Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla laminated glass explanation from Munro

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you mean put you at ease? The Y (at least in the US) has acoustic laminated glass for the front and the rear is single pane non-acoustic glass. Supposedly the MIC Y's have it for both the front and rear. Nothing in that video has any relation to the Y.

usually Tesla is pretty good with their tech, in this case it's all hype. tests have shown that it's basically no difference in acoustics.

It would seem the glass would keep more outside sounds out of the cabin. According to some tests, it makes a measurable, albeit marginal, difference. In other tests, it seems the difference isn't really noticeable. The laminated double-pane glass is definitely stronger, and likely safer, but Tesla isn't trying to convince anyone that it's armored or bulletproof.

usually Tesla is pretty good with their tech, in this case it's all hype. tests have shown that it's basically no difference in acoustics.

It would seem the glass would keep more outside sounds out of the cabin. According to some tests, it makes a measurable, albeit marginal, difference. In other tests, it seems the difference isn't really noticeable. The laminated double-pane glass is definitely stronger, and likely safer, but Tesla isn't trying to convince anyone that it's armored or bulletproof.

Those tests include all noise sources where the most dominant noise overwhelms the measurement. To only compare glass acoustics one would need to isolate the glass with noise directed at the window.

Agree with kabin. Tesla would not be paying more for acoustic glass if it didn't make a difference. A DB meter is not the right way of analyzing whether the glass makes an objective difference.

Here's a video where the sound is recorded and the frequencies are analyzed

I can confirm the rear glass is single pane. A four foot branch fell through mine a week ago.

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 415
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I owned a 2018 M3P with single pane side windows and traded that in on a 2022 M3P with double pane laminated side windows (among other improvements and the 2022 is MUCH quieter than the 2018. Both wind noise and outside noise is vastly lower. Tire noise is even improved, tough not nearly to the same extent. Overall though, it is a much quieter car.

Bjorn did some tests and in real world driving he couldn’t detect any improvement in cabin noise. FYI it takes 3 db of change before the human ear can detect a difference. So I doubt front seat passengers would or could detect much difference if any. Rear seat passenger maybe.

So I’m not sure what Tesla was trying to fix? It has to weigh and cost more than what they were using? Could it be a SAFETY issue they were addressing Vs acoustic issue?

Agree with kabin. Tesla would not be paying more for acoustic glass if it didn't make a difference. A DB meter is not the right way of analyzing whether the glass makes an objective difference.

Here's a video where the sound is recorded and the frequencies are analyzed
That was an informative video, the only thing he could have done better would be to normalize it to human hearing (he notes it in the video), using curves similar to these. That dip between 2kHz and 5kHz is where we are most sensitive.
ISO226LoudnessCurves.gif

Reactions: mrwug