Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Issues Recall for Model X Steering Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla is recalling 15,000 Model X SUVs, citing a problem with the power steering that could increase the risk of a crash. This recall applies to most Model X vehicles built before mid-October 2016. Model X vehicles built after mid-October 2016 are not affected.

Tesla posted a note on its website addressing the recall:

We are not aware of any injuries or collisions relating to the power steering component. However, we have observed excessive corrosion on the bolts that attach this component to the steering gear in affected Model X vehicles. This corrosion has been observed primarily in very cold climates that use calcium or magnesium road salts rather than sodium chloride (table salt). If the bolts fracture from corrosion, the driver may lose power steering assist. This would not prevent the driver from steering the vehicle, but it would require more force to turn the steering wheel, especially during low speed parking maneuvers when power steering assist is at its highest use. Power steering assist decreases with increasing speed, so the driver may not notice a need for more steering force at highway speeds.

Tesla said there is no immediate action for Model X owners and they may continue to drive their car. Tesla will replace the bolts and apply a corrosion-preventative sealer in all affected Model X vehicles to account for the possibility that any vehicle may later be used in a cold, highly corrosive environment. The service will be free of charge.

If Tesla finds broken bolts they intend to replace the steering gear free of charge. Tesla said it will contact owners to schedule a service appointment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we know it is the same part. X is a heavier vehicle so even an updated part could fail since the amount of mass moved is higher.

Also, anyone wonder if this type of failure will increase with the addition of cart racing video games controlled by turning the steering wheel at stop.
Interesting point. I’d guess steering loads are about the same on the two cars so there is little weight difference on the front of the car but we would need to compare steering rack part numbers (and bolt part numbers) to be sure. The original issue was that they did change the parts out on the X or alter something at some point in time since the recall isn’t up to present day. So, if it was needed to alter the design, why not retrofit at that time?

Most of the cars doing the games at Model 3s,
I think also. I’ve personally never even tried using the steering knowing it would be so much micro movements to the steering. :F Got s controller for that.

My power steering stopped working on my 2016 Model X. It is probably because of these bolts breaking. Anyone else had to deal with this recall?
Let me ask you to try and narrow it down. Did it get harder and harder to turn the wheel over the course of a few days/weeks? Or did it happen all at one time? How do you know it's the Power Steering and not something else? Have you had it in service already? I'd be surprised if the recall wasn't already done at this point. The recall was 3 years ago.

Let me ask you to try and narrow it down. Did it get harder and harder to turn the wheel over the course of a few days/weeks? Or did it happen all at one time? How do you know it's the Power Steering and not something else? Have you had it in service already? I'd be surprised if the recall wasn't already done at this point. The recall was 3 years ago.
I had not driven the car for about 4 days and when I went to drive it out of the garage it felt like the steering was fighting me while making a weird electronic sound and gave me the error message "steering assist reduced/Steering may require increased effort." Since my car is out of warranty, I called a garage that specializes in fixing Teslas that is not run by Tesla and they were so confident that I needed to replace the the steering rack, they were ready for me to buy the steering rack and rods without them even seeing the car. But when I mentioned the recall, they thought it could be that and I should get it checked out. When I looked up on Tesla's site which voluntary recalls had not been performed this is one of the ones that showed up.

I had not driven the car for about 4 days and when I went to drive it out of the garage it felt like the steering was fighting me while making a weird electronic sound and gave me the error message "steering assist reduced/Steering may require increased effort." Since my car is out of warranty, I called a garage that specializes in fixing Teslas that is not run by Tesla and they were so confident that I needed to replace the the steering rack, they were ready for me to buy the steering rack and rods without them even seeing the car. But when I mentioned the recall, they thought it could be that and I should get it checked out. When I looked up on Tesla's site which voluntary recalls had not been performed this is one of the ones that showed up.

Nope, it is just difficult all the time
Yep, sounds like the bolt issue. Definitely worth giving Tesla a call. From my limited reading, recalls don't expire.

Yep, sounds like the bolt issue. Definitely worth giving Tesla a call. From my limited reading, recalls don't expire.
Not able to get anyone on the phone, so I just set up an appointment in the app and will discuss it with them via messaging in app. 1 week before they have an opening. And if they have to replace the steering rack which is likely probably at least another week for the parts to arrive. Service continues to be the achilles heel of the Tesla ownership experience.

Not able to get anyone on the phone, so I just set up an appointment in the app and will discuss it with them via messaging in app. 1 week before they have an opening. And if they have to replace the steering rack which is likely probably at least another week for the parts to arrive. Service continues to be the achilles heel of the Tesla ownership experience.
Well... service may have issues, but the fix for this recall has been available for almost two years. Theoretically, owners should have recieved an e-mail alert in 2020 and an in-app alert after that when the parts were available.

Well... service may have issues, but the fix for this recall has been available for almost two years. Theoretically, owners should have recieved an e-mail alert in 2020 and an in-app alert after that when the parts were available.
You are right. I did get an email. I guess I figured I would get it fixed the next time I went in for service, but have not been in for service for years because of the 100 mile drive and sometimes long waits for parts. But, in the meantime I forgot all about it until now.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo