Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is SOOOOO BAD at their job!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will admit they're always pleasant and never push (other than taking delivery of the damn car). But they're hard to get a hold of (in my experience, and especially if you're not near a service/delivery center like I am).

They are years better than the other guys. But largely my issue with the other guys is how sleazy they are. Once I got down to a deal (even if it wasn't any discount, but just actually to the paperwork part), they were pretty organized and handled things accurately.

I'm glad others are following in Tesla's footsteps, it should be that way. People know what they want, they don't need to be talked into more, they don't need to be cross sold something, etc. BUT, I want Tesla to lead the pack, I don't want to see others that actually nail the return communication and paperwork side passing by Tesla. This just is something they should be able to really be great at by now.

I would suggest just getting a new plate issued altogether, new numbers etc.

I do think the blame is 50/50 on that scenario, you both should’ve been attentive to the plate situation.

And yeah, it’s annoying trying to contact anyone. You either live with it and be frustrated or go to another brand. Don’t see it changing anytime soon with the number of cars on the road increasing everyday, and not enough people available to address every minor issue.

1663454285653.png

yeah, dealing with Tesla is like dealing with the DMV. Sometimes easy and sometimes a # 3 pain in the A$$

scale of 1-10, #1 the most pain.
DMV has actually been much better and quicker for me.

Dealing with a Tesla person isn't unpleasant, it's GETTING AHOLD of the Tesla person that is so frustrating. Every time I've actually got a hold of a Tesla worker and discussed my issue they're (mostly) been able to correct it right then and there, but getting ahold of someone is often very hard. Guy called and left his number and assured me via voicemail he would make sure to get everything organized so delivery would happen on time. I called at least ten times over three days and the guy never answer or returned calls. I ended up calling a Tesla store to speak to someone and then the 1800 number and thankfully somehow got the same guy twice across two different days on the 1800 number and he remembered my issue and was able to help me out. Again, never replied to any of my text messages even though the text constantly says that's the best way to get a hold of someone for order/delivery issues.

It's stuff like that which makes it very frustrating. I don't want a sales guy hassling me about stuff, but I do want the sales guys available to me if I have issues and easy to get a hold of. I was never formally assigned a sales advisor, ever. Three Tesla's and I read people saying they had a sales advisor that took car of them, never for me.

Again, make small changes on stuff like that and the whole system races back to the top.

Maybe one is impatient? I use the app and text the service through the app and wait 2-3 days and I get proper response and issues resolved within 2-3 days. Try to get an appointment at the legacy auto dealerships, and you will get lucky to get a date and time within a week, and at least 2-3 hours at the dealerships sitting/waiting/enjoying that nasty K-cup coffee from the machine they never clean/wash.

Maybe one is impatient? I use the app and text the service through the app and wait 2-3 days and I get proper response and issues resolved within 2-3 days. Try to get an appointment at the legacy auto dealerships, and you will get lucky to get a date and time within a week, and at least 2-3 hours at the dealerships sitting/waiting/enjoying that nasty K-cup coffee from the machine they never clean/wash.
But I only had a couple days to take delivery.... three business days to be exact. If I waited 2 or 3 days then I wouldn't have been able to get financing done in time...

Dealing with a Tesla person isn't unpleasant, it's GETTING AHOLD of the Tesla person that is so frustrating. Every time I've actually got a hold of a Tesla worker and discussed my issue they're (mostly) been able to correct it right then and there, but getting ahold of someone is often very hard. Guy called and left his number and assured me via voicemail he would make sure to get everything organized so delivery would happen on time. I called at least ten times over three days and the guy never answer or returned calls. I ended up calling a Tesla store to speak to someone and then the 1800 number and thankfully somehow got the same guy twice across two different days on the 1800 number and he remembered my issue and was able to help me out. Again, never replied to any of my text messages even though the text constantly says that's the best way to get a hold of someone for order/delivery issues.
Did u ask him WHY he didn't reply?
I'm always curious n confront ppl when i get a hold of them :)

Did u ask him WHY he didn't reply?
I'm always curious n confront ppl when i get a hold of them :)
He still hasn't replied and it's been over a month.

I literally NEVER got a call back and couldn't get a hold of him. I don't know if he was remote somewhere with the 1800 number or at the Renton store or what. Guy was the first one to call me to tell me about the delivery and short notice and said that he saw on the account that I had a trade quote that needed to be completed and then my financing and I only had a couple days to do it. Gave me his number and asked I return his call as quick as possible so he could get those things taken care of so I could take delivery.

