Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is testing new tail lights for the Model S refresh.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw this on twitter from "Michael Hsu". He posted what seems to be an updated model S that no longer has that stupid strip connecting the tail lights together. This is what I've always wanted for a more cleaner look. Hopefully these go into production before my delivery. Here's to being hopeful.
Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 10.47.12 AM.jpg

Just saw this on twitter from "Michael Hsu". He posted what seems to be an updated model S that no longer has that stupid strip connecting the tail lights together. This is what I've always wanted for a more cleaner look. Hopefully these go into production before my delivery. Here's to being hopeful.
View attachment 742786
95% of the world couldn't tell the difference between a Model S and Model 3, and now 99% of the world won't be able to.

Seems like a cost-cutting measure, not an improvement.

For all those (myself included) that think the headlights and tail lights on the new S are crap (because they are), - Tesla is testing new tail lights. One can assume they probably are testing new headlights, too.

Anyway, from the Fremont test track.

Also, here's a rear view. I'm not saying I'm jealous..., but I'm jealous. Note: These are unlikely to be able to be retrofit because of the black trim we have going across the rear into the tail lights.

Attachments

• 2uys7OB.jpg
    2uys7OB.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 342
For all those (myself included) that think the headlights and tail lights on the new S are crap (because they are), - Tesla is testing new tail lights. One can assume they probably are testing new headlights, too.

Also, here's a rear view. I'm not saying I'm jealous..., but I'm jealous. Note: These are unlikely to be able to be retrofit because of the black trim we have going across the rear into the tail lights.
DATASS.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: kavyboy
View attachment 742786
Not to derail the thread (that's clearly a black interior!) but something about that photo looks suspect. There's a shadow or at least dark line between where the plastic strip was and the part above.

Thread already on this in the correct area of the site:

Not to derail the thread (that's clearly a black interior!) but something about that photo looks suspect. There's a shadow or at least dark line between where the plastic strip was and the part above.
Hmm can't seem to edit posts anymore. Anyway, I just realized this is the car at the start and end of the CT testing video. Thought it was strange seeing an S with light silver wheels.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
That rear light cluster is definitely different. Look at the left side of it. The red reflector runs full length. The current one stops about half way from the front. The clear sections are different too.
Oh yeah it's completely different. The lights themselves resemble the MX diffused look, but ditch the horizontal bar running between. SOOO in love with this!

Reactions: planetary
I'd love to switch them too, but I bet you it's not that simple. Looks like the charge port is different. I've not tried to remove any of the light clusters but my S looks like it's a separate piece. It's unclear from photo how the charge port has changed.

I wonder how long it will take for these changes to make it into delivered vehicles? Six months? I’m sure they want to use up all the old “crap,” before rolling this change in.

Wonder what other manufacturing or component improvements may be getting rolled in as well? Thoughts? Discussion.

Reactions: planetary and onshi

This would check off one item on my wish list for the 2023 model year because I plan to order a Plaid in Dec. 2022. The current styling where the trunk trim “penetrates” into the tail light has aged badly imo. This looks much better.

Reactions: Cheburashka