Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla J1772 to Tesla adapter price went up to $127 (Edit: oops, that is the Canadian $ price)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I thought these were a rip off when they were like $90. $127 is insane for what it is (and it is a wear item since bad public charging stations have been damaging them). It is just a hunk of plastic and metal.

The cynical part in me wonders if this is to protect the Tesla ecosystem and discourage folks from buying J1772 chargers at home and just keeping an adapter permanently on them.

Perhaps the non-cynical answer could be that Tesla is having a supply shortage and so they are temporarily increasing the price to keep folks that don’t really need a spare from burning through their stock?

I personally would love a spare...

SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

I wonder if it would be legal for third parties to make them? Does Tesla have patents on their connector design?

Indeed. I've found on some machines, often my Google searches to stuff on tesla.com get sent to a Canadian page instead of US page.
Still though, $95 is kind of expensive for what it is.
Although it's certainly not cheap, I don't feel it's that expensive considering it's got connectors on both ends and if you compare it to the price of quality J1772 handles.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Indeed. I've found on some machines, often my Google searches to stuff on tesla.com get sent to a Canadian page instead of US page.

Although it's certainly not cheap, I don't feel it's that expensive considering it's got connectors on both ends and if you compare it to the price of quality J1772 handles.

Ahh, good point. We may be paying a huge J1772 tax on this (licensing). My understanding is that is why J1772 is so expensive.

Tesla owns the IP on their connector, so the cost is just the metal and the injection molding.

Reactions: APotatoGod