Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla just lost one customer, i know they dont care but i do !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because we love Tesla cars!

I know we should wait longer to resolve this but these days when our friends are losing jobs due to corona and we are spending over 100k for 2 new cars we expect at least some customer service and help.
While i was getting ready to deal for car delivery and QC issues i didnt expect our problems will start just one hour after ordering.
Me and my wife were going to purchase 2 Teslas,used ms for me and new M3 or MY for her this month.
We already sold our cars privately and will drive rentals until we buy new ones.
What surprises me is that Tesla will not communicate with me via email, just phone.
And just to be clear, this is not about money,we dont need our destination and deposit money back right now at all, that is only tip of iceberg what we are going to spend, we can wait for that,
We have enough cash to buy our cars but advice from first Tesla rep was to wait for issue to be resolved (why and why there is an issue anyway?) and repeated successive answers from Tesla that our cc WAS NOT charged and “we never charge destination fee if order is cancelled by us”.

JULY 10 ordered Used Model S

- paid order and destination fee
- credit card is charged for both immediately
- car was listed as clean , no accident
- after 2 hours received call from Tesla - they apologize , car was in accident and repaired,order is cancelled,refund will be in "few days"
- asked sales person to send me email with all that in writing - never happened!

JULY 11

- Sent email to my advisor asking how long it takes usually for refund - got same answer "few days"

July 12

- Received email from Tesla - Your trade-In offer is now ready for you to , accept or decline your offer now to ensure delivery !

July 14

- deposit and destination charge is now processed and already posted in my bank account
- Called Tesla to see what is going on, got answer they can not see ANY charge in my account , also saying it is not possible to be charged for destination fee if order is cancelled, but they will investigate.

July 15

- Got a call from Tesla used department division repeating same thing, they cant see any charge and asking me to send screen shoot from my bank account. They will investigate....

July 16

- Called used department to see if they got my email, lady said they can see now i was charged for destination and deposit, but for some reason she said no refund yet, she will investigate...., It can take up to 45 days

JULY 17

- Got tired of everything and filed claim with my credit card

To be quite frank, we've all had issues with Tesla one way or another and yes, it is a pain in the butt. At the end of the day, you are paying for the technology that Tesla has and in doing so, you suffer from a lack of customer service, QA, and QC. Unfortunately, I feel this is not going to change in the near future UNTIL there are other manufacturers that have similar capabilities and who knows when that will be.

Anyhow, sorry to hear your experience and good luck moving forward.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with Tesla's discombobulated divisions of labor. It does seem like the right hand does not understand what the left hand is doing and I cannot believe Tesla has not addressed a better workflow manager for customer related services. There was another fellah here about a year ago who was repeatedly charged ~$5K for a deposit. If I recall his story, he placed a deposit on a car that Tesla later claimed was not for sale. Instead of refunding his deposit, they kept charging him. $15K and months later, they finally made things right. I believe he was able to dispute some of the charges with his credit card company; clearly he did not authorize the charge nor did he receive anything in exchange.

My purchase back in Jan 2019 was flawless, but I read through all the horror stories and set my expectations really low.

Reactions: kayak1
Sorry to hear about your troubles with Tesla's discombobulated divisions of labor. It does seem like the right hand does not understand what the left hand is doing and I cannot believe Tesla has not addressed a better workflow manager for customer related services. There was another fellah here about a year ago who was repeatedly charged ~$5K for a deposit. If I recall his story, he placed a deposit on a car that Tesla later claimed was not for sale. Instead of refunding his deposit, they kept charging him. $15K and months later, they finally made things right. I believe he was able to dispute some of the charges with his credit card company; clearly he did not authorize the charge nor did he receive anything in exchange.

My purchase back in Jan 2019 was flawless, but I read through all the horror stories and set my expectations really low.

