Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is trying to prevent CPO-cars cross border sales in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matias

Apr 2, 2014
Finland
I met in FB a finnish guy, who tried to buy CPO car from Tesla Germany. They refused to sell the car to him, because he doesn't live in Germany. They told that "we have different pricing in different countries and obviously we could not support this model, if anyone could buy freely our cars".

Yes. But they are obviously trying to protect the CPO price differences in different countries. CPO:s are clearly more expensive in Finland than in Germany.

Of course you can buy used Teslas from third parties without problems.

Yes. But they are obviously trying to protect the CPO price differences in different countries. CPO:s are clearly more expensive in Finland than in Germany.

Of course you can buy used Teslas from third parties without problems.

Usually in Finland the import taxes + import effort fill in for the difference. Hell, just register in germany and switch plates later.

Usually in Finland the import taxes + import effort fill in for the difference. Hell, just register in germany and switch plates later.

As i'm a Finn, I'm very familiar with the finnish car taxation system :D

If you import a used car from EU-area, you don't need to pay VAT or import tax. You need to pay car sales tax, which is 3.8% this year. This is the only tax you need to pay. Price differense is about 40 %!

If you import a used car from EU-area, you don't need to pay VAT or import tax. You need to pay car sales tax, which is 3.8% this year. This is the only tax you need to pay. Price differense is about 40 %!

Yeah, I just bundled all as "import tax" =) 40% difference is insane! Would make sense to reg as german first and then to fi if Tesla does not allow otherwise.

Yeah, one more downside of the non-dealership model. The centralized control of the sales channel really has many downsides. Absolute power and so forth...

You can buy used cars for other brands from official dealerships/stores in other countries, but not with Tesla.

Lack of competition as well as central control/coordination between Tesla stores can lead to adverse effects for the consumer compared with traditional dealerships, where competition between dealerships exists.

The entire European used car market is based on the free flow of cars from other countries (perhaps with the exception of Britain for obvious reasons). But not so with Tesla...