TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla just announced 9% staffing cuts.

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by pdx3181, Jun 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pdx3181

pdx3181 Supporting Member

#1 pdx3181, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2018
  2. pdx3181

pdx3181 Supporting Member

• Informative x 1
  3. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

It's a good move. By reducing spending, it will help Tesla reach profitability sooner which is so critical. Also, it's not a cut in production workers so Model 3 production will not be affected. It is just a cut in white collar jobs that are not needed. Basically, Tesla is looking at how they want to structure their departments and going "we don't need 3 directors in this department doing the job of 1 director, so let's cut 2 of them". It still sucks for the 2 employees losing their jobs, but it is necessary for the overall health of the company.

• Like x 1
  4. Pentium2004

Pentium2004 Member

Yeah I found this out first hand today. I placed an order for a MX on Friday with a girl that had worked at Tesla for about 5 years and now today she is gone.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. RyanDe

RyanDe Member

My delivery assistant didn't do anything, their job could be a computer. The guy giving me the demo of the car didn't an okay job but nothing a bunch of videos couldn't do, better. The "contract team" that took too way long to get me my paperwork should just be a computer too. Most contracts are basic for the model 3 (right now) so I have no idea what they're doing and slowly at that. I'm sure like most companies there is a bunch of extra weight, it sucks for the people but it's a good thing for the company as a whole.

• Like x 4
  6. Joshuak172

Joshuak172 Member

Is anyone worried about the feasibility of tesla long term and how that might affect the value and usability of their vehicle?

• Like x 1
  7. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Nope.

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. richrootes

richrootes Member

Well we could all help Tesla out right now

There are plenty of anecdotal stories on these forums of sub standard assistance or poor advice

Some of us have been around here long enough to be quite knowledgeable about Tesla ownership and the quirks surrounding their ownership and charging etc

I’d happily step up to take local electronic or face to face questions and offer advice to new owners - especially if they are unsure of using autopilot

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Cool idea. Tesla owner and fan internships to replace salaried workers in an effort to get to profitable position.

• Funny x 5
    • Disagree x 1
  10. Pentium2004

Pentium2004 Member

If they would properly train their employees they would make more money. I hate going to the SC because they never know what they are talking about and they pass you around way too much. Why does a SC need a manager and three assistant managers?

• Like x 1
  11. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

At the end of last year, Tesla reported 37,000 employees. 9% of total is a reduction of thousands. My concern is how did the company get that out of control? Normally, in a rapidly growing company, you can't hire fast enough. In contrast, Elon allowed managers to hire thousands more than they should have. That to me, is a serous management concern.

The other thing missing is where these employees are located? Solar? Auto? Corp? Reno? Sales?

12. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

The big hiring happened when they hired Solar City.

13. diplomat33

diplomat33 Member

Which is why I am glad that Elon came to his senses now and put the kibosh on this bad management before it was too late.

• Like x 1
  14. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

#14 T34ME, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Yes! and I am also worried about the feasibility that the sun won't rise tomorrow morning which might affect the value and usability of my day!. [​IMG]

Because a lot of Tesla owners require a lot of hand holding (as witnessed by some owners here on TMC) and they demand to speak to a "manager" whether it be in the service center, customer service, delivery, or the quality of the kovfefe. One new owner was furious because Elon himself didn't call him personally to listen to his complaints.

• Like x 6
    • Love x 1
  15. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

You stated the problem in your own post.

16. MerkinT3

MerkinT3 Member

I am not worried about Tesla, they have made great efforts to make sure the Model 3 I got last month stays up to date. That is why i bought Tesla Stock today.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  17. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Even better are the ones that think they are special because they think they are the only customer that bought a very expensive car.

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  18. Ticobird

Ticobird Member

#18 Ticobird, Jun 12, 2018
    After the Performance Review RIF which took place earlier in 2018 this new reduction in force (RIF) will number approximately 3,000. Tesla has approximately 300 service centers worldwide which means that if 10 people are RIF'ed at each service center this would satisfy the goal. I know this RIF is not that simple and it bears remembering that Tesla is expanding at the same time they are reducing employees. This is no different than any other large company - hiring and firing at the same time. Basically Tesla is letting go of certain extra job positions which enables them to add more people where they need them as they grow.

19. Mo City

Mo City Member

#19 Mo City, Jun 12, 2018
    Not in the slightest. All this shows me is Tesla will make tough business decisions when necessary.

I love Elon's vision of the future but it's good to see his grasp of present day reality.

20. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

That weren’t layoffs. They were performance reviews.