I found that tread., But it took him two months to get money back.
I cant wait that long.
Also there are some other folks on reddit with same issue.
Car is listed as clean and then discovered repaired/accident.
Now the worst part is we are going back to buy ICE cars, hoping in 4 yrs from now Tesla will improve their cust service

Reactions: InternetDude
To be quite frank, we've all had issues with Tesla one way or another and yes, it is a pain in the butt. At the end of the day, you are paying for the technology that Tesla has and in doing so, you suffer from a lack of customer service, QA, and QC. Unfortunately, I feel this is not going to change in the near future UNTIL there are other manufacturers that have similar capabilities and who knows when that will be.

Anyhow, sorry to hear your experience and good luck moving forward.

To be frank, we have NOT all had issues with Tesla. The few issues are broadcast over some forums to make it seem as if there are hundreds of cases, while there are not. Yes, we pay for technology, but you don't have to give up basic service, what little there is of that. (I've had four Teslas, and have never returned for service after picking them up at the SC. That's in over 200,000 miles) Other mfg.s use service as a major profit center, with constant oil changes and filter replacements, brake service (Tesla brakes will last forever since regen has gotten so good) etc., etc., etc.

I feel it is a Service Center issue, with some SCs being really good, and others not seeming to care. My recommendation would be for people to shop around. I have a SC that is about fifty miles from me, but after doing business with them a couple times, I travel 115 miles to use a dealer (NOT service) who treats me better. That was three cars ago, and my satisfaction levels have increased considerably.

...To be frank, we have NOT all had issues with Tesla...

It's a systemic problem.

The owner could look up from his computer and see the charge went through on his bank but Tesla workers look up their computers and cannot see any charges that they received, not just yet.

In the computer age, Tesla computer took several days to verify that the charge's in the system instead of just seconds.

Honestly, I was floored the other day having to drop my SO's porsche off for a transfer-case issue (well documented, and known).

I pulled up, service advisor met me--on time. Asked what was wrong. Told him I thought it was a transfer case issue, he confirmed the basic diagnosis, said they'd take a look.

Any other issues? Couple of small noises here and there... cool! You need a rental?

Gave me the keys to a rental, took my keys, texted me as i left so i could get in touch and that was that.

ALL THIS FROM A CPO PURCHASE. I still can't believe it. I feel bad for everyone who continually puts up with the awful service you get from Tesla. I love my car (when its not messed up), but I will likely never buy another Tesla.

To be frank, we have NOT all had issues with Tesla. The few issues are broadcast over some forums to make it seem as if there are hundreds of cases, while there are not. Yes, we pay for technology, but you don't have to give up basic service, what little there is of that. (I've had four Teslas, and have never returned for service after picking them up at the SC. That's in over 200,000 miles) Other mfg.s use service as a major profit center, with constant oil changes and filter replacements, brake service (Tesla brakes will last forever since regen has gotten so good) etc., etc., etc.

I feel it is a Service Center issue, with some SCs being really good, and others not seeming to care. My recommendation would be for people to shop around. I have a SC that is about fifty miles from me, but after doing business with them a couple times, I travel 115 miles to use a dealer (NOT service) who treats me better. That was three cars ago, and my satisfaction levels have increased considerably.

I apologize as I mistyped but you are right, not ALL but I've read plenty of horror stories and I usually don't speak negatively about anything unless I personally have experienced it. That said, I picked up my MS Long Rage last September and found multiple issues(cracked glass roof, scratched up center console, wheel alignment way off veering to the left, scratched back bumper) wrong with the car right from the get go. If that wasn't the end of it, getting it fixed and repaired was a nightmare. There was a huge scratch on my rear bumper when picked up from car delivery. Tesla SC acknowledged the problem and set a future appt for me to come in and get it repaired. When i arrived the day of the appt, I was told that the bumper was not in stock.....that alone should never happen. That happened to me twice for the same rear bumper.....

BUT I'm glad that you are a happy customer and again, I love Tesla's technology but from my perspective, they can beef up other areas that are lacking.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Tesla service has its problems at times (even though I have had good luck with them.).

