Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla launching Solar Roof V3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“We are about to complete version 3 of the solar roof. This is actually quite a hard technology problem to have an integrated solar cell with a roof tile, have it look good, and last for 30 years.” - Elon

I thought the tiles lasted forever? Am I not remembering him saying that right?

Reactions: Ulmo
“We are about to complete version 3 of the solar roof. This is actually quite a hard technology problem to have an integrated solar cell with a roof tile, have it look good, and last for 30 years.” - Elon

I thought the tiles lasted forever? Am I not remembering him saying that right?

From the website :
Tile warranty Infinity, or the lifetime of your house, whichever comes first
Power warranty 30 years
Weatherization warranty 30 years

The new price point looks to be high, if so that would be a bit sad for me as I need 2 roofs.
It's not really a savings but paying Tesla for a roof instead of your utility over time. At the end of the loan you have a robust roof and lower electric bills Only makes sense if you would have that electric bill for that time or can recoup prorated price in home sale. Also remember to include the replacement cost of a 15-year roof.

It's not really a savings but paying Tesla for a roof instead of your utility over time. At the end of the loan you have a robust roof and lower electric bills Only makes sense if you would have that electric bill for that time or can recoup prorated price in home sale. Also remember to include the replacement cost of a 15-year roof.

What roof has such a short lifespan that it requires replacement in 15 years?
Maybe it's different in Maine compared to in CA.

What roof has such a short lifespan that it requires replacement in 15 years?
Maybe it's different in Maine compared to in CA.
My house roof badly needs replacement. The previous owners supposedly replaced it back in 2003, so that's just over 15 years.

I'd love a solar roof but it's far too expensive compared to an asphalt roof + solar panels. Almost twice as expensive for me. :/

Elon Musk on Twitter
Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 15.13.58.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Ludalicious and GSP
My house roof badly needs replacement. The previous owners supposedly replaced it back in 2003, so that's just over 15 years.

I'd love a solar roof but it's far too expensive compared to an asphalt roof + solar panels. Almost twice as expensive for me. :/

this is the correct comparison. Elon keeps saying electricity + regular roof > solar roof - electricity

what everyone should be comparing is regular roof - solar panel electricity