Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla L2 Charging & Stupid Per Tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will not be everyone's cup of tea and I don't expect it to be. Some of you have easy access to supercharging, others wouldn't dream of treating electricity as anything but witchcraft. For those wanting L2 options, well, here you go. The attached is really for my son to help my wife if she's traveled somewhere, needs to charge, and I'm off playing someplace. She's going to have a pretty complete remote charging capability in her car. Sure she can go supercharge, but here in the rural midwest those aren't common enough. Certainly none within 30 minutes of places she'll likely travel to without me.

For those that want to build the same kit here's the links:
(you can buy 12 gauge drop cords anyplace)​

Notes:
  1. Yes, I'm a crappy videographer. Have you heard the one about the mouse and the elephant?
  2. If these things scare you than the safe move is to move on.
  3. I don't know if these are UL approved or not. Not a major point of concern for me. All are well regarded and appear properly built.
  4. Do NOT screw with what you don't know or understand!!
  5. Yes, I wish I could edit the title. Oops!

1) How long? What time is it?
2) Looks scary huh? Please please? Sigh.... The spare EVSE is already a Tesla Mobile Connector. Don't know what they look like eh? The wall connector will be... on the wall. However, as I've said, if power adapters scare you then this is not for you.
3) The 120v drop cords are outdoor rated commercial 12 gauge. What would you have suggested?
4) Yep, only for those that know what they are doing! As it happens, I do.
5) Why? Again, we're not in a metro area. In fact, just two weeks ago I took a 10KVA generator out to a model S to get it off the road. He'd have been fine if he'd have had a spare EVSE and some adapters in his car, but without it he tried and failed to get home. Not gonna happen here.
6) Quality problems? Didn't look at the specs or reviews of the products, right? Just sort of assumed?

Ah well, to each his own skill and experience level, and if it helps somebody swell. If not that's ok too.

Have a nice day,

-d

1) It's nearly midnight. Do you not own a clock or don't know how long you've owned a Tesla?

2) The EVSE link you provided doesn't work. I'm terrified by broken links.

3) What is a "drop cord"?

4) How do you know these other people don't know what they're doing?

5) Just a smidge of planning will prevent running out of power. Also, EV charging isn't the wild west anymore, even in the wild mid-west. There are RV sites with NEMA 14-50 plugs littered all across America, and Tesla sells the adapter for it. And many other plug types. https://shop.tesla.com/product/nema-adapter-bundle And anything they don't sell you can get from EVSE Adapters – Electric vehicle charging solutions, adapter cords for EV, RV, welders, and more. Charge anywhere.

6) I assume they're all unnecessary.
a) The combiner is just going to trip breakers or catch things on fire.
b) The splitter is unnecessary - just use a NEMA 14-30 adapter on the EVSE.
c) I guess, sure, if you want to use someone's ungrounded outlet and assume everything else is fine with it.
d) It's nice that it's so cheap but I'd rather have an actual multimeter. Or an actual plug tester.

Are you familiar with PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge ? Another useful source would be RV Parky | RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, Reviews, Photos if you're OK paying an upfront fee for a 50A site.

But the best solution is plan ahead and know how much range you have. I've driven over 65,000 miles across 27 states. I've used Superchargers, Tesla destination plugs, free and pay J1772 plugs, NEMA 14-50, NEMA L5-30, and NEMA 5-15. I've never once had to effectively jerry rig a power source to charge my car. Those days are essentially over.

But if it makes you feel good to have all that equipment on hand, more power to you. Pun intended!

Have a nice day.

~ LoudMusic

I am very confused by this thread.

OP, you said you are a terrible videographer. Is there a link to a video that I missed? Or are you saying that there is no video because you are so crappy?

Maybe if there was a video, it would help explain what you are planning to do with these parts. If I had to guess, it looks like you are considering finding a 14-30 dryer outlet somewhere, converting it to two standard 5-15 outlets that you then run "drop cords" into the combiner to convert back to a 14-50 outlet so you can plug the "spare EVSE" (which you say is actually a Tesla Mobile Connector) and then into the car. I suppose the reason for doing this is because there are a plethora of 12 gauge 5-15/5-20 "drop cords" available to you, but you can't find a single one with the appropriate plugs/receptacles, and for whatever reason, the dryer outlet your wife found is not within 20' or so of the vehicle.

