TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla lease denied due to lack of credit history

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xza8, Apr 16, 2014.

1. xza8

xza8 Member

#1 xza8, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    My company was denied a car lease from Tesla Finance despite excellent personal and business tax returns.

I'm not going to post numbers as that is not the point of this thread but just wanted to let fellow members know that you should think twice before considering them as I wasted time and a hard inquiry on my report for nothing.

Update with Details
    - a personal guarantee was agreed, it is part of the leasing program
    - the principal earned almost a million in salary
    - the company earned several millions in net profit
    - the company has $1M+ in cash

The reason was lack of credit history.

Since I like the car, I will just buy the car outright despite the wife nagging that I should get a Porsche (already have one, want something new).

So my advice is unless you have excellent credit history, think twice before applying for their lease as you may waste a hard hit on a super tight underwriting process.

Update #2:

Going to get a Panamera GTS instead... love the quality of the interior and the roar of the V8.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Is Tesla the one administering this lease program or does someone handle the program for them?

3. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I know no details but credit relies on more than income. You mention good tax returns but not credit scores of company nor principals

4. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Also how long you have been in business? I know that has a lot to do with business lease approvals as well.

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

need..more...details...

6. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

There's mention of personal tax returns but no mention of a personal guarantee - was one asked for and refused? If so, it makes sense Tesla would refuse if the owner of the "excelllent" business bawked at a personal guarantee. That would be a sound businesss practice on the part of Tesla.

7. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

This is good to hear, as a TSLA investor

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

forgive my noobness but what is a "personal guarantee"?

9. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

If the business goes under, Tesla can go after the owner and his personal assets.

10. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

I was told that personal credit scores are used also (even though it is a business lease), perhaps this is the problem

11. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Any vehicle I have leased in the past through my small business has required my personal guarantee. I believe this is standard. The business has been in existence for about 30 years. My first business leased vehicle was when the business was less than five years old and a personal credit check and business tax return was required, as I recall. Subsequent leases only required my guarantee.

12. tga

tga Active Member

I was a partner in a small business way back when. We applied for business credit, and the bank was more concerned about the creditworthiness/income of the partners than the company as a whole (although part of that was due to it being a startup with minimal income). Personal guarantees were a must in our case.

And there isn't really a "Tesla Finance", anyway. It's all done through Wells Fargo and US Bank, right?

13. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

No longer correct, actually:

14. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Maybe your credit sucks? Maybe you refused to sign a personal guarantee? Maybe you haven't been in business long enough? Maybe your income is insufficient? Without telling us the actual reason for the denial, your post is rather meaningless. Having nice tax returns doesn't get you a lease. There are other factors.

What was the reason for your decline?

15. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

We need the OP back to answer the personal guarantee issue. Really, his business has nothing to do with the lease because no lender will provide a business with a leased vehicle without a personal guarantee unless you are fortune 500 company. Without an answer, it seems he wasted Tesla's time and not the other way around.

16. tga

tga Active Member

You're right, I missed that blog entry. Kinda surprises me - I would have thought there'd be better uses for their cash than financing cars, but whatever...

17. green1

green1 Active Member

Or more to the point, they have better uses for the customer's cash than giving it to finance companies... There's a reason traditional dealerships push their financing so hard, it's a major source of income.

18. invisik

invisik Member

That's unfortunate.

I wish the business leasing would have been around when we purchased in March as we really wanted to do that instead of buy.

-m

19. tga

tga Active Member

I'm not sure I understand your point - I meant that I would think there are better returns to be had by spending the money on strategic investments like the gigafactory, expanding the production lines, designing the X and E, or rolling out Superchargers in underserved areas (New England comes to mind). These could easily be double-digit ROI, vs a couple of percentage points for financing a car (especially since they have no problem selling everything they can build anyway).

Every time a car dealer has tried to push their financing on me, it's been with an outside bank with which they've arranged a kickback for loan origination. They've always tried to discourage me from the car company's financing arm, "save your cash", etc.

20. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

Also important to note: the $7500 tax credit is NOT available on the business lease. I heard Tesla can't claim it(which I don't understand why) so they can't pass it on to the leasee.