability.

It's not about can't afford it.

I am not going to take multiple hits to my credit for a freaking car. And I have very good credit and I am not going to lower multiple times just to get a Tesla.
Especially when someone is clearly serious. They submit a trade quote, I offered to put a few grand down on it (I miss the days of credit card, but was going to transfer from my checking), but nothing will hold that car for you with Tesla. If tesla can't get their side organized, well they should be ready for having to spend a bunch of time hounding the customer to get their stuff organized. Plus I wasted at least three call people's time (probably 20 minutes each time, so an hour of labor) to just keep bugging them to go faster with the trade quote. If they had just let me "accept" the car with a down payment or trade offer and then given me a decent window (7 to 10 days to account for holidays or weekends) I wouldn't have had to call and use up labor time. Now think about if a bunch of people are having to call to get them to move faster and how much wasted time that is. Just do it right the first time and it's faster, cheaper, and better experience for the customer.

Don't get me wrong, it's 10,000 times better than a normal car dealer, but there is so much room for someone else to come by and actually refine this digital experience and nail it. Then Tesla is going to have catching up to do, not leading the pack.

And further, this is the 3rd Tesla and each and every time the sales experience was way less than stellar and required multiple calls from me to make sure they were getting stuff done. Three years ago I was telling friends if they buy a Tesla the only downside is that THEY need to be the ones to stay on top of Tesla and call in to get documents for their lender or make sure things are moving forward etc. This isn't a one off where I was stupid and forgot the plates, this is more of the same. AND, even if I was stupid and forgot the plates, a good process with a good experience would have THEM reminding me and that being part of a checklist. That avoids posts like this and maybe someone on the fence thinking "Eh... I'll stick with Polestar instead, I had decent experience with my Volvo dealer before and I don't really like this digital hands off thing."

Just be better. Be the best you can be. Why settle for "eh, it kinda works but as long as we sell the cars and get paid."

I mean the engineering side must be pushing for being the best in everything. The software is so much better. The charge speed. The charge network. The performance of the cars.

Like finally nail down the delivery side and customer service side.

Oh, also, the nice automated text messages I kept getting bugging me to schedule delivery that also ended with "reply to this message if you need help or have questions." NEVER got a reply back. Not once on the five or six times I sent a message back asking for help. Remove that option if you're not going to stay on top of it. I am less annoyed if the option isn't there vs if it is and you ignore it.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
i think u miss understood me, forget the other old plates for a moment
ppl get plates stolen all the time so imagine ur current ones u have, got stolen n u currently have no plates
go to dmv n say i want new plates as in New numbers n letters, other plates will get flagged as stolen
I got new plates. That was super easy. I showed them the registration Tesla sent me finally and explained the issue and they said I could contact Tesla and try to have them find my old plates and send them to me or they could charge me $70 for new plates. I had my credit card out so fast. Just wanted to settle it right then and not deal with Tesla humans. I've had them for a week or two. Just today when I went to report the car sold since this toll fee tipped me off to it my OLD plates in the system pull up the NEW VIN. I would check to see what my new plates show but I don't remember what they are and I'm at work right now.

But it's a little worrying my old plates are still linked to my new 2022 car in the Washington State system.... could be that the new plates they sold me that are on the car now aren't linked to anything.

Again, would have been wonderfully avoided if the sales guy that does this every day said "oh hey, don't forget to grab your old plates."

In Texas, the dealer has to immediately take off the plates upon trade in. They can’t have any car on the lot with plates (excluding temp or dealer plates). Period.
OP, please check with your DMV about laws in your state. If they have similar laws, Tesla will be on the hook to track down those plates. It is their fault that they let the plates stay on the car and let someone drive it. People here can blame you for forgetting the plates all they want, it does not release Tesla from their liability.
Interesting, I'll check. These fee's took place about two weeks after I traded the car in. It could have been someone running between Tesla stores or just someone test driving the car since they were for one direction and then back the other direction like 20 minutes later. I think it was before Tesla listed the car for sale though... but I'm not positive.

Would be nice to have Tesla deal with this and refund me the fees I've paid, not so much because it's almost an extra $100 but more of "hey, if you're going to make me deal with this, you're going to pay for it."

Edit: Yep, likely a Tesla sales guy driving the car. Toll happened on August 17th on the Seattle 405 express way at 12:30pm and then again at 1:04pm. My car was posted to the Tesla used site on September 1st and I took delivery of my Performance on August 9th. So car must have sat with my plates on for 8 days before a Tesla guy drove it somewhere... or gosh, maybe used as a loaner! Then Tesla got around to selling the car about two weeks later.