Then nothing... maybe he died?

He still hasn't replied and it's been over a month.

I literally NEVER got a call back and couldn't get a hold of him. I don't know if he was remote somewhere with the 1800 number or at the Renton store or what. Guy was the first one to call me to tell me about the delivery and short notice and said that he saw on the account that I had a trade quote that needed to be completed and then my financing and I only had a couple days to do it. Gave me his number and asked I return his call as quick as possible so he could get those things taken care of so I could take delivery.

Then nothing... maybe he died?
Most likely he quit or fired/laid off.

Tesla provides the car, it’s up to you to pay for it. If you don’t have cash and have to arrange financing, that’s up to you. If you want to trade in your old car as partial payment, that’s up to you as well. You have to make those arrangements. If you turn over your car, it’s up to you to remove everything that’s yours from the car including personal items and your tags. The 3 days to finalize your payment arrangement and take the car was specified in advance. Your arrangements with any bank or finance company is between you and the company loaning you the money, it has nothing to do with Tesla. That’s unless Tesla is providing the financing.

It’s up to Tesla to provide the new car. At the time you do the paperwork and all payment is done, it’s up to Tesla to hand over the keys and the new car to you, then it’s up to Tesla to provide warranty coverage for the specified duration. It you find things that are wrong with the car, covered by warranty, it’s up to Tesla to provide repairs.

A car company will usually submit the paperwork to the state to arrange the title transfer to you.

You should not blame a car company for issues on your side of the purchase. They provide the new car, you provide payment for it. If it’s a 3 day window, it’s up to you to make sure you can comply with that time window. If you need a longer time, you can try to negotiate a longer window but it’s up to them whether or not to grant it.

I’ve been buying cars for half a century now. Nothing has changed nor should it. Furthermore it’s up to you to read the paperwork you sign. It’s no good signing that you agree to something if you have no idea what it is you agreed to. That paperwork with your signature is binding. If there’s something to which you don’t agree, write that on the document you are signing. If you feel rushed, take a big breath and realize the rush is on the other side of the table, not yours. You have the right to read every word on every paper. If you don’t, it can come back later and bite you, and there’s no one else to blame, they provided the information to you.

None of this is mean as a rebuke, it’s just to clarify what your obligations are when you enter into the purchase.

Further:
The car should be clean and dry when you inspect it. Never buy a wet car, paint flaws cannot be seen in the rain. If you see flaws, take a picture so you can show those flaws were there when you accepted the car. I’d insist that corrections be made before I accepted the car, the money you have is everything. Once you hand that money over, your leverage is gone.

Good luck.

Tesla provides the car, it’s up to you to pay for it. If you don’t have cash and have to arrange financing, that’s up to you. If you want to trade in your old car as partial payment, that’s up to you as well. You have to make those arrangements. If you turn over your car, it’s up to you to remove everything that’s yours from the car including personal items and your tags. The 3 days to finalize your payment arrangement and take the car was specified in advance. Your arrangements with any bank or finance company is between you and the company loaning you the money, it has nothing to do with Tesla. That’s unless Tesla is providing the financing.

It’s up to Tesla to provide the new car. At the time you do the paperwork and all payment is done, it’s up to Tesla to hand over the keys and the new car to you, then it’s up to Tesla to provide warranty coverage for the specified duration. It you find things that are wrong with the car, covered by warranty, it’s up to Tesla to provide repairs.

A car company will usually submit the paperwork to the state to arrange the title transfer to you.

You should not blame a car company for issues on your side of the purchase. They provide the new car, you provide payment for it. If it’s a 3 day window, it’s up to you to make sure you can comply with that time window. If you need a longer time, you can try to negotiate a longer window but it’s up to them whether or not to grant it.

I’ve been buying cars for half a century now. Nothing has changed nor should it. Furthermore it’s up to you to read the paperwork you sign. It’s no good signing that you agree to something if you have no idea what it is you agreed to. That paperwork with your signature is binding. If there’s something to which you don’t agree, write that on the document you are signing. If you feel rushed, take a big breath and realize the rush is on the other side of the table, not yours. You have the right to read every word on every paper. If you don’t, it can come back later and bite you, and there’s no one else to blame, they provided the information to you.

None of this is mean as a rebuke, it’s just to clarify what your obligations are when you enter into the purchase.

