Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla knows MCU with eMMC Fix Still has Problems (we need NHTSA to force the fix)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Model X 2016 90D AP1 and my MCU failed which ended up immobilizing the car (Tesla said this should not have happened but it did) which required a flat bed tow (their cost) to a nearby Tesla service center. At that time, Tesla replaced the MCU eMMC on Sept 3rd 2020. Since this part has been replaced, the backup safety camera and other functionality (e.g. navigation, user interface access) will become non-functioning frequently. This can be non-functioning for a few seconds to a few minutes. Sometimes the backup safety camera will freeze the object on screen and not move, be solid black, or not even show the backup camera (I provided Tesla service examples of the solid black and the lack of backup camera view while the X is in reverse). Overall the hardware "fix" has caused MORE issues than before the failure. I also have an extended Tesla warranty, and Tesla will not replace this more problematic MCU w/eMMC fix with a MCU1 (I tried to get a new MCU1) or MCU2 since Tesla classifies this as a "performance" related issue. So, Telsa offered me 2 options:

1) I wait an unknown period for an unknown software fix. It has been almost 4 months and there's been no fix.
2) I pay $2500 to fix my backup safety camera which Tesla confirmed fixes the problem.

Tesla Service confirmed in writing that the corporate policy is to take the cheaper approach which is to have the customer wait. I provided this messaging in the NHTSA complaint I submitted today (see it attached too). I STRONGLY recommend people file complaints. File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

P.S. I love Tesla and own 2 of them, but this is unacceptable.

Attachments

• Tesla Service has known hardware fix but does not want to spend money to fix.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
The NHTSA requirement to have a backup camera doesn't apply to your vehicle. That went into effect in March of 2018, exactly the time that Tesla switched to putting MCU2s in vehicles. (Coincidence?)

NHTSA has already moved from a PE to a EA investigation, so I don't know that any more complaints will make a difference. (Though they certainly won't hurt.) But I wouldn't expect anything to come from them for another year or so. (Though maybe they will surprise me, it only took them 5 months to go from PE to EA on this issue, while other PEs that are 4 years old still haven't been decided on.)

Last edited:
The NHTSA requirement to have a backup camera doesn't apply to your vehicle. That went into effect in March of 2018, exactly the time that Tesla switched to putting MCU2s in vehicles. (Coincidence?)

NHTSA has already moved from a PE to a EA investigation, so I don't know that any more complaints will make a difference. (Though they certainly won't hurt.) But I wouldn't expect anything to come from them for another year or so. (Though maybe they will surprise me, it only took them 5 months to go from PE to EA on this issue, while other PEs that are 4 years old still haven't been decided on.)
Thanks, this is good to know. I found the Engineering Analysis (EA) document from NHTSA you mentioned. Amazingly there are no crashes with the rear camera failures. I wonder how a "crash" is classified.

I have Model X 2016 90D AP1 and my MCU failed which ended up immobilizing the car (Tesla said this should not have happened but it did) which required a flat bed tow (their cost) to a nearby Tesla service center. At that time, Tesla replaced the MCU eMMC on Sept 3rd 2020. Since this part has been replaced, the backup safety camera and other functionality (e.g. navigation, user interface access) will become non-functioning frequently. This can be non-functioning for a few seconds to a few minutes. Sometimes the backup safety camera will freeze the object on screen and not move, be solid black, or not even show the backup camera (I provided Tesla service examples of the solid black and the lack of backup camera view while the X is in reverse). Overall the hardware "fix" has caused MORE issues than before the failure. I also have an extended Tesla warranty, and Tesla will not replace this more problematic MCU w/eMMC fix with a MCU1 (I tried to get a new MCU1) or MCU2 since Tesla classifies this as a "performance" related issue. So, Telsa offered me 2 options:

1) I wait an unknown period for an unknown software fix. It has been almost 4 months and there's been no fix.
2) I pay $2500 to fix my backup safety camera which Tesla confirmed fixes the problem.

Tesla Service confirmed in writing that the corporate policy is to take the cheaper approach which is to have the customer wait. I provided this messaging in the NHTSA complaint I submitted today (see it attached too). I STRONGLY recommend people file complaints. File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

After I complained about the continual rebooting of the display at the driver's side and frequent blank large screen (for several minutes) I was told by the service center that it is a "...known firmware problem" and a fix has not been developed as yet. At first they asked me for exact times of incidents (which I had not recorded). So I began logging dates and times, then they gave me the "known hardware" line.

Amazingly there are no crashes with the rear camera failures. I wonder how a "crash" is classified.

I wouldn’t expect there to be, honestly. The way the MCU is failing, I’d expect the rear camera to just fail to engage, and not drop out mid-backing up. So if that’s the case - it fails to engage - I’d think the driver would instead start backing up using their Mark I eyeballs.

I know we live in a technology cocoon, but backing up using eyeballs is a pretty important skill.

I’m having a lot of software issues the last few day

2020.47.30, 2018 100D

GPS stopped reporting position for hours. Map appeared as normal. Rebooted multiple times (2 finger, 4 finger brake, total menu off). VERY long time to return from reboot, several minutes to 15 minutes every time. Also the side cameras stopped working.

This was my first day towing a new travel trailer (sub freezing weather) so so very annoying since energy calculations ceased, too. Browser (ABRP) very very slow even with good reception, WiFi, etc.

Today cameras and GPS returned. While driving all screens went black. After waiting a few minutes black, did 4 finger reboot and several more minutes later came back.

Roadside service said they couldn’t do anything. 877 service said they couldn’t see anything wrong. He said he sent a GPS reset but not sure it happened. The problems persisted for 24 hours after my conversation.

