Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is testing new tail lights for the Model S refresh.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can almost bet 100% that the new headlights won't be easily retrofitted. Matrix headlights always have different wiring harnesses since they have the ability to dim portions of their beams which none of the current headlights have the ability to do so

Reactions: gbailey
I can almost bet 100% that the new headlights won't be easily retrofitted. Matrix headlights always have different wiring harnesses since they have the ability to dim portions of their beams which none of the current headlights have the ability to do so
I'm not as convinced. The current lights control their own functions internally. Pretty sure connections into the lights are constant 12V power, ground, blinker sync, and LIN for control, as of my 2020 S anyway. Computer sends commands & the lights receive and execute. Seems possible, even likely that it would keep the same wiring and control architecture with a future software update enabling any matrix type features. However, it might need a config change via service to tell the computer which lights are installed if we did retrofit.

I'm not as convinced. The current lights control their own functions internally. Pretty sure connections into the lights are constant 12V power, ground, blinker sync, and LIN for control, as of my 2020 S anyway. Computer sends commands & the lights receive and execute. Seems possible, even likely that it would keep the same wiring and control architecture with a future software update enabling any matrix type features. However, it might need a config change via service to tell the computer which lights are installed if we did retrofit.
The reason why I am so confident because in the Audi forums I am in a lot of owners want the same thing, which is to upgrade their non matrix headlights to matrix ones. Its a huge feat since you usually need new modules, wiring, coding and obviously new headlights. Not saying Tesla is the same but as of now the current headlights do not allow for individual diming of portions of the high beam, you can simply tell by the beam pattern of these headlights. The Model 3 beam pattern on the matrix headlights are totally different than the ones without. Plus the current headlights are so dim that even if they somehow had the ability to have matrix functionality it would barely be noticeable.

The reason why I am so confident because in the Audi forums I am in a lot of owners want the same thing, which is to upgrade their non matrix headlights to matrix ones. Its a huge feat since you usually need new modules, wiring, coding and obviously new headlights. Not saying Tesla is the same but as of now the current headlights do not allow for individual diming of portions of the high beam, you can simply tell by the beam pattern of these headlights. The Model 3 beam pattern on the matrix headlights are totally different than the ones without. Plus the current headlights are so dim that even if they somehow had the ability to have matrix functionality it would barely be noticeable.
Yeah no way the current MS lights have some hidden functionality even up through rev G. I was talking ease of retrofit if or when these new lights are stocked.

My point was that tesla does a lot by distributed modules at the end points w/ commands via bus... and they have everything they would need in the current harness and the modules are in the lights. They could definitely drive Matrix patterns over the digital bus lines, so there wouldn't be a need to change the wiring. Retrofit could be a light swap & re-code. $$$ and help from the service center at a minimum.

I can't understand how, in this day and age, that there are no more pictures of the updated headlights/taillights of the Model S in Taiwan. Anyone find anything better?
Apparently they covered the Model S after the pictures got out and it remained covered for the rest of the event. As I'm expecting delivery of a new S soon, I'll be squinting at recent fremont flyovers.

Reactions: scrapps
Yeah no way the current MS lights have some hidden functionality even up through rev G. I was talking ease of retrofit if or when these new lights are stocked.

My point was that tesla does a lot by distributed modules at the end points w/ commands via bus... and they have everything they would need in the current harness and the modules are in the lights. They could definitely drive Matrix patterns over the digital bus lines, so there wouldn't be a need to change the wiring. Retrofit could be a light swap & re-code. $$$ and help from the service center at a minimum.

Apparently they covered the Model S after the pictures got out and it remained covered for the rest of the event. As I'm expecting delivery of a new S soon, I'll be squinting at recent fremont flyovers.
It's not even that the car got covered. What's hard to understand is how the very first pictures couldn't just be clear and have better angles for the back.

This is the second time I've seen pictures of the new tail lights and both have been from a distance and just a couple pixels better than potato 😂

Hopefully, somebody gets a couple good pictures in the next attempt or we'll just have to wait until some users get these changes on their vehicles

If current (and older) Model S use LIN then it’s entirely possible the headlights are physically plug and play, assuming they haven’t changed their strategy on control/protocol/bus etc. Doesn’t matter what the current headlights can or can’t do so long as they are using the same control protocol/bus as the new headlights.

But software coding… I have to think that’s very locked down.

7DE0E7C8-8E76-4863-904F-97FFC5FE62C5.jpeg
22765876-47FD-41E1-B9C6-5173D0F68B91.jpeg

Are these the new headlights with the black trim? If not I wanna see how I can add the trim to blackout the chrome..

View attachment 766782View attachment 766783
Are these the new headlights with the black trim? If not I wanna see how I can add the trim to blackout the chrome..
These are not the new headlights. To black out the trim your gonna have to remove the headlights and heat up the adhesive around the lens and pry the lens off, dissemble the pieces inside and paint them. Then reseal hoping that it’s done correctly. I’d recommend doing it on a spare set of lights

These are not the new headlights. To black out the trim your gonna have to remove the headlights and heat up the adhesive around the lens and pry the lens off, dissemble the pieces inside and paint them. Then reseal hoping that it’s done correctly. I’d recommend doing it on a spare set of lights
I doubt one of us that paid $90k plus have done this to our cars lol I was thinking along the lines of black vinyl on the exterior lens like the taillights have been done in the past.