Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Kills Resale Guarantee Program!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can this be a good sign? It's obvious that they are worried that the 3 will severely impact the resale value of the S

So obvious that you don't need a single source for that statement? I'd feel more comfortable with one anyway. It should be obvious to anybody who read all 132 pages of the annual report why it's to everybody's advantage that they drop the program.

As I mentioned in another thread yesterday, they did not stop the RVG program here where I live. We also have different conditions (48/48% instead of 50/43%), and I am seriously considering it.

Right now, it does not seem to make much sense. I did the math, and returning the car in 3 years with the RVG would make it way more expensive than just a regular operating leasing (things are called different here, operating leasing = rent, regular leasing = finance leasing).

But in 3 years the whole market situation will be a completely different one, as we all know, so IF I should decide to upgrade to a new Tesla in 3 years AND IF the RV will be below 48% the RVG would be a nice safety net, though chances are good that we will keep our S 60 v2 for 8 years and just get the M3 in addition.

Tesla has only one leasing partner for the RVG here in my country, of course they have the highest interest rate, but it's not that bad actually (just 0.52% more than the leasing offer with the best conditions so far).

That they stopped the program in the USA does not really come as a surprise, but I would not consider it as a good sign. Of course it is a liability for them, but it surely helped to keep the market for used Teslas in line. We will see what will happen in the years to come, prices for current Model S and X may as well take a dive and one will need goods reasons to keep paying a premium considering the upcoming competition.

So all in all, it may be the best idea to go for the RVG as long as they still offer it in your part of the world.