Okay, questions:
  1. You say you know what you are doing. Does your wife? Because apparently you are out playing when all this is happening.
  2. How did your wife get into this situation in the first place? Granted, you said you are in the midwest and distances there are larger than in the rest of the country, but in a Tesla there are not many excuses for keeping the car around 80% before setting out, and even in lower range models, this is still going to give you around 200 miles of range. Is she routinely going that far?
  3. And if she does go that far, is she not using the nav system that would tell her before she even left that maybe she's not going to make it?
  4. Are dryer outlets and people willing to let them use them actually more common than L2 charging stations?
  5. Since you are converting a 14-30 outlet into two 5-15 (or maybe 5-20's, but do your drop cords have 5-20 plugs/receptacles?), and then back to 14-50, does your wife know that she needs to set the current limit in the car to 16A to avoid overloading the various components in your Rube Goldberg contraption? Maybe it would be better to get a 6-15 or 6-20 adapter for the mobile connector to make this more foolproof (although I do admit that finding the equivalent of the 14-50 combiner for 6-15/20 might be challenging).
  6. And you do realize that while better than L1 charging, you're definitely not going to get the 40A charging (without blowing a breaker, or worse) that you may be used to with the mobile connector. At best you will only (safely) pull 16A, which is 3.8kW, so still going to take awhile to intrude upon a neighbor's generosity.
As @LoudMusic said, if this equipment gives you and your wife peace of mind, then that's great. But even better would be to make sure everyone knows how to keep the car charged appropriately for expected use, and become familiar with the location of (or learn how to search for) proper charging stations if you ever do get into a questionable situation.

Did ya'll know Tesla themselves sell these conversions for the Mobile Connector? Apparently theirs is somehow magic and the RV industries are scary. I guess. Dunno. NMP.

Video gone? My apologies. Not sure I know why it disappeared, but I'm not gonna piss of a mod by reposting it in case it was yanked for some reason.

Correct: She and I will both occasionally be at extended ranges with no reasonable access to supercharging for considerable distances. Yes, I've first-hand experience rescuing Tesla's that were run to exhaustion. I'd rather not experience that. Fortunately such travels will be to family and friends, albeit somewhat remote, for several days. With the ability to support various receptables we'll be able recharge adequate to get to supercharging. Some examples:
  1. Several (3-6) times a year I'll be at very a remote lodge that has Nema 6-50 for a Hotsy. I'm one adapter away from a simple overnight charge. Yep, it's in the car already. Yes, Tesla makes one too.
  2. 2-4 times a year we'll again be at extended range at a home w/a gas dryer but wired to take electric. I don't know if it's a 10-30 or a 14-30, but it no longer matters. Both adapters are in the car. Yes, Tesla makes those also.
  3. 2-4 times a year she'll take it to her family for a few days. Same old thing. Boonies, no access, range just far enough I'm not sure she can get back. While I won't be there most times other men with adequate experience will be around. If not, well, 120V and some drop cords. With luck the garage 120V is on 20 amp. Doubt it will matter, but that's what facetime is for. Tesla again....
    1. For that matter there will tend to be experienced men around those gatherings and they can quickly see what in the car and deal.
By migrating to 5-15 for a few adapters I allow use of optionally using drop cords as extensions. I agree in a few cases that adds complexity, but it also provides a ton of flexibility. Not enough complexity to worry me, but folks will vary on this.

Side note: Some of these are in deep winter. I don't want to deal with -10F and wonder about range. Half of above would be fine in the spring/fall.

Yes, maybe I should have bought a PHEV. Honestly, had the Mazda CX-70 or CX-90 been shipping I probably would have. On the other-hand 90% of use of the thing is 40-50 miles of use per day. Meanwhile I'm already awaiting a PHEV Ranger, so in a few years it will cover the extended range situations and the "Y" will stick to ranges/locations/trips better suited.

So: There have been a few lucid comments among the FUD, and I appreciate the attempt. I'd not have again tried to explain the use case otherwise. Yes, I understand the pertinent standards. requirements, options, and alternatives. I also understand the level of tool-users vary in the world, and respectfully didn't intend to speak to all levels. I posted to help others that had a comfort and understanding of such things, not debate how electricity works, nor that RV and/or electric dryer adapters are something to be afraid of. Most of this is common as dirt in the RV community, but apparently pretty foreign stuff here. Fair enough, room read.

Bottom line: Time to let this die. Have a great day fella's!

-d