But until those problems account for more time spent than actually enjoying the car, I’ll deal with the short term headaches. It makes no sense to me to buy something I dislike driving on a daily basis for years, all to avoid the maybe month total of headaches during those years of ownership. To each their own.

If someone from Tesla told me "look,we apologise,this will be resolved in 1-2 months 100%,you will get your money back and you dont need to call us back anymore,just relax, you can reorder another Tesla vehicle without issues and let us know if you need any help" i would probably just order another Tesla and end of story.

But what i got is " dont order new vehicle untill this issue is resolved,we didnt charge your card at all,can you prove we charged you destination fee, we will investigate and that can take up to 45 days, if you dont hear from us in one month call us back' !

I know im in minority group, not everyone have this problems, we are family with 3 cars and i was ready to have issues with MS being in service shop or issues after delivery.

But ordering now Tesla again and deal with same ghost sales advisor who never called me and probably same other people over the phone is just too much for us now.

I will go with my plan B, probably getting A6 , i know its ICE car but hopefully will last next 4 years untill Tesla become more customer oriented

I’m sorry you’re having so many issues. I think part of the issues is that the used department is working from home right now and not in their office.

I ordered used last year and had zero issues. And fwiw my delivery was paid when I picked up the car. I know that was a year ago and things have changed.

covid isn’t making things easy at any dealerships. Here in wa state everything had to be contactless. Sales. Service. Everything. This isn’t Tesla specific it’s the law.

I’ve bought new and used from Tesla both flawless but new is quite different than used. Used it take it as is u less they didn’t show an issue in the pics. New is they fix any issues. maybe for your family best to start with new purchase and have both ice and electric.

I’m sorry you’re having so many issues. I think part of the issues is that the used department is working from home right now and not in their office.

I ordered used last year and had zero issues. And fwiw my delivery was paid when I picked up the car. I know that was a year ago and things have changed.

covid isn’t making things easy at any dealerships. Here in wa state everything had to be contactless. Sales. Service. Everything. This isn’t Tesla specific it’s the law.

I’ve bought new and used from Tesla both flawless but new is quite different than used. Used it take it as is u less they didn’t show an issue in the pics. New is they fix any issues. maybe for your family best to start with new purchase and have both ice and electric.

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that, i could hear child screaming in the back while talking on the phone, could barely understand her, and everything sounded very unprofessional.
This was used vehicle order, i know Tesla does not care about used cars but in that case leave those transactions to someone else than.

And you are right,that is very good idea to go now with one ice vehicle and one electric. Problem is that even with new Tesla i have to go trough same people-process i think. And i was told to hold on ordering any Tesla while this issue is pending, for some reason

If someone from Tesla told me "look,we apologise,this will be resolved in 1-2 months 100%,you will get your money back and you dont need to call us back anymore,just relax, you can reorder another Tesla vehicle without issues and let us know if you need any help" i would probably just order another Tesla and end of story.

But what i got is " dont order new vehicle untill this issue is resolved,we didnt charge your card at all,can you prove we charged you destination fee, we will investigate and that can take up to 45 days, if you dont hear from us in one month call us back' !

I know im in minority group, not everyone have this problems, we are family with 3 cars and i was ready to have issues with MS being in service shop or issues after delivery.

But ordering now Tesla again and deal with same ghost sales advisor who never called me and probably same other people over the phone is just too much for us now.

I will go with my plan B, probably getting A6 , i know its ICE car but hopefully will last next 4 years untill Tesla become more customer oriented
A6 really? Might want to rethink that. My brother-in-law has an A6 that has been nothing but a nightmare.

Surely there is an A6 forum. If I were interested in an A6 I check that out. His experience could be isolated case.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

A6 really? Might want to rethink that. My brother-in-law has an A6 that has been nothing but a nightmare.

Surely there is an A6 forum. If I were interested in an A6 I check that out. His experience could be isolated case.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Why? New A6 premium plus looks nice.
I love technology.
They give you 4 yr warranty and loaner every time if you need it.
Im not sure what will happen after 4 years but im not planing to keep it after warranty period.