Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla just changed the competitive landscape (vs Audi/Mercedes/BMW AWD Grand Coupes).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for kicks this is the data from edmunds (the only place I could get the stats) on the distance you can go on a single tank. Note that most of these are like 18 gallons of premium fuel (yikes! Expensive!). I appreciate that it really isn't the same at all to be fueling your car everyday whereas most will be fueling up maybe once a week. But I thought it an interesting data point to add.

Range:
70D: 240
A7 Quattro: 356/554
CLS400: 422/590
640i: 370/536

85D: 270
S7 Quattro: 336/534
CLS550: 358/506
650i: 296/444

P85D: 253
RS7: 316/534
CLS63: 337/464
M6: 295/422

Except that the P85D has less power than all of them. It doesn't even come close to 691. And at 440 KW max at full charge, it would be 590 hp assuming 100% conversion. With inverter efficiency at 93%(being generous here) and AC induction motor at 90%(again being generous), the most the P85D could be making at max charge would be 493 hp. The only reason it's 0-60 is faster, and just barely over the RS7 is because it's power band is perfectly flat so it has access to all torque at all RPMs. But in a rollon from any sort of speed, the P85D loses against all of the others in that chart.

I'm not going to question what you're saying except to say that you're making up everything you state. :) Seriously though, link to some videos showing it losing to them all, if it's anything more than assertion.

Except that the P85D has less power than all of them. It doesn't even come close to 691. And at 440 KW max at full charge, it would be 590 hp assuming 100% conversion. With inverter efficiency at 93%(being generous here) and AC induction motor at 90%(again being generous), the most the P85D could be making at max charge would be 493 hp. The only reason it's 0-60 is faster, and just barely over the RS7 is because it's power band is perfectly flat so it has access to all torque at all RPMs. But in a rollon from any sort of speed, the P85D loses against all of the others in that chart.

This is just untrue. Also, with rollout (not rollon) the P85D will perform even better compared to the ICEs.

Note that most of these are like 18 gallons of premium fuel (yikes! Expensive!).
I'd just add a "uses Premium fuel" note to the ICE cars in the chart (as appropriate, as the "after incentive" is for the electric ones.)

~Alternatively, a "Miles Of Range Per Dollar" entry based on average 2014 volume of Premium Gasomoline purchased by one US Dollar. Or a Euro. Or a Martian Farthing or whatever, versus a .12c per kWh mileage. Gee, this gets more complex quickly. But I think a MPD rating would be fun to have in the chart.

Last edited:
You're missing a row on the comparison table, seating capacity.

I really don't know what the seating is for any of those other cars, and don't really care to look it up. Are they all comfortably fitting 5 adults?

Last edited:
You're missing a row on the comparison table, seating capacity.

I really don't know what the seating is for any of those other cars, and don't really care to look it up. Are they all comfortably fitting 5 adults?

They are all 4DR Sedans, so I would assume they all fit 5 adults. That was why these are specifically the cars to compare against as opposed to the 2 seaters. Now, I don't know how cramped the back is in some of these... but you could fit 5 adults in there.

I like your chart a lot. Some suggestions though:

Show torque alongside HP;
Model S is much roomier than any of those cars;
Show storage capacity.

It would be more difficult, but a 3 year ownership model that includes electric vs gas costs, maintenance projected would help.
To be transparent, you would need to add cost of installing home power to the initial ownership.

In the end, we all know though that it's not really an apples to apples comparison. More luxury in any of those cars; BUT less interior room, more noise, need to go to gas stations, chunking through those gears when accelerating, no over-the-air upgrades to your car, ... Just a completely different experience.