Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla just reduced the price of 100D and P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what happened:

QnUbcvu.gif

I'm not surprised. I was expecting a price drop like this but it happened much sooner than I expected. This is what I wrote recently in another thread here:

I do expect a modest price drop in all 100 kWh S/X versions. My best guess is $4,000 to $5,000 drop around the end of Q2 2018.

Last edited:
Here is what happened:

QnUbcvu.gif

I'm not surprised. I was expecting a price drop like this but it happened much sooner than I expected. This is what I wrote recently in another thread here:
I think that's Tesla have to great profit margin on the updates, Tesla said for over a year ago that there price for batterypacks was below $190/kWh and here they take $19,500 for 25 kWh or $780/kWh. I do understand that they can and will have higher profit margin on there more expensive cars and the additional equipment but that feels to big.

@Troy Thanks for the update.

@JonMc Why price difference between MS 75D->100D is 19,5k and MX 75D->100D is just 16,5k it should be the same battery?

@JonMc It would be great if Tesla would host a history of prices publicly on their website + explanations for each price change. Viewer could choose to filter out currency fluctuation changes and they would be indicated separately.

@Tiger, I agree. The price differences between Model S and Model X are a little confusing. The Model X is more expensive to produce, therefore it makes sense that the prices are higher. However, the 75D and P100D versions of the Model X are $5,000 more expensive than the Model S but the 100D version is only $2,000 more expensive. It looks like the Model X 100D price should be $99,000 instead of $96,000. By the way, this is not a new problem. The same problem existed before today's price changes.

hSb4CwJ.gif

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
It's because the S continues to sell better than the X, they're squeezing more out of people on the product that moves while incentivizing people to buy an X.

Anyway, looks like no changes are coming to the S before the end of the year which is super disappointing for me

Are you talking $ only? I see a possible interior refresh and/or a larger than 75 battery option before EOY.

No I mean new options/refresh....I just don't see it after this move. They're gonna drop the price and then raise it again with the new option in a couple months? Just don't see it. Probably at some point in 2018 though.

This also explains the recent drop in price of
Inventory s100 and p100 cars. If was them I would've kept the price the same and just made the premium package standard.
The premium package is already standard on P100D and as not everyone feels the need for it this will probably make more people buy 100D instead of 75 or 75D. Even with this price drop I'm sure Tesla want people to choose 100D over 75D.

To let the customer take advantage of lower production cost according to Tesla they have just drop the price of 100D with $3500 and P100D with $5000. Model S 100D starts now at $94000 and P100D starts at $140000 wish is the same as earlier this year before the price rise but now the premium package and premium seat is included.

Tesla drops the price of its higher-end vehicles thanks to improved 100 kWh pack production

Nice (and self-aware) move by Tesla. The cost delta between the 75 models and the 100s was simply too much.