Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla just sent me $2k with no reason.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my car a month ago. The delivery experience was a real PITA, but it worked out. A day ago I found Tesla deposited $2000 into the account I used to fund my purchase. No reason why. I dont want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I would really like to know why.

Anyone seen this before? Not sure if I should call and ask why or just keep it.

Such refunds commonly happen when the estimated taxes are higher than the actual ones. That has happensedwith all three of my Teslae.

In several jurisdictions a trade in value is deducted from the sales taxes, and in most cases taxes are paid for the gross purchase amount. That is one of the most common cases. Oddly, Tesla refunds only star the reason on the physical checks, but do not when making credit to accounts.

In a number of jurisdictions license and title fees are variable depending on specific formulas. That also tends to generate refunds when purchase payment exceeds the actual costs.

Luckily for all of us, Tesla does refund the excess payments. Many dealers and financing sources just keep the overpayment.

• Informative
Reactions: mrwug and dhrivnak
Such refunds commonly happen when the estimated taxes are higher than the actual ones. That has happensedwith all three of my Teslae.

In several jurisdictions a trade in value is deducted from the sales taxes, and in most cases taxes are paid for the gross purchase amount. That is one of the most common cases. Oddly, Tesla refunds only star the reason on the physical checks, but do not when making credit to accounts.

In a number of jurisdictions license and title fees are variable depending on specific formulas. That also tends to generate refunds when purchase payment exceeds the actual costs.

Luckily for all of us, Tesla does refund the excess payments. Many dealers and financing sources just keep the overpayment.
Uh fairly certain that would be illegal, at least in the great state of Washington. I happen to live just outside the Puget Sound RTA zone and always get dinged for license and tab fees far in excess of what are correct for my physical address when purchasing a vehicle. They have been refunded every single time. At risk of divulging my perhaps unusually high number of car purchases, lets say its a number between 5 and 50 over the past 10 years so it's not an isolated incident.

I paid no taxes or fees at purchase. I had to pay for all those in Vermont. My payment was car only.

Reactions: Corndart
Uh fairly certain that would be illegal, at least in the great state of Washington. I happen to live just outside the Puget Sound RTA zone and always get dinged for license and tab fees far in excess of what are correct for my physical address when purchasing a vehicle. They have been refunded every single time. At risk of divulging my perhaps unusually high number of car purchases, lets say its a number between 5 and 50 over the past 10 years so it's not an isolated incident.
I don’t think your number would be considered unusually high in the car enthusiast community. One of my close friends who loves cars has easily purchased well over 100 cars in the last decade. So you are not alone.

I picked up my car a month ago. The delivery experience was a real PITA, but it worked out. A day ago I found Tesla deposited $2000 into the account I used to fund my purchase. No reason why. I dont want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I would really like to know why.

Anyone seen this before? Not sure if I should call and ask why or just keep it.

Did you order an inventory car originally? Delivery charges are for when a car has already landed at a delivery center and then needs to be shipped elsewhere. We had this happen when ordering an inventory SR Y that was back east. Because it didn't get shipped and we ended up getting matched to a factory car, we got the delivery fee refunded. It sounds like you ordered an inventory car and when it wasn't shipped out to you in a reasonable amount of time, they matched you to a car at a local delivery center and refunded the delivery fee.

Did you order an inventory car originally? Delivery charges are for when a car has already landed at a delivery center and then needs to be shipped elsewhere. We had this happen when ordering an inventory SR Y that was back east. Because it didn't get shipped and we ended up getting matched to a factory car, we got the delivery fee refunded. It sounds like you ordered an inventory car and when it wasn't shipped out to you in a reasonable amount of time, they matched you to a car at a local delivery center and refunded the delivery fee.
Yeah, inventory car out of Texas to NJ. Took two weeks just to leave Texas. Then Paramus got hit by a hurricane. That took another two weeks. Then when I flew to NJ my car was actually at another SC. Horrible experience. But I imagine my 2k delivery fee is what they gave me back.