Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla launching Solar Roof V3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installation improvements V2 -> V3:

Roof plane had an edge: cut tiles in V2. Was hard. Got rid of all of that in V3. Massively reduced time and materials.

Lots of other improvements across product that improve speed of install. Will continue to do many minor installation efficiencies.

V2 required artisans at house, and V3 will not.

For now: 25 year warranty, 135MPH wind resistance. Pretty standard in roofing industry. Definitely don't have all the answers right now.

Ulmo,
Website is updated with technical details:

Tesla Solar Roof
    • Tile warranty25 years
    • Power warranty25 years
    • Weatherization warranty25 years
    • Roof Pitch2:12 to 20:12
    • Hail ratingClass 3 ANSI FM 4473 (up to 1.75" diameter hail)
    • Wind ratingClass F ASTM D3161 (up to 110 mph winds)

Engadget Q:

Tech Q. Uhhhhhm ... decent q but not really, because it won't really factor in until a few months later, at which point we will know more. Anyway, answer:

Aesthetics will knock "efficiency" down to ~10%.

But remember, this is one variable in total variables of cost of roof + cost of solar so I don't think this directly matters.

Installation improvements V2 -> V3:

Roof plane had an edge: cut tiles in V2. Was hard. Got rid of all of that in V3. Massively reduced time and materials.

Lots of other improvements across product that improve speed of install. Will continue to do many minor installation efficiencies.

V2 required artisans at house, and V3 will not.

Per Tesla's website, solar roof is priced competitively with roof replacement and adding solar panels. This is awesome!
Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Edit: Added pricing details with Powerwalls.

Last edited:
Mashable: wait time Q:

Depends how many people sign up. If a lot sign up, a queue, a few months? Or several months? Sooner people sign up, the less time they have to wait. Number of installs might be doubling every month. Trying to do short install time.

Will sped up installation process help?

Yes. This is intended to be easy to install. Edge conditions will be improved too (edges of roof and planes meet), and very rapid evolution of those edge condition details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Tesla's website, solar roof is priced competitively with roof replacement and adding solar panels. This is awesome!
View attachment 469999
View attachment 470006
Edit: Added pricing details with Powerwalls.

Wow. I compared the Solar Roof cost to my recent cost to re-roof asphalt (composite) shingles, with 9.5 KW-DC solar, and two powerwalls. It is comparable. For the same price I could have the solar roof.

Now let me cry quietly in the corner...

On the previous web page version there was an estimate of the solar production dollar value; I do not see that now, am I missing it?
Mortgaging a solar roof which produces electricity could be considered analogous to buying a rental property for the income stream. Tricky calculation since monthly "rental income" varies but if there is net metering (seasonal battery) then estimates using averages should be ballpark. Using the small 2000 sq ft 11.7kW system with average 40kWh/day the avoided electricity cost would be worth about the cost of the 15 year mortgage by my quick rental real estate valuation. Sounds like a deal.

Ulmo,
Website is updated with technical details:

Tesla Solar Roof
    • Tile warranty25 years
    • Power warranty25 years
    • Weatherization warranty25 years
    • Roof Pitch2:12 to 20:12
    • Hail ratingClass 3 ANSI FM 4473 (up to 1.75" diameter hail)
    • Wind ratingClass F ASTM D3161 (up to 110 mph winds)
Other premium roof products, like concrete tiles as well as Brava and other composite tiles and shakes (not same as composition) are guaranteed for 50 years.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo