Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is updating in car internet browers with Chromium.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much anything would be an improvement over the existing browser. It's spotty at best when parked, basically non working at all if moving (ie if a passenger is using it). Even if I thether my phone to the car it doesn't improve, so it's not cell signal related but car/cpu related. Hope this improves things.

Nothing Canada specific about this. This should be moved elsewhere.

Dude you kill me. Why do you care? I mean he's Canadian, and he felt like posting it here! Good enough! The fact you take time out of your busy schedule to complain about it absolutely kills me! Do you put a mint on top of your pillow every morning after making your bed?

The web browsing experience in the car is absolute trash when you compare it to the Google Maps experience.
Actually Tesla hasn’t been using Google maps data for majority of the maps experience for a while now. For example, live traffic data is determined by people giving Tesla permission to collect data for it which can be turned off in the settings. The google logo is still there for some odd reason though

• Informative
Reactions: BBone
Dude you kill me. Why do you care? I mean he's Canadian, and he felt like posting it here! Good enough! The fact you take time out of your busy schedule to complain about it absolutely kills me! Do you put a mint on top of your pillow every morning after making your bed?

This area of TMC should focus on Canada specific items. rypalmer is correct in that this thread should be universal and not in the Canadian specific forum.

This area of TMC should focus on Canada specific items. rypalmer is correct in that this thread should be universal and not in the Canadian specific forum.
Is it a place for Canada specific issues only (rhetorical question)? If so, then there are a tonne of threads that don't belong here...

Why can't it also be for Canadian owners to talk? To me, this is fine to post here since it's more or less the same folks chatting, and it's nice to have familiar faces sharing thoughts and ideas.

Actually Tesla hasn’t been using Google maps data for majority of the maps experience for a while now. For example, live traffic data is determined by people giving Tesla permission to collect data for it which can be turned off in the settings. The google logo is still there for some odd reason though

I'm pretty sure they're still using google maps data in some form or another. The live traffic data can't exclusively from other Tesla's as not every Tesla will be driving every road in your area all at the exact moment you are looking at your map in your car. Plus the traffic data is identical to the one seen on your phone.

Reactions: mrElbe and Tz00
I'm pretty sure they're still using google maps data in some form or another. The live traffic data can't exclusively from other Tesla's as not every Tesla will be driving every road in your area all at the exact moment you are looking at your map in your car. Plus the traffic data is identical to the one seen on your phone.
The entire point of the fleet communicating with each other is to have less dependancies on other services. There was an article about it a while ago where Tesla is basically crowd funding their data like Waze.

Edit: Found the article and it says Tesla will use data gathered from company’s partners and it’s own fleet for now, slowly switching exclusively to data collected by Teslas. That article was published April 2018. Pretty sure they barely rely on others now.

The entire point of the fleet communicating with each other is to have less dependancies on other services. There was an article about it a while ago where Tesla is basically crowd funding their data like Waze.

Edit: Found the article and it says Tesla will use data gathered from company’s partners and it’s own fleet for now, slowly switching exclusively to data collected by Teslas. That article was published April 2018. Pretty sure they barely rely on others now.

I assume you are referring to this post:

Tesla releases new Waze-like crowdsourced traffic data with latest navigation update

That was referring to the Model S and X which didn't have traffic data in their navigation up to that point. They were using Navigon map and traffic data in the S and X before V9 rolled out for the 3, S, and X. V9 unified the navigation data to use Google Maps and that's why you have the Google icon on your navigation display. However, what Google doesn't allow you to do is use their API to get directions from point A to point B. For that Tesla apparently uses a custom solution from a company called MapBox. So that's probably where you are confused.

• Disagree
Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
I assume you are referring to this post:

Tesla releases new Waze-like crowdsourced traffic data with latest navigation update

That was referring to the Model S and X which didn't have traffic data in their navigation up to that point. They were using Navigon map and traffic data in the S and X before V9 rolled out for the 3, S, and X. V9 unified the navigation data to use Google Maps and that's why you have the Google icon on your navigation display. However, what Google doesn't allow you to do is use their API to get directions from point A to point B. For that Tesla apparently uses a custom solution from a company called MapBox. So that's probably where you are confused.
Sadly you’re mistaken. Read the article again. V9 didn’t unify the map, it unified the entire user interface. All cars have been using this crowd sourced data since 2018.14 at least. It clearly states that Tesla will share their information with partners that contribute similar data. You have it reversed, Google’s advantage is real time traffic not navigating maps. Do you have any idea how many companies have navigation? What they lack is the users to crowd fund the traffic. Not saying others are at the same level as Google Navigation though.

Right out of the article you provided: “..what is most interesting is that the data is crowdsourced from Tesla’s fleet of vehicles.”

Sadly you’re mistaken. Read the article again. V9 didn’t unify the map, it unified the entire user interface. All cars have been using this crowd sourced data since 2018.14 at least. It clearly states that Tesla will share their information with partners that contribute similar data. You have it reversed, Google’s advantage is real time traffic not navigating maps. Do you have any idea how many companies have navigation? What they lack is the users to crowd fund the traffic. Not saying others are at the same level as Google Navigation though.

Right out of the article you provided: “..what is most interesting is that the data is crowdsourced from Tesla’s fleet of vehicles.”

You don't have to believe what I say, you can see for your own eyes:

Hell, it even says "Map Data (c) 2018 Google" in the bottom right hand corner.

Yes. And consider the alternative: every regional group having needless parallel discussions about exact the same thing. Just looking to improve the signal to noise ratio in here. Many newcomers may not realize this.