I probably could have afforded it, but why should I have to? I was a little annoyed I was going to need a credit check again in the first place since it was with my same lender and was for $2,000 LESS than the loan I had with them that I was closing out (the car I was trading in) and my income had increased a significant amount in the last two years.

But here's the thing, if they're going to make up the rules to the game, I'm going to expect businesses follow them in a logical way. Penalize me every time I want to be approved, well then you better have your *sugar* lined up so I only need approved once, or understand that you need to wait a few business days because I'm going to need approval.
You're in charge of when you apply for financing, due it early take the small hit on the credit report. Do it late risk the scramble and getting the car, Do it a little later and maybe everything works out just fine. This apply for credit only one you get the VIN has been circulating on TMC for a while, apparently that plan has some flaws Right????

I got new plates. That was super easy. I showed them the registration Tesla sent me finally and explained the issue and they said I could contact Tesla and try to have them find my old plates and send them to me or they could charge me $70 for new plates. I had my credit card out so fast. Just wanted to settle it right then and not deal with Tesla humans. I've had them for a week or two. Just today when I went to report the car sold since this toll fee tipped me off to it my OLD plates in the system pull up the NEW VIN. I would check to see what my new plates show but I don't remember what they are and I'm at work right now.

But it's a little worrying my old plates are still linked to my new 2022 car in the Washington State system.... could be that the new plates they sold me that are on the car now aren't linked to anything.

Again, would have been wonderfully avoided if the sales guy that does this every day said "oh hey, don't forget to grab your old plates."
Well then i misunderstood you.
If your current plates are different from OLD plates then DMV made a mistake, u can't have 2 set of plates on same VIN
Or, they just gave u New OLD plate assuming u just lost them forever n nobody else would use them...

This is another one of those threads that, Based on the thread title, and the tenor of the first post, I knew basically what the discussion was going to look like in the thread (and also which regular members would participate).

Threads like this bring a certain type of back and forth discussion, from people who are fairly passionate about that discussion from both specific angles.

Not all the members I would expect to see respond have already shown up, though.

Well then i misunderstood you.
If your current plates are different from OLD plates then DMV made a mistake, u can't have 2 set of plates on same VIN
Or, they just gave u New OLD plate assuming u just lost them forever n nobody else would use them...
Yep, it seems at least in one Washington State system my old plates (on the trade in vehicle) show my new 2022 VIN (probably because Tesla filed paperwork saying plates had been transferred).

I got a new plate with a new number at my local licensing office after explaining what happened. Your right, two plates can't be linked to the same car, so I wonder if my new plates show that they're not associated with any car?

So everyone is bad at their job...

This is another one of those threads that, Based on the thread title, and the tenor of the first post, I knew basically what the discussion was going to look like in the thread (and also which regular members would participate).

Threads like this bring a certain type of back and forth discussion, from people who are fairly passionate about that discussion from both specific angles.

Not all the members I would expect to see respond have already shown up, though.
804son - Present🤣

I am just surprised how many people seem to have switched from complaining about Tesla service to.... loving it maybe?

Sure, I forgot, I'm stupid, wow I'm the worst human how could I ever have done that when this was the first vehicle I traded in.

But again, should we not all be wishing Tesla was better at their jobs, even if this might be something outside of the realm of their responsibility?

I guarantee if I had tired to walk out without handing over my key cards or signing some paperwork the Tesla guy would have made sure I did that before I left.

I got a new plate with a new number at my local licensing office after explaining what happened. Your right, two plates can't be linked to the same car, so I wonder if my new plates show that they're not associated with any car?
If u got a registration showing ur VIN n NEW plates then it is assigned to ur car.
Probably best to make a trip to DMV to double ck everything but i think u have nothing to worry about n just tell em to flag old plates as stolen.

Tesla is the gold standard in my opinion, while having several areas that need improvement. It wasn't that long ago where I would spend days in the legacy auto show rooms playing the silly games such as "that's the best I can do but let me check with my manager - queue the sale closer act scene 1", the trade-in, credit, financing "what a great deal I have for you today" scheme and the classic "I only have these on the lot - "do you like Tangerine Sunrise??" not to mention the endless paperwork, faxing insurance, ugh....wasn't that long ago....

Tesla isn't flawless, but every day it seems that more established manufacturers are progressively evolving to emulate Tesla's business model.

I will say. Every interaction or service I have had with Tesla Service has been outstanding. Everyone was respectful, upfront and resolved the issue timely. I'm no Tesla apologist there are other areas I do feel are lacking. All things considered I've had better experiences with Tesla than dealerships