Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla keeping laptop cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
... for Model S only

Tesla to keep laptop cells until 3rd-gen car, new Roadster sales pace lagging

Larger format cells are expected to be used in Bluestar. I must say I thought they'd keep the existing technology for longer, maybe it's a Daimler thing. Or possibly the forecast price/performance improvement in 18650s is just not happening

My guess its an ESS cost/complexity issue

Or maybe it's just a way of announcing a delay in the model development timeline :biggrin:

In other news, new Roadster orders seem to be keeping pace with cancellations. :frown:

Last edited:
As I understand it, the advantage to the 18650 cell is primarily cost. It's a standard form factor in high volume production, which enables economies of scale. There's a great deal of price pressure on the manufacturers.

I imagine the larger format cell has technical advantages such as packaging for automotive applications.

If the demand for automotive cells rises, their manufacturers too will find economies of scale in response to price pressures.

I'm guessing that in addition to a cost advantage they also have nicely tested reliability advantage. There have already been several recalls of batteries that the manufacturers probably learned a lot from. So I find no fault with Tesla sticking to something that works and keeps battery costs lower. They should set up a small engineering group to start work on the "next-gen" ESS though as they need to be able to take advantage of any available technology quickly after it has shown it's reliability and price competitiveness.

Cobos

As far as I recall, the larger format cells use chemistries that have lower energy density. The other battery manufacturers appear to be ready to accept the lower range, unlike Tesla.

The 18650s are good for what Tesla wishes to achieve. Other companies may wish to achieve different things.

It should be noted that SpaceX uses different cell chemistry in its batteries than Tesla, based upon the needs of its application. So sticking to 18650s doesn't appear to be an ideological point.

Last edited: