Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla launching Solar Roof V3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most attics are vented to ambient, and those that aren't typically have insulated roof decks. Either way, the house should not be heating the shingles. On top of that, the photos I've seen show them on furring strips so there is an air/ ventilation gap under them.
They are dark which will help if any part is exposed. Sone other systems have built in heaters for snow removal.

As to snow stops, those come in self adhesive version that could be applied to inactive shingles, but yeah they would need to plan for a row of those.
I haven't seen self-adhesive snow stops. How well would you expect them to adhere to grooved glass?

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
I am interested in this. Big question is can Tesla deliver on their promise. Second, I really was hoping for a more tile look roof to match the neighborhood.

There was such a roof displayed, along with a French slate version, in the initial dog-and-pony show. Presumably those versions will come quite some time after production of the flat, grooved-shingle version ramps up.

Reactions: mongo
714A06AB-D330-4371-8F8B-A3AEB98A5F37.png
B345375B-9A72-4EF1-B0D5-94AAFE1E6D55.png
FWIW GAF also is selling solar roofs
Where? I checked their site, this looks like panels named solar roof.

From this page, Solar Roof | Tesla

• Hail Rating
    Class 3 ANSI FM 4473
    (up to 1.75" diameter hail)
When I looked up the speed the 1.75"D frozen ice ball was shot at 71.75 mph (105.25 fps), 5 feet from the target panel.
Any idea how this rating stacks up to other roofing materials? Especially tiles?

My Brava composite (not to be confused with asphalt composition) roof tiles are impact rated to UL's highest level, class 4. That is a 2" steel ball dropped twice from 20 feet, impacting the same point on the tile.

Last edited:
From this page, Solar Roof | Tesla

• Hail Rating
    Class 3 ANSI FM 4473
    (up to 1.75" diameter hail)
When I looked up the speed the 1.75"D frozen ice ball was shot at 71.75 mph (105.25 fps), 5 feet from the target panel.
I just looked up the referenced ice ball test
https://www.iko.com/na/wp-content/u...est-Standard-for-FM4473-Impact-Resistance.pdf
Class 3 = impact of 14.95 foot pounds (20.3 joules).
Class 4 with 2" ice ball = impact of 26.8 ft lb (29.5 joules)

Didn't the original Tesla Roof release data show comparative steel ball tests vs three other tile types?

That does seem high...

Even it that is correct - what's the 'ROI' on the asphalt shingle roof? I bet it's more than 23 years...which would make Solar Roof cheaper already

There is no ROI for asphalt roof, rather it is a depreciating asset.

I must be adding up the solar calculator wrong I come up with a ROI of 23 years on my Home. Hopefully in a few years it will cost the same as a asphalt shingle roof

Was that 23 for the total price, or the price delta?
Even at a 23 year payback, rolling solar into a 30 year mortgage or home equity loan gives you a positive return from day 1 compared to standard roofing.

They can be crap in CA also. My inspector noted that my house had what appeared to be a 10 year roof that was already over 10 years old (and the previous homeowner who was in for just about 10 years admitted they hadn't replaced the roof). Granted it lasted another almost 15 years before it was replaced, but shingles blew off with almost every storm, and I'm pretty sure water got through it as well, the only thing I had going for me was the original shake roof was still underneath (apparently a code violation to leave it in place, but clearly the last person to replace the roof didn't care), and that seemed to be sound enough to redirect whatever water got underneath to the edges, so my fascia boards were warping like crazy but at least no water got into the attic/garage. But in any decent wind you'd see a bunch of shingles flap up like those air-brake features when NASCAR cars get turned around. :p