Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Joins Group Pushing for 100% EV Sales by 2030

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has joined other companies in the electric vehicle industry for a new lobbying organization called the Zero Emission Transportation Association. 

The organization, which includes other electric automakers like Rivian and Lucid, aims to bring together those who support meeting the goal of 100% electric vehicle sales by 2030. The non-partisan group coordinates public education efforts and federal policy development to promote EV adoption with the goal of creating American electric vehicle manufacturing jobs, better-serving consumers, improving air quality and public health, and significantly reducing carbon pollution.

ZETA is calling for five key policy pillars that can, in aggregate, put America on the pathway to full EV adoption by 2030:

1. Outcome-driven consumer EV incentives. Point-of-sale consumer incentives drive adoption, provide cost reductions and achieve real results in pushing transportation electrification. In addition, incentivizing early retirements while encouraging EV adoption will speed the transition and meet the urgency of the moment.2. Emissions / performance standards enabling full electrification by 2030. Emission targets are a key piece of protecting public health and sending the correct market signals to support and accelerate the transition to zero emission transportation.3. Infrastructure investments. Strong federal charging infrastructure investments will drive the electric transportation transition and ensure that the United States is leading the way in a clean recovery where everyone is better off.4. Domestic manufacturing. We should not only accelerate U.S. transportation electrification, but also work to ensure that we secure domestic economic growth and leadership in EV manufacturing. Federal policies must encourage job creation and economic activity across the entire EV supply chain and lifecycle, from critical materials to vehicles.5. Federal leadership and cooperation with sub-national entities. Federal support should invest in research and development, provide an aligned vision for electrification, and ensure local leaders are empowered with the expertise and resources to support full vehicle electrification.

Founding members include:

ABBAlbemarle CorporationArrivalChargePoint ConEdison Copper Development Association, Inc.Duke Energy Edison InternationalEnel X EVBox EVgo IoneerLi-Cycle Lordstown Motors Lucid Motors Piedmont LithiumPG&E CorporationProterraRedwood MaterialsRivianSiemensSouthern CompanySRPTeslaVistraVoltaUberWAVE

“For the first time in a generation, transportation is the leading emitter of U.S. carbon emissions.  By embracing EVs, federal policymakers can help drive innovation, create hundreds of thousands of new jobs and improve air quality and public health,” Joe Britton, Executive Director of ZETA, said in a release. “ZETA’s formation recognizes a pivotal moment for national leadership and reflects the will of the growing clean transportation sector.”

Image: Zeta2030

Last edited by a moderator:
This is good news, though we can do better. How about 100% EV new car sales by the end of 2022? Tesla could help accomplish this today by making entry level 150 - 170 mile versions of the Model Y and Model 3. With other cost savings they might be able to get to a $19,000 price point or less for that. Lower prices should mean more EV sales. Also, additional government incentives and mandates would help significantly.

We need to act quickly. 2020 has seen the most active hurricane season on record, with 31 named storms as of today. Also multiple areas have been devastated by fires and other disasters. The science is there, generally linking CO2 emissions to events like these. For those who don't believe the science, putting out extreme amounts of CO2 (billions of tons) from ICE cars and fossil fuel power plants, plus other sources, is an experiment - a potentially devastating one. It's a challenge and one that EVs along with solar, wind, hydro and geothermal power plus battery storage can help solve.

What is most telling is who is NOT on the list. ZERO, NADA existing legacy auto manufacturers. Tells the real story, when the company that killed its electric car twice (EV-1 and Volt) flaps their lips and says they are ALL-IN on an electric future. Yeah....Right. Don't think so. So 2030 should be no problem for them to commit to but we can see through the smoke they are blowing.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
Of the five key policies, I see nothing vaguely specific about how to increase electrical power to meet these needs. Maybe they need to add a "sixth key policy". More power production plants. Nuclear? Coal? Hydroelectric? Etc. I would think this would be one of the first things addressed. All else is meaningless without it. "but I have solar on my house" is not going to get it.

Reactions: h2ofun
Of the five key policies, I see nothing vaguely specific about how to increase electrical power to meet these needs. Maybe they need to add a "sixth key policy". More power production plants. Nuclear? Coal? Hydroelectric? Etc. I would think this would be one of the first things addressed. All else is meaningless without it. "but I have solar on my house" is not going to get it.

How Biden's climate plan makes clean energy by 2035 'very doable'

The one thing I wonder about is as we transition to BEV’s where is the electricity going to come from. Just this summer PG&E had a flex alert because of the record temps and everyone had their ac on, I guess by 2035 we will have more storage and green power being produced.

Great trends Wind & Solar - cheaper/much cleaner.

With at least 2 billion existing ICE vehicles (add all the ICE two wheelers not sure we can even count them all) and when we stop ICE engine production it will take decades to impact our weather systems. Perhaps an asteroid will speed up the cooling -- or a huge volcano. Predictions are hard, especially about the future.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
Great trends Wind & Solar - cheaper/much cleaner.

With at least 2 billion existing ICE vehicles (add all the ICE two wheelers not sure we can even count them all) and when we stop ICE engine production it will take decades to impact our weather systems. Perhaps an asteroid will speed up the cooling -- or a huge volcano. Predictions are hard, especially about the future.
I prefer to predict about the past. Much easier.

That’s bullshit ! Just because a storm has a name it doesn’t mean the weather is changing !

The climate has always changed … always will. You can’t draw conclusions from a short time slot ! 😂
Nonsense .. storms are NAMED because they reach certain well-defined severity criteria. Therefore the number of named storms is a (coarse) measure of the severity of a storm season, and this can be correlated to global warming since storms are a product of energy availability in the atmosphere.

"The climate has always changed and always will" .. so what? At one point the earth was covered 100% with ice and snow for millions of years .. would that be ok for civilization? Of course not .. so why do you think the current climate change will not affect us? Your argument is meaningless.

Nonsense .. storms are NAMED because they reach certain well-defined severity criteria. Therefore the number of named storms is a (coarse) measure of the severity of a storm season, and this can be correlated to global warming since storms are a product of energy availability in the atmosphere.

"The climate has always changed and always will" .. so what? At one point the earth was covered 100% with ice and snow for millions of years .. would that be ok for civilization? Of course not .. so why do you think the current climate change will not affect us? Your argument is meaningless.
You are wrong.