Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla keyfob with Apple Airtag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont actually know if this is related to Airtag, but after few monts wearing keyfob with Airtag, key started to work incorrectly. Autopresent still work and it can start a car. But buttons are unresponsive. Check few batteries, still same thing.
Airtag and Model X keyfob both use Bluetooth LE.

65BE706F-EDAA-414B-AF04-498857B17BB5.jpeg

Screenshot_20220629-071625_nRF Connect.jpg
Negative. BT uses 2.45Ghz freq while AirTags use 6-8.5GHz.
Airtag uses both BT (BLE)and UWB. Here is an airtag in a BLE scanner, it's a regular BLE advert.and here is a Tesla car also BLE advertising for phone key/keyfob functions.
Screenshot_20220629-071804_nRF Connect~2.jpg

The Airtag uses BLE for crowd location as BLE is prolific in Apple phones and uses UWB for nearby precision/direction finding.

Your phone, the Airtag and keyfob are all using 2.4GHz BLE but so are dozens of other devices around you. BLE is designed for devices to coexist. Airtags only spend a small amount of time with the radio active (advertising) on the BLE adv channels, in the example above its 164ms between adverts and each advert and each advert is only a few ms in length. So no, the Airtag will not be intefering with your Tesla keyfob.

Samsung Smarttag work in the same way, with Smarttag+ also having UWB.

Tile works in the same way as well but no UWB option only BLE. What's different though is Tile lacks the OS integration of Airtags and Smartags and relies app users rather than OS users for crowd location.

BT Engineer 😉

Did it get wet somewhere by chance?

I don't have any AirTags (looking at ordering some though!) but I'm getting the exact same symptoms. The fob didn't get dropped in water, but did end up in some very humid pockets while I was digging a 6ft deep hole! Anyone have any suggestions as to whether I can get the fob buttons working again, and avoid having to buy a new one?

I don't have any AirTags (looking at ordering some though!) but I'm getting the exact same symptoms. The fob didn't get dropped in water, but did end up in some very humid pockets while I was digging a 6ft deep hole! Anyone have any suggestions as to whether I can get the fob buttons working again, and avoid having to buy a new one?
Rice?

I took the fob apart, and left it on top of a radiator to dry out. Reassembled, changed the battery, and it still doesn't really work. Pressing three times on the top sometimes opens the left falcon-wing door, and the only way to close it is to double-click the boot/trunk! Nothing else works.

I might spray some WD-40 in there to drive out any moisture, otherwise I think it's b0rked.