Suggestions?

They need to get spanked before they do the right thing.

Speaks volumes about their leadership.

100%. I used to drink the KoolAid but I've lost my taste for brand loyalty to Tesla. I will likely buy another Tesla sometime in the future, until the competitors catch up. When those competitors catch up to feature parity (along with charger availability) , I will likely choose the competition every time if they're a major established car brand. They're getting away with treating their customers like this in the short run because they can, but mark my word. This will come back to bite them in the long term.

100%. I used to drink the KoolAid but I've lost my taste for brand loyalty to Tesla. I will likely buy another Tesla sometime in the future, until the competitors catch up. When those competitors catch up to feature parity (along with charger availability) , I will likely choose the competition every time if they're a major established car brand. They're getting away with treating their customers like this in the short run because they can, but mark my word. This will come back to bite them in the long term.

I haven’t been treated like royalty by BMW (my first M3, plus several others) or Acura (or Dodge).

Didn’t really expect to be treated like royalty by dodge, but the not-so-bright service rep was standing by my running 1993 Cummings diesel and didn’t know it was a diesel.

• Funny
Reactions: Fiddler
I haven’t been treated like royalty by BMW (my first M3, plus several others) or Acura (or Dodge).

Didn’t really expect to be treated like royalty by dodge, but the not-so-bright service rep was standing by my running 1993 Cummings diesel and didn’t know it was a diesel.

6594a3de132fb040efd0ab9655bd5d12.png

So, Telsa offered me 2 options:

I have had the same issue intermittently for 2 1/2 years now with my model 3. I will now finally file a complaint with the NHTSA, because backup cameras have been a requirement in new cars since 2018. Tesla's backup camera in my car is unreliable at best.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/02/backup-cameras-now-required-in-new-cars-in-the-us.html

I wouldn’t expect there to be, honestly. The way the MCU is failing, I’d expect the rear camera to just fail to engage, and not drop out mid-backing up. So if that’s the case - it fails to engage - I’d think the driver would instead start backing up using their Mark I eyeballs.

I know we live in a technology cocoon, but backing up using eyeballs is a pretty important skill.
The camera isn’t failing in that way for me. Sometimes it’ll freeze the image on the screen. So I’ll think the driveway is empty and back out and it’s a frozen day before image. Serious. I’ve learned to check the image as I back up to insure it’s moving. That’s pretty dangerous.

The emmc is a daughter board on the MCU. So, if they replaced the MCU, the emmc was replaced. I can't imagine they would reuse the emmc on a refurbished MCU installment. I would think this far along they are only refurbishing MCU1s. I am sure they are not getting new ones built. That can be pretty sketchy.

Has there been any positive movement by the NHTSA to deal with this problem?
The NHTSA investigation is still open, but Tesla has issued a voluntary recall for the eMMC. (Though they have limited supply of replacement boards so they are priotizing vehicles that have failed eMMC rather than ones just having random blackouts that recover after a reboot.)

Can anyone advise me what to do? I have had numerous issues with the MCU1. I have the automatic screen reset while driving, the black screen of nothing works. I have received their message of we know it's the 8gb card issue but we don't have enough of the 64gb and wait email.
At this point, I'm looking to sell my X. Should I pay and upgrade to the MCU2 unit since I don't want to have the future buyer in coming back to me and give me crap or should I wait it out. This car has given me numerous issues and I'm looking to be done with Teslas for the time being.
Any good advice would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

they are trying something worse on me, I had the emmc replaced under recall at first they said it still had memory left and they would get back to me what it was necessary to replace it a week later the screen froze up as I was driving on the freeway went black I took pictures of it and and video sent it to Tesla SC they came back and said they have to order the part and it it would be about a month I said okay fine. I just got the car May 2 its a 13 S85 came with 23600 always garaged has tech pkg silver color FSC Premium connectivity...the first thing I noticed when driving it home from Las Vegas was the right front speaker was blown so I thought no big deal well come to find out it is kind of a big deal to replace the speakers anyways the next day I found out I noticed some sticky glue-like substance leaking under from the MCU I had previous read something about that so when I went to get my emmc replaced I asked them to put a new touch-screen in they said it would be $550 plus tax plus $220 labor I verbally agreed to it over the phone the cars took two days to repair in the meantime I was thinking about if they were already taking the MCU why would they charge me labor to put the new screen in? I will tell you why to try to rip me off so I go to pick up my car I mentioned the labor charge he put me on hold for at least two minutes came back and said the labor charge has been removed I said okay great. 2 Days Later I find out on my own about the mcu1 to the MCU 2 upgrade I want on my app and schedule a upgrade they came back to me a day or two later with a $1,500 estimate not explaining exactly what parts are what they are going to do to upgrad it. So I asked him where is the MCU touchscreen going to replaced and they said yes so is the instrument cluster and another chip I said I was just there last week and got a new touch screen please exchange it give me credit for it they said no I said why not they said that the results are as manager who replaced by e m m c and my original touchscreen mentioned to me about the upgrade which is a total lie because why would I go back there less than a week later wanting the upgrade if you had told me about it when I was there less than a week before? So I talked to his boss which got me nowhere she was saying that she told me that over the phone which is a total lie he was arguing with me over the phone tomorrow is my appointment I can't wait to see what happens those three people I that it comes to a good conclusion for their sake I have nothing to lose I will go all the way to Palo Alto California the main headquarters I don't care how much it cost I will talk to the person who is the highest in charge of that division and all divisions because that flyer they sent out about the upgrade is absolutely. Nonsense