Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla just called to schedule my Powerwall installation...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't take this post too seriously... I don't actually need them. In fact, if I didn't have 2 saltwater tanks with lots of corals, I wouldn't even bother with them because outages are rare where I live and usually last less than an hour. Plus, net metering ensures I'd never be able to justify them based on cost savings.

Tesla keeps contacting me out of the blue to tell me they're ready to move forward only to find out it's a hurry up and wait scenario.

I ordered and waited the 4 to 6 months I expected at the time (even though I was told it would only be 2 to 3)

First it was "We know we thought we'd have them for you by now but we're ready to get the ball rolling on this. Are you sure you only want 2? Based on your consumption, 3 would probably be a better fit. Check it out and let us know what you think, but be quick... If you take too long and want three, the third will have to be installed at a later date."

Yeah, sure... Let's do 3.

A few months go by...

Next it was "We're back to making them so let's get the order finalized RIGHT NOW so we can get you on the schedule."

A few months go by...

"Quick! Sign this paperwork so we can get your interconnection application submitted."

A few months go by...

The power company starts sending messages asking for project status updates and CC's me on them...

A few weeks go by...

"Alright! Everything's set and we're ready to schedule your powerwall installation."

Great news!!! I genuinely didn't expect them so soon... I thought they wouldn't even be ready until later this year. What dates are available?

"How does.... Uhhh... Errrrr... Ummmm... September 3rd sound...?"

BWAHAHAHAH

You know it's April, right?

We had a good laugh and scheduled the install. I told him I wasn't ready anyway... It's only been a little over a year so I haven't had time to clear the spot where they're supposed to be mounted in the garage yet!

I believe it’s there for 3 years or once 4,500 people have signed up. My guess is it’s good for at least another year, I would be shocked if 4,500 people signed up that quick.

Yes, it looks like there is no immediate urgency. The incentive started about a year ago at $1,800 and it appears that only about 600 customers signed up. It looks like only a few dozen additional customers have signed up since SRP doubled the amount to $3,600 a couple of weeks ago.

You can keep watch of the counter on the SRP battery storage incentive page here every now and again just to be safe.

Your contractor needs to submit paperwork within 3 months after signing up or your reservation expires. After that your contractor has 6 months to complete the installation. My reservation expired before my PW finally arrived, and I had to re-apply. Hopefully the backlog is not as long now.