Further:
The car should be clean and dry when you inspect it. Never buy a wet car, paint flaws cannot be seen in the rain. If you see flaws, take a picture so you can show those flaws were there when you accepted the car. I’d insist that corrections be made before I accepted the car, the money you have is everything. Once you hand that money over, your leverage is gone.

Good luck.

Tesla told me the car was coming sometime in mid Oct to mid Dec.... So they were almost 2 months early. I kind of feel like I should have had 2 months + three days to get the financing done...

Anyway, it's not about per the written document who should be responsible about what, it's about doing a great job or not. Maybe per the technical documents Tesla was absolutely right with everything they did... did it result in a terrible buying experience, yes. That's the big take away. Tesla isn't in their first year or two. They're not selling to huge early adopter nerds that have been waiting three years for a car. They're starting to sell to Joe across the road that has never owned an EV before, never bought a car online, never financed themselves, etc. Will Joe tell his coworkers at work to buy a Tesla, or will he be like "Man, stay away from that, it was a mess! The car is good, but wow it's not worth it, just go over to the VW dealer and buy their EV."

That's my big takeaway with this.

I read the documents. There wasn't a check list for removing the plates on my car. They require basically full payment BEFORE you pick the car up, so kinda the power is in Tesla's hands (at least it feels that way). I guess I could have held a check in my hand, but Tesla wouldn't wait long enough for that and literally the only way I could have snagged this car was with a wire transfer, which Tesla actually didn't know how to handle and the told me "we never do these, that's why the system isn't really set up for it" yet on their 3rd party lender document help sheet it actually says wire transfer is *preferred* by Tesla...

Again, first year they're selling the car, fine whatever. But we're years down the road. They're so close to actually being fully digital and not needing to talk to someone if they just got a few more things right.

Wire transfers should work perfectly. Tesla should consider those as a payment towards the cost of the car. Whatever bug in the system that caused the payment to show but not actually deduct from the amount due should be fixed.

There should be a little reminder in the app when dropping off a trade. Just a few simple questions that require a physical tap to acknowledge.
"Please remove all personal items from the vehicle you are trading in" (tap to accept that)
"You have elected to transfer your plates to your new car, please remove them from you trade in vehicle" (tap to accept that)
"Your trade in vehicle is a Tesla, please reset it to factory defaults (link to video instructions)" (tap to accept)

Something simple like that would have avoided my issue and likely smooth the process out for others that don't buy/sell dozens of cars.

Tesla absolutely changed the buying experience and I'm very happy for that.... but they still can't nail it, just like they can't nail the panel gaps and QC on the cars. I want them to be the best and they are so close to being that... but third time for me and still major bugs in the buying process. Would my mom be able to navigate that stuff? Likely not, I probably would send her to a traditional used lot to get a Tesla or tell her to get a different brand. It shouldn't be like that...

It could have gone more smoothly for you. Tesla could have provided you with a checklist for your trade in. I don’t think most people need the checklist though.

You will be much better prepared when you next buy a car. Expect nothing and you’ll be prepared for anything.

I’ve probably done everything wrong which makes me much better prepared now. My parents bought a station wagon once and found out not much later that the transmission had been filled with sawdust. It was a used car and they had to shop for the older used cars. Still, they believed what they were told. And that purchase for them was just as important to them then as my Tesla purchase was for me five years ago, perhaps much more so, because I could weather a complete loss of that magnitude while they could not. My parents are long gone now. It wasn’t their intention but some of the lessons they learned also taught me.

I’m sorry this didn’t go as pleasantly as you’d have liked. I’m sure it could have been worse, can’t think how but there’s always a worse.

You have a great car. Overall it doesn’t get better than that. The difficulties with this purchase are behind you now. I hope you can now let them go and enjoy your new car. In a year you’ll still have that great car and the purchase difficulties will be a fading memory. The faster you can get to the enjoyment part, the better.

Good luck my friend.
David

Absolutely have a great car, that’s why it’s my 3rd Tesla… keep working my way up the ranks 🤣

It’s just so frustrating that the buying experience isn’t smoother. I would be totally fine with 100% hands off if they had great documentation and step by step guides, which they do seem to for the major parts (order car, “get financing”, request trade quote, pick up new car). Just each sub step doesn’t have much info past that and if things go wrong.. well they’re a little too hands off.

I guess things bugs me even more because I want Tesla to nail it. I want to burst into fits of laughter when a traditional dealer tells me they have a much better buying experience but instead I sheepishly have to say “yeah, they still need a lot of improvement.”