Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla/J1772 adapter available from Tesla's website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the Oakland Airport's event to announce their new charge stations just this morning. A Tesla rep was there who had their adapter. She said the adapters are built by hand, for now at least. That's the problem with the back order. They are really being built on demand and right now there is a lot of demand. I'm writing this from the Menlo Park service center as I get that firmware fix and new tires.

I was at the Oakland Airport's event to announce their new charge stations just this morning. A Tesla rep was there who had their adapter. She said the adapters are built by hand, for now at least. That's the problem with the back order. They are really being built on demand and right now there is a lot of demand. I'm writing this from the Menlo Park service center as I get that firmware fix and new tires.

Most cables are built by hand ... really not worth automating unless there is high enough volume to put in the money necessary for automation. My understanding is that they're running about 2 cables/day (assembling, testing, packaging).

Well, I got an e-mail saying I'd have to pay the mobile Ranger fee ($920 in my case) to get the firmware update since it's a non-warranty repair. They're not willing to split the cost of the trip among all the owners in the area who need the firmware update either. Is there anyway to update the firmware yourself (that Tesla oks) or for them to do it via GSM?

Well, I got an e-mail saying I'd have to pay the mobile Ranger fee ($920 in my case) to get the firmware update since it's a non-warranty repair. They're not willing to split the cost of the trip among all the owners in the area who need the firmware update either. Is there anyway to update the firmware yourself (that Tesla oks) or for them to do it via GSM?

That worries me that Tesla is unwilling to offer the firmware update at N/C or at the least, shared the cost among several owners in the area. Tesla needs to establish a reputation as a company that looks after its customers, I don't think this is the way to go about doing it. By way of example, I had to replace a catalytic converter that was 5k miles out of warranty. Honda, though legally not required to do so, paid all costs and marked the bill as "customer goodwill". Don't think I didn't recommend them to my friends, I was very impressed.

I agree. At least put 'Ranger fee may apply for firmware update' on the Tesla Store page that sells the adapter. It never occurred to me I'd have to pay more than the cost of the adapter just to get the firmware that lets it work.

I agree. At least put 'Ranger fee may apply for firmware update' on the Tesla Store page that sells the adapter. It never occurred to me I'd have to pay more than the cost of the adapter just to get the firmware that lets it work.
Yeah, that part is ridiculous. This is really something that should just work out of the box. (What is the point of standards again?) Having to carrying around an expensive adapter is a compromise to begin with. How much would you expect a J1772 upgrade to the inlet would cost? I'd bet the parts at least would be cheaper than this adapter.

why don't they just send a USB stick with the update on it and an automatic install procedure kind of like on cameras when one does firmware upgrades on them.......... then people who live far away from their dealer do not need to worry and can just make sure the adapter works........

why don't they just send a USB stick with the update on it and an automatic install procedure kind of like on cameras when one does firmware upgrades on them.......... then people who live far away from their dealer do not need to worry and can just make sure the adapter works........

I just had the firmware updated on my roadster. Looked like quite a bit of messing around with a laptop, adaptor cables and ODB ports.

yes I am sure they have not set it up that way but I am also pretty shore with some effort from the programers this could be a feasible solution to future firmware upgrades......... at least for the model S and beyond......... it would just be so much simpler for everyone involved and reduce the need to a vastly expanded service establishment base when more models come to market.