Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla launching Solar Roof V3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. I compared the Solar Roof cost to my recent cost to re-roof asphalt (composite) shingles, with 9.5 KW-DC solar, and two powerwalls. It is comparable. For the same price I could have the solar roof.

Now let me cry quietly in the corner...
Asphalt is composition (basically fiberglass re-inforced tar paper with granules of colored rock on top) not composite. Composites are premium tiles and shakes made of molded polymers, usually with 50-year warranty. Seems like the composite mfrs could have come up with a less confusing name for their products.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and Ulmo
Wow. I compared the Solar Roof cost to my recent cost to re-roof asphalt (composite) shingles, with 9.5 KW-DC solar, and two powerwalls. It is comparable. For the same price I could have the solar roof.

Now let me cry quietly in the corner...
You have the same thing, only it looks different. I mean yes, the cool factor is different. Plus, you have it now. PG&E can shut your power down and you don't care much.

Hopefully third-party installers do not mark up the cost as much Powerwall installations.

FWIW for SolarRoof you can turn on or off the choice to add Powerwall, but if you go to the regualar retrofit solar panels you have no choice now. Powerwalls are forced as part of the stock config. On top of that you can't decrease or increase the number of Powerwalls now on either page. It's a fixed ratio to the size of the PV install.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
FWIW for SolarRoof you can turn on or off the choice to add Powerwall, but if you go to the regualar retrofit solar panels you have no choice now. Powerwalls are forced as part of the stock config. On top of that you can't decrease or increase the number of Powerwalls now on either page. It's a fixed ratio to the size of the PV install.
That's the market Tesla is trying to get within good cost benefit for the marketplace, so it makes sense they are choosing to cream-skim there. It's exactly what I advocated and would have done. It's the hardest sell and the best improvement for the future, so they're making those buyers happy first. When that market share dries up, they can split up installs to only-Powerwall and only-solar. Doing it in this order, they can get the maximum optimization for that future market, and that's exactly what market they want to get into. Well, they're already in it! Eventually, it's going to be 100% of the marketplace, so it's best to win that market when they have all the choice in the world of which market segment to target (i.e., higher demand than supply).

I can comfortably say that as someone who has a Tesla PowerWall system + solar. (I lucked out and got their PowerWalls when Tesla was ramping down its solar division, so they were allowing a few PowerWall-only installs, and I already had solar from the year before. Now that Model 3 has succeeded and Tesla is ramping back up its solar (roof and retro) and PowerWalls, for the near term future Tesla will target combo solar+PowerWall installs and similar.)

This rampup this time may happen pretty fast, so we may see split up installs pretty soon!

Last edited:
You have the same thing, only it looks different. I mean yes, the cool factor is different. Plus, you have it now. PG&E can shut your power down and you don't care much.

Based on V2 roof performance, it seems like the efficiency is more like 25-30% less not 10% as mentioned on the call. So you’d have to factor in 25% more solar roof power to even out the cost comparison.

Maybe they’ve made a big step with V3 on this, but if they had it seems like they’d mention it.

Here's a data-point on pricing, my roof was totaled this summer in a hail storm and we got bids on a replacement roof earlier this year. Bids are from a reputable local company.

30 Composition: $13,607
Metal Standing Seam: $26,379
Tesla Solar Roof (11.1kW): $48,519
Tesla After 2020 Incentives: $38,529

Solar vs Compostion: +$24,922 ($2.25/watt)
Solar vs Metal: +$12,150 ($1.09/watt)

Here's a data-point on pricing, my roof was totaled this summer in a hail storm and we got bids on a replacement roof earlier this year. Bids are from a reputable local company.

Any idea of comparison based on the new solar shingle pricing?

Would this shed snow in colder climates?
It's glass, so it would shed snow like your windshield does. If attic is warm, yes. If attic is cold, not so much. If heavy snow pack and steep pitch, then probably a lot like a metal roof.

Which brings up a question about snow stops to prevent injuries or damage for areas with decks or doorways below them. I wonder if Tesla has made any such provisions?

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
It's glass, so it would shed snow like your windshield does. If attic is warm, yes. If attic is cold, not so much. If heavy snow pack and steep pitch, then probably a lot like a metal roof.

Which brings up a question about snow stops to prevent injuries or damage for areas with decks or doorways below them. I wonder if Tesla has made any such provisions?

Most attics are vented to ambient, and those that aren't typically have insulated roof decks. Either way, the house should not be heating the shingles. On top of that, the photos I've seen show them on furring strips so there is an air/ ventilation gap under them.
They are dark which will help if any part is exposed. Sone other systems have built in heaters for snow removal.

As to snow stops, those come in self adhesive version that could be applied to inactive shingles, but yeah they would need to plan for a row of those.

OUCH on that metal roof pricing. What if you don't go with standing steam but the typical 26 gauge metal roofing? I'm just finishing up a gambrel roof on a shed (20' long, two sections of 5'6" due to the angle, and for each side) which came out to be about 440 sq ft of coverage. This included the eaves, ridge and drip trim. Total material cost was approximately $700 for a will-call in California.

Metal roofs last ... forever. For snow country, they shed (for the most part, you need warm days) and are fire resistant to flying embers (you have to close off your soffits) and withstand the 100+ mile wind driven pine cones we have out here.

I am interested in this. I currently have a cement tile roof replacement scheduled and adding solar panels (3,200+ roof, 9.2 kw of Panasonic panels with Solar Edge optimizers and inverter. No battery) Around 65K before rebates. But roof/installer is swamped and is very poor at communication, so I am thinking about ditching them.

Just went through 2 days of power outage here in Northern California, and they may shutdown power again in Wednesday. So Tesla roof for less money with Powerwall is interesting. Big question is can Tesla deliver on their promise. Second, I really was hoping for a more tile look roof to match the neighborhood.

Last edited: