Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla just announced 9% staffing cuts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a good move. By reducing spending, it will help Tesla reach profitability sooner which is so critical. Also, it's not a cut in production workers so Model 3 production will not be affected. It is just a cut in white collar jobs that are not needed. Basically, Tesla is looking at how they want to structure their departments and going "we don't need 3 directors in this department doing the job of 1 director, so let's cut 2 of them". It still sucks for the 2 employees losing their jobs, but it is necessary for the overall health of the company.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
My delivery assistant didn't do anything, their job could be a computer. The guy giving me the demo of the car didn't an okay job but nothing a bunch of videos couldn't do, better. The "contract team" that took too way long to get me my paperwork should just be a computer too. Most contracts are basic for the model 3 (right now) so I have no idea what they're doing and slowly at that. I'm sure like most companies there is a bunch of extra weight, it sucks for the people but it's a good thing for the company as a whole.

Well we could all help Tesla out right now

There are plenty of anecdotal stories on these forums of sub standard assistance or poor advice

Some of us have been around here long enough to be quite knowledgeable about Tesla ownership and the quirks surrounding their ownership and charging etc

I’d happily step up to take local electronic or face to face questions and offer advice to new owners - especially if they are unsure of using autopilot

Well we could all help Tesla out right now

There are plenty of anecdotal stories on these forums of sub standard assistance or poor advice

Some of us have been around here long enough to be quite knowledgeable about Tesla ownership and the quirks surrounding their ownership and charging etc

I’d happily step up to take local electronic or face to face questions and offer advice to new owners - especially if they are unsure of using autopilot

Cool idea. Tesla owner and fan internships to replace salaried workers in an effort to get to profitable position.

It is just a cut in white collar jobs that are not needed.

At the end of last year, Tesla reported 37,000 employees. 9% of total is a reduction of thousands. My concern is how did the company get that out of control? Normally, in a rapidly growing company, you can't hire fast enough. In contrast, Elon allowed managers to hire thousands more than they should have. That to me, is a serous management concern.

The other thing missing is where these employees are located? Solar? Auto? Corp? Reno? Sales?

At the end of last year, Tesla reported 37,000 employees. 9% of total is a reduction of thousands. My concern is how did the company get that out of control? Normally, in a rapidly growing company, you can't hire fast enough. In contrast, Elon allowed managers to hire thousands more than they should have. That to me, is a serous management concern.

The other thing missing is where these employees are located? Solar? Auto? Corp? Reno? Sales?

The big hiring happened when they hired Solar City.

Which is why I am glad that Elon came to his senses now and put the kibosh on this bad management before it was too late.

Reactions: T34ME
Is anyone worried about the feasibility of tesla long term and how that might affect the value and usability of their vehicle?
Yes! and I am also worried about the feasibility that the sun won't rise tomorrow morning which might affect the value and usability of my day!.
t113038.gif

Why does a SC need a manager and three assistant managers?
Because a lot of Tesla owners require a lot of hand holding (as witnessed by some owners here on TMC) and they demand to speak to a "manager" whether it be in the service center, customer service, delivery, or the quality of the kovfefe. One new owner was furious because Elon himself didn't call him personally to listen to his complaints.

Last edited:

You stated the problem in your own post.

Yes! and I am also worried about the feasibility that the sun won't rise tomorrow morning which might affect the value and usability of my day!.
t113038.gif

Because a lot of Tesla owners require a lot of hand holding (as witnessed by some owners here on TMC) and they demand to speak to a "manager."
Even better are the ones that think they are special because they think they are the only customer that bought a very expensive car.

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and kyne
After the Performance Review RIF which took place earlier in 2018 this new reduction in force (RIF) will number approximately 3,000. Tesla has approximately 300 service centers worldwide which means that if 10 people are RIF'ed at each service center this would satisfy the goal. I know this RIF is not that simple and it bears remembering that Tesla is expanding at the same time they are reducing employees. This is no different than any other large company - hiring and firing at the same time. Basically Tesla is letting go of certain extra job positions which enables them to add more people where they need them as they grow.

Last edited: